OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

Care to explain then, why moderators don't reply when you try to appeal an error? You're simply ignored by certain moderators. Now tell me that doesn't hurt their power-abusing reputation that many agree with.

I don't know the circumstances so I can't speak on what happened. If they don't get back to you within a couple days, send something to one or two supervisors. I know the mods don't spend every hour of every day here. If I'm busy at work or in life, a week may go by without being here.

I think you'll find that the only people who think mods abuse their powers are those with high warning levels. If a mod really was abusing their powers, an admin would take care of them. If you think someone is abusing their powers, send something to a supervisor or two.

I would like to add something, I got 20% once for calling a fellow footy fan a sap at some comments he had made about a game.

A sap is like a way of saying someone is a bit wet in their thinking and something not nasty.

I think that sometimes moderators from the USA and Canada should look into the language of other countries, their slang and their isms to understand that calling someone a sap is not insulting.

Neowin is world wide, like in canada fanny means arse, in Britain it means the complete opposite.

Poof in Canada means 'to be gone' Poof in Britain don't mean that.

Ohh well, I probably should have 40% more warning percentage so as I said couple weeks ago it's give-n-take and I do not go out of my way to insult anyone deliberately, unlike some Guinness drinkers I know! ha ha ha ha

Care to explain then, why moderators don't reply when you try to appeal an error? You're simply ignored by certain moderators.

One supervisor gave me a warn for a link in my sig after it appeared again once he removed it....

It turns out after i appealed that it was a problem on his page refresh end...he apologized, removed the warn..and sent me flowers in the post...

Another removed a warn after a few months of considering it, ... some mods dont reply to posts because they either dont want to, or perhaps are sick listening to certain members...

I know im on certain mods sick of you list :cry:

I try to keep the head down . . i think you should do the same..it'l blow over and in time forgotten.

- Brian

Ohh well, I probably should have 40% more warning percentage so as I said couple weeks ago it's give-n-take and I do not go out of my way to insult anyone deliberately, unlike some Guinness drinkers I know!

mmmhmm Mr poof sap :whistle:

Will that be 20% + 20% or just 20? :o

Same here; I've never been rude in PM's, yet I've only received replies about half of the time. Tell me what PM-ing a supervisor will do? The moderator is the one who witnessed the problem on hand, and whose side do you think a Supervisor is going to take? Really, I'm just being honest. If I went to a police chief about the wrong-doings of an officer, who are they going to believe? Asking others to escalate the issue is futile, so there's no point in even trying.

This is exactly it. Snyper, why do you automatically assume that I've done something wrong? Keep my head down? Please stop making general (and incorrect) assumptions. In any case, I don't regularly PM mods for me to be on their "sick of" list..

I remember PM'ing a certain staff member with PM's that were certainly not vulgar but I still have not gotten a reply.

Then a PM to a Sup would be your next move....

Same here; I've never been rude in PM's, yet I've only received replies about half of the time. Tell me what PM-ing a supervisor will do? The moderator is the one who witnessed the problem on hand, and whose side do you think a Supervisor is going to take? Really, I'm just being honest. If I went to a police chief about the wrong-doings of an officer, who are they going to believe? Asking others to escalate the issue is futile, so there's no point in even trying.

Well, I am sure that you know that a Supervisor is above a fMod or GMod. They have the ability to confer with the mods and come to a successful resolution of the issue. I have seen this work many times........ successfully.

I assure you that the Neowin staff is not in the business of warning or axing members for unjust reasons. We want happy, contributing members here..... :yes:

Barney

Whats does 'restricted profile' mean and what can you do and cannot do?

Mr Snyper, suprised you never got banned for some of those jokes and jokettes you post.

Shame we can't throw rotten fruit and veg at you.

We document everything, so it's not a big reach for the sup to see what happened.

You claim it's futile yet it sounds like you've never even tried. Granted, a huge majority of the time the supervisor will agree with the mod, simply because the things that we warn over are obviously against the rules

I've had a couple warnings overturned because the sup didn't agree with me.

I assure you that the Neowin staff is not in the business of axing members for unjust reasons. We want happy, contributing members here...

Rumor has it that theres a quota of member bans that mods have to reach before they make gmod? :huh:

Mr Snyper, suprised you never got banned for some of those jokes and jokettes you post.

The one about fred derf having sex with an alligator wasnt a joke. It was meant for "RWI"

Whats does 'restricted profile' mean and what can you do and cannot do?

They aren't allowed to have and/or change a signature and avatar We only put a 'restricted profile' mask on and warn someone when we have had to edit their sig multiple times.

Rumor has it that theres a quota of member bans that mods have to reach before they make gmod? :huh:

That reminds me, sorry to digress of the law n order in Britain, a.k.a. Police.

I wonder if the mods want to become cyber-coppers.

They aren't allowed to have and/or change a signature and avatar We only put a 'restricted profile' mask on and warn someone when we have had to edit their sig multiple times.

