Dell 2007WFP

I was having banding problems on my 2005fpw so i decided to call up dell to see if i can get a replacement.

After 20 minutes of waiting for a rep;;;;;;;; the freaking rep hung up on me!. I was so ****ed off, but it subsided in the next 30 minute wait for a new representative! -_- Lucky them.

I hung up after hearing an ad for their chat support so i used that.

The rep took maybe 30 minutes to diagnose my problem and give me a solution: "I am going to replace the lcd, will you verify the address?" --- Sadly he/she didn't clarify what model I would be receiving. The disclaimer said they would replace it with whatever is available in their warehouse. *Here's hoping they have no 2005's available in the east coast* lol

--

Anyone have any experience with getting an LCD replaced- do they give you tracking information? I bought the LCD when i lived in NYC, and now i live in Upstate NY, and even though the representative said he/she changed the address, I would really feel more comfortable if i saw a tracking page, etc. I shot off another e-mail referencing the case # etc.. hopefully i get a reply soon.

Also, do i have to pay for the return? The disclaimer says they would include a return label and i am assuming it would be free.

Well it all worked out pretty darn nicely. Got a rev A02 2007wfp, packed up my 2005fpw and passed it along to the dhl man. I was hoping for a rev A03, but oh well, I don't mind it since there is no banding and no dead pixels. There is heavy heavy banding in the multimedia mode etc (though i read about this so i wasnt so surprised). I just stick to desktop mode so ah well.

Im glad i decided to check out my options when my old lcd was failing. I am still planning on buying a 3007wfp soon, and now i have a nice new 2007wfp that i can still use with my laptop for some time. Very surprised at how great dell is lol; customer service aside.

I just received my 2007WFP yesterday. I was hesitant at first about this monitor after hearing some of the initial issues it had. It's awesome. So far I haven't noticed anything wrong, but I haven't played any games to test it out yet.

How do I run the branding test? What other things should I test for? My monitor rev. is A02.

Found this awesome article! Finally some pics comparing COMPOSITE to S video and VGA! yay!

HERE!

And what do you know, they say the same as the people in this thread, spend the 25 bucks and get the VGA cable. You've got a 360, so you should be able to afford a stinkin 25.00 cable :).

I noticed some backlight bleeding in my rev a02 2007wfp replacement;;; called up dell again and getting a new one tomorrow, rev a03 brand new. Wish i had gotten the a03 in the first place though lol, alls well that ends well.

i just did the same thing that jlmodell did, but i skipped calling dell and just emailed them :p saved me a whole bunch of time (Y)

anyways it should have just shipped yesterday or today, so i'll see what i get. i live in ohio so i figure id be getting mine from the same area as jlmodell... hopefully it's a 2007! i didnt know anything about the revisions on this model so i'll post back about my experience.

i dont believe it. they actually overnighted a 2007 to me! incredible. i got revision A02, but that doesnt surprise me. so far so good. i dont have any dead pixels, color banding, and no noticable bleeding. i'll have to test the bleeding more later though.

why did they make the height adjustment so much shorter on the 2007 vs. the 2005? i actually have to look down at the monitor now. :unsure:

oh... wait... i might have several dead or stuck pixels... ugg.

yep, ive found about 5 dead pixels... and a stuck pixel area thats rather large. it never quite turns to black, but rather a bluish color which is quite noticable during videos. lame. im sending this back for another.

Edited by Jdawg683

a new update for anyone watching this thread. I emailed the customer service rep again this afternoon about the dead pixels and such. He emailed me back about an hour later saying he'll be glad to ship out a 2nd replacement. Dell's customer service is awesome! Let's just hope this next one is a keeper.

Dells site still says the 2nd replacement monitor has not shipped....... yet I received it this morning. I'm gonna wait til monday and see what comes of this. lol

I just ordered a 2007WFP recently (receiving it this Monday). I was a bit hesitant but the price was about $380 Canadian so I thought might as well do it haha.

I'm hoping it finally becomes the LCD that pleases me.. Because my luck so far has been quite bad. We'll see I suppose.

What's the difference between revision A02 and A03?

Id like to know the same thing. I did ask the Dell Support Rep in my most recent email, so i'll have to wait and see what he says.

Guys I just received my Dell 2007WFP today. No noticeable light leakage, excellent blacks.. No dead pixels as far as I can tell.

The quality of the monitor, both aesthetically and the panel is amazing.. After countless monitor's and being disappointed I'm very very pleased with this one.

Even without adjustments it looks great, right out of the box plugged in.

The only downside I can mention is that the DVI cables that came in the box did not work. Luckily I had a Monster DVI 400 cable that worked great.

Oh and luckily I received an S-IPS Panel A02 Revision.

I received the 2nd replacement monitor today, and it's still not satisfactory. This time there is a single stuck pixel close to the center of the screen, there's noticable color banding while watching videos, and the backlight bleeding is quite bad in 2 of the corners. All this from a supposed A03 revision. At this point I say f*ck it. I'll just keep my 2005. at least it didnt have dead/stuck pixels or color banding.

