OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

I didnt check, but didnt you say earlier on in the thread that this WAS related to your friend?

So is it or isnt it? Please tell me, i dont think my head can take any more of this confusion you are bringing!

Face it though mate... neither you or your friend are going to have the warning taken off your profile unless it was a complete mistake they put it on yours.

Not just me confused then... :laugh: :pinch:

Whats up is a friend of mine got a warning from a particular admin for using the word "fanboy" in a write up, which wasn't even referring to a single person. This was NOT against the specific policy but was warned anyways, and ive heard other complains about the same mod.
Actually the issue is unrelated to "my friend". Thanks.

So, do you actually have a friend? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Well, for the record, you will get a warning for calling an idiot and idiot even if they are indeed an idiot.

It is sufficient to point out their logical/factual mistakes and allow others to draw their own conclusions.

What if i call someone an idiot, based on the fact they called some other idiot an idiot? Would i then get a warning for being such a... well... idiot?

i recently got a warning reduced....

:innocent:

We should really tell them about this error. We cant have this happening to often! :pinch: :laugh:

What if i call someone an idiot, based on the fact they called some other idiot an idiot? Would i then get a warning for being such a... well... idiot?

affirmative.

Well, I have to tell you guys ( and as I have said to some already) that when I first became a member here, one of my first posts was about something related to Windows XP and some hardware issue. It was nothing unusual or inflammatory. It was a simple question that I needed an answer to. The response that I got from fellow members made me feel more violated than Jenna Jameson at a sex addicts convention.

It was so bad in fact that I left Neowin and did not return here for over a year. I really was disgusted and angry that members were able to flame me that way. Today I feel the same way. As long as members treat each other with respect and decency, there should be no reason to worry about warns at all. But the 10% of evil doers here can sometimes make it tough for the other 90% of the good and faithful members.

The staff understands that and we make every effort to be fair and impartial. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes here...... there are untold hours of work by various staff areas and cleaning up this board takes lots of time. In most cases, if an error is made by the staff, a simple PM to the staff member involved is all that it takes. Patience and understanding from all parties involved goes a long way...

Barney

topics like this bring bad memories to be of targetted by one mod . takes time for me to get that bad taste out and get back on.

oh gosh. lets not start another flame war about mods.

topics like this bring bad memories to be of targetted by one mod . takes time for me to get that bad taste out and get back on.

You were never targetted, nor is anyone. When you break the rules, you are warned by whatever staffer sees it first.

Actually, Chad, you claimed to have had to edit my signature 4! times, however, if you had looked at my warning logs, you would have noticed that I got warned once for calling someone an idiot, once again for circumventing the word filter, once for being a troll, AND THEN because my sig was 26kb over the 50kb limit. I only see 1 sig warning here. That adds up to the 80% I have now, and you restricted my profile because you said you had to edit my sig 4 times. Which is plainly not true, and, <snipped>

Edited by Barney

Actually, Chad, you claimed to have had to edit my signature 4! times, however, if you had looked at my warning logs, you would have noticed that I got warned once for calling someone an idiot, once again for circumventing the word filter, once for being a troll, AND THEN because my sig was 26kb over the 50kb limit. I only see 1 sig warning here. That adds up to the 80% I have now, and you restricted my profile because you said you had to edit my sig 4 times. Which is plainly not true, and, <snipped>

This doesn't belong on the public forum. Send it via pm next time please.

We don't warn for every time we edit someone's signature. I never told you we did and our rules don't even hint at that. If they are a habitual offender and we have to edit it multiple times, then we begin issuing warnings for signature violations. That was the case with yours.

As I said, if you wish to discuss this further, send me a message.

One of the perks of being on staff is having a larger signature....within reason. Now...back on topic? :)

^ Very sorry to have edited your comment..... but we have to speak in generalities here and not about other specific members. PMing with issues is a better way of doing this kind of business.

Barney

In most cases, if an error is made by the staff, a simple PM to the staff member involved is all that it takes.

Care to explain then, why moderators don't reply when you try to appeal an error? You're simply ignored by certain moderators. Now tell me that doesn't hurt their power-abusing reputation that many agree with (not saying I share that view, I've just read about it).

Care to explain then, why moderators don't reply when you try to appeal an error? You're simply ignored by certain moderators. Now tell me that doesn't hurt their power-abusing reputation that many agree with.

I can not speak for others on the staff, but if you do not get resolution from one staffer, you are always allowed to PM a Supervisor (maroon badge). I do not believe that there are any staff members who knowingly do not reply to PMs......... unless they are simply rude or vulgar. And many of the staff have received these a time or two.

My personal opinion is that if I am treated with courtesy, I will return the favor in kind.

Barney

I can not speak for others on the staff, but if you do not get resolution from one staffer, you are always allowed to PM a Supervisor (maroon badge). I do not believe that there are any staff members who knowingly do not reply to PMs......... unless they are simply rude or vulgar. And most of the staff has received these a time or two.

My personal opinion is that if I am treated with courtesy, I will return the favor in kind.

Barney

I remember PM'ing a certain staff member with PM's that were certainly not vulgar but I still have not gotten a reply.