OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

voltage, myabe you should let your friend fight his own battles. Being agressive like that will have probably stopped any chance of any one of the staff helping you out.

Thats harsh...my sig was over the limit the other day and I wasn't PM'ed but thats a different story...you must get 3 strikes then your warned surely?

I don't think so. This has happened to me before. I got a warning for my signature before straight away. I'm on 60% at the moment. 2 for signatures, and the other was because I accidentaly made a racist comment when talking about how England was going downhill.

Speaking of that, I believe that that happened more than 6 months ago, and I haven't had a warning reduction yet. The rules state that your warning goes away after 6 months.

P.S. To the moderators: Is it possible for me to appeal my ban? Mine was an accident, because I forgot to change one of the pictures from .jpg to .png. Like I mentioned in my last post on this thread, I forgot the name of the guy that banned me.

Is it possible at all to somehow make it to where mods only get a certain amount of warnings they can hand out?

You have your different branches of mods then you have the Supervisors and Admins. I'd say take the lowest branch, your average Mod and they only get like 5 warnings they could give out for that day. Up to the next branch of Mod and they get like 10 and so on.

I've also seen mods that have deleted posts or signatures for no reason at all. I also saw some give out warnings over something pretty small and stupid that didn't break any rules at all, but they got a warning anyway because the mod put their personal hatred of the person into their decision. There's a few mods on here that really hate when they've been proven wrong in things and take it out on them using their mod position.

It's obviously a pretty big issue that's being ignored. Mostly because these mods know how to clear their tracks to make it look like they're not abusing their positions.

I haven't had any real issues personally with any mod lately. But a while back there was one who would constantly delete my posts simply because I proved him wrong in a quote he posted. At one time when I was replying in a thread over something. After I hit Add Reply, the page loaded and my post had already been edited by that mod. I have high speed internet. When I click Add Reply on this page it's maybe 1.5 seconds before I see it added. Now exactly how was he able to edit soo quickly as if he was actually watching as I typed it out? Others in the thread actually noticed how my post time and his edit time were exactly the same and some of their posts got removed. I had screenshots of all that and sent them to an admin and never got an answer. It made me wonder if the PM I sent ever made it to the Admin at all. So I dropped the issue and eventually he gave up after about a month of acting very immature.

Right now, I'm not complaining. Just getting my 2 cents in on this because I've seen the issue that many people are bringing up and seeing some mods say that it doesn't exist really aggravates me when me and others know for a fact that it does.

My honest opinion of the warning system is that it's like the post counts. There's really no good reason at all to have it. It doesn't solve anything and a lot of immature people will purposely come in here and act stupid just to see how fast they can get it up to 100%

I like how people complaining they got warned for a signature violation forget to mention they had 6 unwarned sig violations in the past. How lenient should we be?

Whats up is a friend of mine got a warning from a particular admin for using the word "fanboy" in a write up, which wasn't even referring to a single person. This was NOT against the specific policy but was warned anyways, and ive heard other complains about the same mod. Also I had some legitimate concerns that I needed addressed and all PM's sent to the admins are constantly ignored. Rather rude dont you think.. i know i know..im the rude one right..cya

PS: if you care about the issues, perhaps u should delete your post and mine and we can discuss it through PM's, if you can be bothered to use that feature.

PM mods or even supers... admins aren't here to deal with small concerns like this... they are responsible for maintain the site, coding, advertising, and paying the bills etc.... Mods and supers are here to deal with warns... if you feel you've been (or your friend) has been warned for something that wasn't bad... then PM a supervisor... aka mods on steroids.

Is it possible at all to somehow make it to where mods only get a certain amount of warnings they can hand out?

You have your different branches of mods then you have the Supervisors and Admins. I'd say take the lowest branch, your average Mod and they only get like 5 warnings they could give out for that day. Up to the next branch of Mod and they get like 10 and so on.

What if thats the only mod on for that period of time (which happens a lot)... and there is a revolt, outbreak of problem members, massive spam attack, etc...

They'd be screwed. That concept is out the window right there.

Also... we only have around 5 warns a day on average... so your idea that we are handing out warnings left and right is also wrong.

Edited by shockz

I got a warning today about my signature exceeding the file size limit. I forgot to change my main picture in my signature to the .png version I had saved, so that's why it went over. I want to appeal this ban, but I can't remember who banned me. I got the message today, but I deleted it.

Ok firstly it was a warn you recieved, not a ban, otherwise you wouldnt be able to post right now.

Secondly, why dont you give all the information if you are going to take something like this publice... i.e how many times had you disobade(sp?) that rule on signature sizes?

Whats up is a friend of mine got a warning from a particular admin for using the word "fanboy" in a write up, which wasn't even referring to a single person. This was NOT against the specific policy but was warned anyways, and ive heard other complains about the same mod. Also I had some legitimate concerns that I needed addressed and all PM's sent to the admins are constantly ignored. Rather rude dont you think.. i know i know..im the rude one right..cya

PS: if you care about the issues, perhaps u should delete your post and mine and we can discuss it through PM's, if you can be bothered to use that feature.

Look, the admins and mods have a lot if not hundreds of PM's every day.

I used to think along the same lines as you, but realise now that Neowin is a free for all community and the mods and admins do their best and a damn good job at keeping the place great.

Thats not to say there ARE one or two mods who are somewhat power hungry, but if you keep your nose clean you wont run in to issues with them.

Warns come and go and they dont realy mean anything, so just live with it like everyone else does.

I like how people complaining they got warned for a signature violation forget to mention they had 6 unwarned sig violations in the past. How lenient should we be?

Yes i thought that may be the case. However, why dont you just remove the posts and close the thread? I didnt think these things where up for discussion in the public domain? (not that im telling you how to do your job Mr, bangbang sir :rofl: )

i have a warning and well i have to admit that this makes me feel a bit safer knowing that our mods are doing their job what is the point of a moderation team if they arent going to moderate anything.

Thats not to say there ARE one or two mods who are somewhat power hungry, but if you keep your nose clean you wont run in to issues with them.

Then why is nothing done about these rediculous examples of authority.

My warning came about when I posted a link to Britney Spears looking a bit naked and I understand why it happened I bitched and even left the forum for a good month after it happened...but then realised that the mod was in his jurisdiction to do it so got on with my business...

If it concerns a nmod/fmod/gmod then complain to a Supervisor. If it concerns a Supervisor then complain to an Admin.

But do not bother to complain about what happened to a friend. We are only interested in hearing from the actual source. Just like in court, hearsay is inadmissible.

Please do not discuss specific warnings in this thread. This thread is to discuss the overall process. Posts that do not adhere to this may be deleted at any time.

Because people like you annoy them so much that they snap. They are only human, so if people didn't annoy them, it would be fine.

I'm not saying I've never caused trouble, I'm on a 60% warn, it came down from 80%. I complained about 1 warn to a super, I didn't get it removed, but thats fine.

You earn respect, you don't demand it.

Because people like you annoy them so much that they snap. They are only human, so if people didn't annoy them, it would be fine.

I'm not saying I've never caused trouble, I'm on a 60% warn, it came down from 80%. I complained about 1 warn to a super, I didn't get it removed, but thats fine.

You earn respect, you don't demand it.

lol..your funny.

Anyways, I will continue to PM the admins with my concerns until i get a response. As I stated previously

If it concerns a nmod/fmod/gmod then complain to a Supervisor. If it concerns a Supervisor then complain to an Admin.

But do not bother to complain about what happened to a friend. We are only interested in hearing from the actual source. Just like in court, hearsay is inadmissible.

Please do not discuss specific warnings in this thread. This thread is to discuss the overall process. Posts that do not adhere to this may be deleted at any time.

Anyways, I will continue to PM the admins with my concerns until i get a response. As I stated previously

Is it a super's actions that are being questioned?

Just go outside and bump "jus phuk da' police" as loud as you can and forget about it. Some of the mods here are forum Nazi's. Cough! Cough!... Its a vegtable! Cough!

My contribution to this thread that keeps popping up on the main page... Maybe instead of mods and supers we could get a user vote kick option like many multiplayer games and when we've heard enough of your whining and enough peeps want you gone, you'll be gone :p

Just go outside and bump "jus phuk da' police" as loud as you can and forget about it. Some of the mods here are forum Nazi's. Cough! Cough!... Its a vegtable! Cough!

wtf!!! :blink:

My contribution to this thread that keeps popping up on the main page... Maybe instead of mods and supers we could get a user vote kick option like many multiplayer games and when we've heard enough of your whining and enough peeps want you gone, you'll be gone :p

Ignore'em, its that or i'm about to start PMing admins myself just so they can come in here and clean this mess up plus shut this guy up.

/me looks for the ignore button.

...Maybe instead of mods and supers we could get a user vote kick option like many multiplayer games and when we've heard enough of your whining and enough peeps want you gone, you'll be gone :p

I second this notion. :yes: lol.

If someone annoys you, use the ignore feature.

It is for a mod to decide whether a rule is broken, not members. It would be abused like no tomorrow.

If someone annoys you, use the ignore feature.

It is for a mod to decide whether a rule is broken, not members. It would be abused like no tomorrow.

+1, members even abuse the "rate user" thing in the profiles. How would you like to be banned because apple fans didn't like your post about vista, or vice versa. Welcome to the internet people. The mods are there for a reason. If you don't like it, tough, its not like anyone is actually forcing you to be here :p

And to the "vegetable" joke, imo Radish is one of the better mods on here, theres a lot worse on other forums. They do their job, and you subconsciously appreciate it - how would you like a forum completely full of Spam and unruly members.

Oh, and on a lighter note, a Radish isnt a vegetable, its the root of a plant which happens to be edible :p

lol..your funny.

Your friend has the right to take his issue to an Admin.

We are not typically interested in hearing from 3rd parties. That is probably why you haven't heard a response.