O.K. thanks, something I have learnt today.

:laugh: That is indeed a rumor with no merit............. I can count the bans I have given out on one hand (except spammers, that is).

The one about fred derf having sex with an alligator wasnt a joke. It was meant for "RWI"

The quota is quite high. Although bans and posting restrictions count for multiple warnings so that makes it a little easier ;)

One word for you snyper as you told me how many sites you got banned from 'Apoptosis'.

I bet you would get a squillion warnings if you posted that sentence I told you. ha ha ha ha

I am a coward thats why I did not.

Shhhhhhh - where my aligator goes is up to me ;)

Back on topic: id say theres probably 1 power hungry mod who i wont name, but 1 out of god knows how many is good in my opinion - many other sites have much worse. The only person who doesnt seem to reply to PMs is Redmak - but i guess he's busy - as i havent seen him around the forums for a while. Most of the supers and the other admins usually reply same day (better than UPS imo :p)

And congrats on the green badge Barney :)

whose side do you think a Supervisor is going to take? Really, I'm just being honest. If I went to a police chief about the wrong-doings of an officer, who are they going to believe? Asking others to escalate the issue is futile, so there's no point in even trying.

I've had quite a few things I've done reversed by supervisors...

You were never targetted, nor is anyone. When you break the rules, you are warned by whatever staffer sees it first.

My question is, why even bother replying to these people who post these things? Why not just PM them regarding it instead of keeping it in the public domain as you guys try to avoid?

Actually, Chad, you claimed to have had to edit my signature 4! times, however, if you had looked at my warning logs, you would have noticed that I got warned once for calling someone an idiot, once again for circumventing the word filter, once for being a troll, AND THEN because my sig was 26kb over the 50kb limit. I only see 1 sig warning here. That adds up to the 80% I have now, and you restricted my profile because you said you had to edit my sig 4 times. Which is plainly not true, and, <snipped>

Bans and warns as far as i know are not handed out for everything. I had my sig snipped a number of times and never recieved a warning etc, however im sure i would do if it goes over the limit again... the mods etc are only so lenient.

Care to explain then, why moderators don't reply when you try to appeal an error? You're simply ignored by certain moderators. Now tell me that doesn't hurt their power-abusing reputation that many agree with (not saying I share that view, I've just read about it).

I for one can confirm they do reply... after a lot of PM's... but they do reply. I got on Neobonds nerves once with the ammount of PM's i sent and lets just say i got my well deserved reply... Remember that the mods etc are human beings as well and not being paid for this job, so dont expect to get a reply straight away and dont always expect it to be what you want to hear.

I would like to add something, I got 20% once for calling a fellow footy fan a sap at some comments he had made about a game.

A sap is like a way of saying someone is a bit wet in their thinking and something not nasty.

I think that sometimes moderators from the USA and Canada should look into the language of other countries, their slang and their isms to understand that calling someone a sap is not insulting.

Neowin is world wide, like in canada fanny means arse, in Britain it means the complete opposite.

Poof in Canada means 'to be gone' Poof in Britain don't mean that.

Ohh well, I probably should have 40% more warning percentage so as I said couple weeks ago it's give-n-take and I do not go out of my way to insult anyone deliberately, unlike some Guinness drinkers I know! ha ha ha ha

You can tell when someone is being insulting to another person, even if you do not understand the insult. You can usually go by the way words are being used and the feel of the thread before hand, so even if it means something in another country you will most likely still get a warn if you are using it in an insulting contex.

Ahhhhhh! The memories! I saw those pictures and they are not very nice at all! That poor alligator!

BANSTICK!

Walks away from thread slowely backward whilst bowing to Mr Allen.

Runs and takes BANSTICK and runs away quickly... Do you think he noticed?

My question is, why even bother replying to these people who post these things? Why not just PM them regarding it instead of keeping it in the public domain as you guys try to avoid?

As long as the question isn't about an individual there's no reason to take it privately. Perhaps others felt the same and i wanted to set the record straight

• 1 month later...

I got the same warning for the same offence within 24hours. So I got two warnings, so from zero to 40 oranges.

I had 40 oranges.

The other day I got a nice message thanking me for my good behaviour for 6 months and one was removed.

I now have 20 oranges.

What gives, I thought I would have them both removed, or do I have to wait another 6 months to hit zero?

Edited by leesmithg

I got the same warning for the same offence within 24hours. So I got tow warnings, so from zero to 40 oranges.

I had 40 oranges.

The other day I got a nice message thanking me for my good behaviour for 6 months and one was removed.

I now have 20 oranges.

What gives, I thought I would have them both removed, or do I have to wait another 6 months to hit zero?

Yes, they expire consecutively and not concurrently.

Yes, they expire consecutively and not concurrently.

But as both warns where for the same offence, shouldnt one be removed because it was a mistake and one removed as its 6 months good behavour?

Then again i dont know what the warn(s) where for or the history behind it and can only go on what i see here.