NHL Hockey Thread

So, yup, that was my first ever hockey game at the ACC (I've seen the Toronto Rock Lacrosse at the ACC before but not hockey).

Leafs won 3-0 with Raycroft getting the shutout.

Once you get past Ovechkin, Washington really doesn't have that much to offer (especially when Kolzig is injured). Washington started their #3 goalie although he didn't do too badly considering he faced 31 shots (he would have had a .900 save percentage for the night).

So, yup, that was my first ever hockey game at the ACC (I've seen the Toronto Rock Lacrosse at the ACC before but not hockey).

Leafs won 3-0 with Raycroft getting the shutout.

Once you get past Ovechkin, Washington really doesn't have that much to offer (especially when Kolzig is injured). Washington started their #3 goalie although he didn't do too badly considering he faced 31 shots (he would have had a .900 save percentage for the night).

Alexander Semin. He has an incredible shot and has some slick moves too. Washington is lacking a center. They traded away Zubrus, who was by default their #1 center. I can only imagine how Semin and Ovechkin will play in a couple years when Niklas Backstrom (the #4 pick last year) center's one of those two. Oh, they also have that Varlamov kid who played in goal for Russia in the juniors. I think he actually beat out Carey Price in SV% or GAA or both.

Wow, the avs are on fire at the moment. Winning their last 5 with their last being against Buffalo. Hopefully this run continues and they get their spot in the playoffs.

So....

How many games for Simon?

The rest of the season plus the playoffs (should the Isles qualify) plus what else?

There was an excellent piece in the Vancouver Sun pointing out the incompetence of the NHL head office regarding offenses such as these. While Chris Neil received a three game suspension for his hit on Chris Drury, as did Cam Janssen for his part in hurting Tomas Kaberle, superstar Alexander Ovechkin was not suspended for his hit on Daniel Briere, perhaps quite obviously. The article questioned why Janssen was suspended while others have not- Because he hit a Leaf? This action by Chris Simon may be far more severe because of the locale that it occurred (not to lessen the severity of his actions).

There was an excellent piece in the Vancouver Sun pointing out the incompetence of the NHL head office regarding offenses such as these. While Chris Neil received a three game suspension for his hit on Chris Drury, as did Cam Janssen for his part in hurting Tomas Kaberle, superstar Alexander Ovechkin was not suspended for his hit on Daniel Briere, perhaps quite obviously. The article questioned why Janssen was suspended while others have not- Because he hit a Leaf? This action by Chris Simon may be far more severe because of the locale that it occurred (not to lessen the severity of his actions).

The hit on Drury happened immediately after Drury moved the puck. By the time Kaberle was hit, the puck was already on Colaiacovo's stick. We're talking about a half second vs 2 seconds. The suspension on Cam Janssen had nothing to do with a hit to the head (they apparently don't suspend or penalize this) but it had everything to do with a late hit when Kaberle no longer had the puck anywhere near his sphere of influence.

Those two incidents are on a scale of magnitude of difference.

I apologize.

I did not mean to make it seem as I necessarily agreed with the article. I was merely attempting to summarize the article to encourage discussion regarding the series of incidents that have occurred this year.

Simon is out for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs. I have yet to see the footage of the attack, but it sounds deadly serious. I hear criminal charges may be pending.

What a horrible hit. What a jackass, definitely deserves what he got and more. Does he lose all pay for the rest of the year as well?

Playoffs spots in the east keep tightening and it looks like its going to be a race to the end.

only 2 points separate 11th place and 7th

It looks likes is gonna be exciting how this plays out, Montreal plays Toronto 2 more times and Carolina too so these games will be the decision maker.

habs suck, i hope they don't make it so they flush out the team... but i hope they kill the maple laughs tonight. At least i got the ducks left to cheer for

Great game, too bad the Leafs got a point out of it. With their play in their past 4 games I am actually allowing myself to hope they can get a playoff spot.

Going to see San Jose whip up on Colorado this Sunday. Can't wait.. have great seats! :D

You picked a great game to go see... If you're an Avs fan! wow what a game!

What a game indeed! Just finished watching the highlights, with Calgary only 4 points ahead and being on a cold streak im hoping the avs can grab the final playoff spot. :D