I received the 2nd replacement monitor today, and it's still not satisfactory. This time there is a single stuck pixel close to the center of the screen, there's noticable color banding while watching videos, and the backlight bleeding is quite bad in 2 of the corners. All this from a supposed A03 revision. At this point I say f*ck it. I'll just keep my 2005. at least it didnt have dead/stuck pixels or color banding.

Damn it sounds like I was really lucky. I've had very very bad luck when it comes to LCD monitors so to get a 2007WFP with no dead/stuck pixels and no backlight bleeding is shocking..

But I am curious, what is it that you mean by "Color Banding"? I know if you select "Multimedia, Gaming" modes you get banding because of the enhancing chip inside of the monitor, but in Desktop mode it's supposed to be gone. Although I do notice in certain games there's some banding.. But I think it's more of the game itself and it's rendering (or my video card) rather then the monitor.

Damn it sounds like I was really lucky. I've had very very bad luck when it comes to LCD monitors so to get a 2007WFP with no dead/stuck pixels and no backlight bleeding is shocking..

But I am curious, what is it that you mean by "Color Banding"? I know if you select "Multimedia, Gaming" modes you get banding because of the enhancing chip inside of the monitor, but in Desktop mode it's supposed to be gone. Although I do notice in certain games there's some banding.. But I think it's more of the game itself and it's rendering (or my video card) rather then the monitor.

all 3 modes are the same w/ the banding, although multimedia mode's visual quality is lackluster. on desktop mode, while watching an Microsoft HD sample video... you can see banding. i dont notice it [as much] on lower quality videos. i have not tried to play games yet... or dvds.

at this point id rather just keep my 2005 and deal w/ the backlight bleeding. at least it didnt have banding or stuck pixels.

I just watched Wolf Creek which has a ton of night shots and that single stuck pixel REALLY annoys the crap out of me. on top of this, the backlight bleeding seems to get worse as the movie plays, but that could just be my imagination. back this monitor goes.

all 3 modes are the same w/ the banding, although multimedia mode's visual quality is lackluster. on desktop mode, while watching an Microsoft HD sample video... you can see banding. i dont notice it [as much] on lower quality videos. i have not tried to play games yet... or dvds.

at this point id rather just keep my 2005 and deal w/ the backlight bleeding. at least it didnt have banding or stuck pixels.

Something must have been "very" wrong with your monitor. Because that isn't true at all. The Dell 2007WFP has an enhancing chip inside of it. The first version of the 2007WFP used this chip for ALL modes.

However after people complained about banding (which it had a LOT of), they disabled the chip for Desktop mode. However if you switch to Multimedia or Gaming mode you will notice how much banding there really is.

In Desktop running colour banding tests, the Dell 2007WFP looks amazing and has almost zero banding.

And you will notice banding in videos. It's unavoidable when videos use compression (and trust me.. WMV HD vids USE A LOT of compression).

You see.. When you get a high-quality monitor like the Dell 2007WFP.. Any imperfections in what you're viewing become "very" noticeable. So when you have videos that are low resolution, or use a great deal of compression, you WILL see banding or pixelization.

Think of it like this.. If you have a cheap pair of speakers.. You wouldn't notice much difference between mp3 and say.. CD Audio or a Lossless audio format.. However if you buy some expensive speakers, you can tell how vastly different they are.. It's the same logic here, you have a higher quality monitor, anything lower quality will show its flaws much more then it would on a lower quality monitor.

wow....reading all this, i dont know if i really want one anymore.

Lol don't get discouraged.. Look I'm a HUGE videophile. Which means I'm very picky when it comes to the quality of my display.

I tried a Samsung 17" way back with backlight bleeding/ect. I recently tried an LG L204WT (20" 5ms TN Panel), and then a Samsung 931C (19" 2ms 97% Colour Gamut) and I was HORRIBLY disappointed. The image quality was subpar and it just wasn't good enough.

The Dell 2007WFP that I just received on the otherhand is amazing. No dead/stuck pixels. No backlight bleeding. Even without tweaking the settings the moment I plugged it in the colours were vibrant and beautiful (every monitor I've used in the past was overly bright and required tweaking before looking even remotely good). Also the black levels on this monitor are just great.

what's all this color banding you guys are talking about? In all three modes, i don't have the issue with my monitor. Perhaps someone could take a picture?

The best way to see is to test it for yourself.

Use this program and it'll bring up a gradient test image (No virus I promise :p). http://xtknight.atothosting.com/tools/gradlin-v0.2-fs.exe

Now if you want to see what I'm talking about when I say an "enhancing chip" causes banding. Try switching from Desktop Mode to Multimedia or Gaming when the image from this test is on your screen.. You will be amazed what happens.

OK guyz.........I'm gonna be getting a 20" Wido next week.......3 questions?

1. How are the 'blacks' on the 2007WFP?........reportedly weak in some reviews.

2. How does the 2007WFP compare to the Viewsonic VX2025WM?

3. I know the Dell is snazzy to look at........but what is the REAL gaming performance like (reportedly 16ms or 8ms?).......and being a Photoshop user........is this the ideal choice as regards that too?

:unsure: