Dell 2007WFP

Ive hooked up my 2005 again and watched the same HD videos as i did on the 2007. the banding is MUCH less on the 2005 than the 2007. the backlight bleeding on the 2007 while watching Wolf Creek was terribly annoying... but again, it's something that i get used to. the bleeding on my 2005 is horrible and ive gotten used to it. but like i mentioned before, that single stuck pixel really really really annoys me when watching anything dark or black. it's a single pin prick of light glaring at you... it's distracting.

i noticed on the box that it blatantly says "refurbished" and "revision A03". my guess is that they took an older A02 model and flashed it to A03, covered the sticker on the back of the unit w/ a little A03 sticker (it's not placed right) and shipped it.

OK guyz.........I'm gonna be getting a 20" Wido next week.......3 questions?

1. How are the 'blacks' on the 2007WFP?........reportedly weak in some reviews.

2. How does the 2007WFP compare to the Viewsonic VX2025WM?

3. I know the Dell is snazzy to look at........but what is the REAL gaming performance like (reportedly 16ms or 8ms?).......and being a Photoshop user........is this the ideal choice as regards that too?

:unsure:

1. The blacks are amazing. Trust me I'm picky so I know my stuff haha. However it is going to depend on your lighting conditions. Personally I use flourescent 28w bulbs (daylight) and it actually improves the black levels of LCD monitors in my house. There's almost no blue tint to the black levels which was.. Shocking.. So that's a very good sign.

2. I haven't personally used the Viewsonic VX2025WM in my home but I have viewed it in stores.. It's TN and honestly.. For a Photoshop user (which means you're picky like me, though I don't do photo editing) the Dell 2007WFP is FAR better.

3. The gaming performance is very good. The reported timing is 16ms, however as some reviews have said the real timing is more like 8ms (which is the b to b level for it as well I believe). Is it going to be as good as fast as a 2ms monitor? Heck no! But for me it's just fine, and honestly at this point my computer isn't even fast enough to really handle gaming at 1680x1050 lol. Hopefully once I upgrade in the future I'll be able to truly get my gaming on with this monitor.

3. The gaming performance is very good. The reported timing is 16ms, however as some reviews have said the real timing is more like 8ms (which is the b to b level for it as well I believe). Is it going to be as good as fast as a 2ms monitor? Heck no! But for me it's just fine, and honestly at this point my computer isn't even fast enough to really handle gaming at 1680x1050 lol. Hopefully once I upgrade in the future I'll be able to truly get my gaming on with this monitor.

i agree. gaming on both the 2007 and 2005 is perfect.

Ive hooked up my 2005 again and watched the same HD videos as i did on the 2007. the banding is MUCH less on the 2005 than the 2007. the backlight bleeding on the 2007 while watching Wolf Creek was terribly annoying... but again, it's something that i get used to. the bleeding on my 2005 is horrible and ive gotten used to it. but like i mentioned before, that single stuck pixel really really really annoys me when watching anything dark or black. it's a single pin prick of light glaring at you... it's distracting.

i noticed on the box that it blatantly says "refurbished" and "revision A03". my guess is that they took an older A02 model and flashed it to A03, covered the sticker on the back of the unit w/ a little A03 sticker (it's not placed right) and shipped it.

You have to realize, the 2005WFP as good as it may be.. It's not as sharp, as high in contrast as the 2007WFP. So that could be why you're noticing more banding.

But don't get me wrong. I haven't seen your monitor in person. For all I know you got some refurbished piece of crap. And I will say, if the 2007WFP I received had backlight bleeding like yours, it would be returned too lol. Same goes for the stuck pixels/ect. I can't stand that lol!

I'm curious also.. Did you buy a brand new Dell at full price? And what you received was refurbished?? That doesn't seem right.. In fact I'd complain to them and demand a brand new monitor that they test beforehand to make sure it has no dead/stuck pixels or backlight bleeding (trust me if you get the right people they will do this).

But what I will say is.. I've run banding tests on this monitor and it does very very well. However if I switch the mode from "Desktop" to the other two, the banding makes it look like a completely different monitor. But since those two modes don't really do jack for the quality of the image in any other way, there's no reason to use it lol.

But what I will say is.. I've run banding tests on this monitor and it does very very well. However if I switch the mode from "Desktop" to the other two, the banding makes it look like a completely different monitor. But since those two modes don't really do jack for the quality of the image in any other way, there's no reason to use it lol.

So basically what your saying is........if your used to staring at a 'pear' all day.....and look at an 'orange' thereafter.........your gonna notice the imperfections?......

LOL......I know its a crude way to put it?..........but you get the gist?

1. The blacks are amazing. Trust me I'm picky so I know my stuff haha. However it is going to depend on your lighting conditions. Personally I use flourescent 28w bulbs (daylight) and it actually improves the black levels of LCD monitors in my house. There's almost no blue tint to the black levels which was.. Shocking.. So that's a very good sign.

2. I haven't personally used the Viewsonic VX2025WM in my home but I have viewed it in stores.. It's TN and honestly.. For a Photoshop user (which means you're picky like me, though I don't do photo editing) the Dell 2007WFP is FAR better.

OK........I'm getting convinced....LOL...........just want to make the RIGHT choice before the cash flows?......what GPU are you testing the DELL on?

So basically what your saying is........if your used to staring at a 'pear' all day.....and look at an 'orange' thereafter.........your gonna notice the imperfections?......

LOL......I know its a crude way to put it?..........but you get the gist?

OK........I'm getting convinced....LOL...........just want to make the RIGHT choice before the cash flows?......what GPU are you testing the DELL on?

Lmao.. I'm not really familiar with your "pear" and "orange" statement.. Pretty much all I was trying to say is.. The higher quality your monitor is, when you stick a low resolution compressed video on it it will look WORSE then it would on a lower quality monitor. But if you stick something "very high" quality on the monitor it will look floor ya ;).

And I'm using a BFG Geforce 6800GT (AGP) with it. I'm sure a 7800+ series GPU would be a better fit with this monitor lol.

You have to realize, the 2005WFP as good as it may be.. It's not as sharp, as high in contrast as the 2007WFP. So that could be why you're noticing more banding.

But don't get me wrong. I haven't seen your monitor in person. For all I know you got some refurbished piece of crap. And I will say, if the 2007WFP I received had backlight bleeding like yours, it would be returned too lol. Same goes for the stuck pixels/ect. I can't stand that lol!

I'm curious also.. Did you buy a brand new Dell at full price? And what you received was refurbished?? That doesn't seem right.. In fact I'd complain to them and demand a brand new monitor that they test beforehand to make sure it has no dead/stuck pixels or backlight bleeding (trust me if you get the right people they will do this).

i personally dont notice the difference in contrast :huh:

i believe it was refurbished. the box itself says it, and the revision A03 sticker on the back of the unit was clearly misplaced over the A02.

so, the 1st replacement had stuck AND dead pixels. this one had a single stuck, annoying-ass pixel... it's going back.

i bought my 2005 about 16 months ago at full price (well, a good deal through Slickdeals, but not refurbished)

what if i asked for a 2407 instead? :whistle:

Cool......LOL........sorry for my stupid analysis......... :D :laugh:

Reason I ask tho buddy.......is I put the same question on another board and got this.......

DO NOT get the Dell 2007WFP. I have read some reports on that one about it having some serious problems with the DVI when running high resolution. I am sure if you google it you will find some forum talking about it!!

heh, i think everyone's like me and gets a little biased. i love the quality of my 2005 (w/ the exception of the bleeding). and ive now had two 2007s in a row that were not up to par. ive never heard anything about DVI problems at high resolutions. i only run at 16x10 so idk.

I'm not real sure about the setup of the Dell 2407.

After setting it up and selecting the 1600 x 1200 mode I found the screen to be larger in contrast to my 19" iiYama. Shouldn't the 2407 screen text be as small as my CRT. Like the start bar was at least twice the size of my CRT an the same resolution. When I'm in my browser you can see the pixels that make up the text in the 2407. In my CRT you can't but on the 2407 the text is much larger.

I have a Dell 8500 laptop with a 15.4, Wide Ultra Extended Graphics Array LCD. I was expecting the 2407 to have as sharp of graphics as that.

Should the 2407 have as sharp of graphics as my CRT?

I may not have had my setting right, but Dell service was useless when I called.

Root Access,

Turn on CLEARTYPE in the Display/Appearance/Effects/ panel ("Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts")

It is designed for rendering text on LCD screens in a better way that standard font screen smoothing.

Also, make sure your screen size is set to the monitor native, and you can always turn the DPI from 96 to 120 in the Display/Settings/Advanced/General control panel tab.

Those changes will see you never going back to CRT for your main monitor.

I keep a 21" hitachi on my main machine only because it allows me to play quake 3 online at a 120 khz refresh. ;)

If I could find an LCD that can handle that, I'd be sooooo there. :)

Hope this helps.

Cool......LOL........sorry for my stupid analysis......... :D :laugh:

Reason I ask tho buddy.......is I put the same question on another board and got this.......

Really? I've had zero issues with DVI. Works perfect. They might be talking about the multimedia/gaming mode banding (it only happens in DVI). But on Desktop mode there's nothing wrong with DVI.

ok lets get this straight. The 2007wfp is an excellent monitor if not one of the best on the market. Im running 5 of these at home and ive not had a single problem. 4 of them are rev A00 with no banding whatsoever. The other one is an A02 which also looks great, contrast is great and the picture clarity is amazing. The S-IPS panels are the closest thing ive seen on an lcd to crt reproduction if not better. As for the poster who said about a refurbished A03. Its well known that Dell had to flash ALL the monitors they had in stock because originally these things were stock piled in warehouses and were being already shipped before any firmware updates. Dell had to flash every single monitor and each one got a new badge. It could have been yours was originally an A00 or A01 which was sent back for some reason (sounds like stuck pixels) and it may have got back into the stock pile of new monitors for some reason. As for the 16ms response its not the same as a 16ms response on a TN panel. I would liken the response time on the 2007wfp to more that of a 8 possibly 6ms response time of a TN panel. Its amazing for games. The only problem i did have was in BF2 my FPS was 90 to 100 but i was running the monitor in its default 1680 by 1050 at 60hz so there was an issue with tearing but that occurs with all lcd monitors. Just had to enable vsynch and it was sorted. As for the E207 dont bother. If you check some comments over at hardocp.com people with the e207 have had extreme backlight bleeding and alot of banding, worse so than the 2007wfp. Sorry but the e207 is the poormans widescreen. Its ok for email and word anything else forget it.

As for the dell 2407 it has more issues than the 2007wfp. The 2407 is on rev A03 and dell still havnt sorted out the bugs on it. Besides why have 24 inch when you can pick up 2 20 inch w/s for less and get more desktop space ?

You do need a hefty gfx card though to get the best out of them. Im running a xfx 7800gs and i can just run dual monitors each at 1680 by 1050 but even then i get slight lag in certain situations such as full screen youtube video or flash animations in full screen ie7 but after resizing the window its all good. If your thinking about the 2007 then go for it it's a great monitor and you will be pleased with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not real sure about the setup of the Dell 2407.

After setting it up and selecting the 1600 x 1200 mode I found the screen to be larger in contrast to my 19" iiYama. Shouldn't the 2407 screen text be as small as my CRT. Like the start bar was at least twice the size of my CRT an the same resolution. When I'm in my browser you can see the pixels that make up the text in the 2407. In my CRT you can't but on the 2407 the text is much larger.

I have a Dell 8500 laptop with a 15.4, Wide Ultra Extended Graphics Array LCD. I was expecting the 2407 to have as sharp of graphics as that.

Should the 2407 have as sharp of graphics as my CRT?

I may not have had my setting right, but Dell service was useless when I called.

The reason your text and everything was so much bigger is because the native resolution of the 2407 is NOT 1600x1200. LCD's are not good at running outside the native resolution of the panel. Especially if you had it set to scale the image to the panel's full display

Mine turned up on monday....it's sweet.

Takes a bit of getting used to (positioning etc) but widescreen is definitely worth it in windows! Games when properly configured(either ingame settings, or via ini/inf/cfg/registry file editing) for 1680x1050 look awesome also!

I got an A03 rev panel, I havent found any dead pixels, or any other colour defects that spoil the whole 'wow factor' :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...