Gears of War Official Thread

I know there are games that allow save-anywhere... but there are very few of them, and as far as I know, all of them only allow for one slot. The only games I know with save anywhere are SC:DA, Prey and Quake IV.

SC: DA allows multiple slots.

Actually you have to press X twice, and syntheticdarkness is right realtime generated scene cannot be skipped only CG.

Just to clarify, there are no CGI videos in the game. Those videos are entirely in-engine, and the reason why they are not real-time is because the 360 wouldn't be able to render it with a decent framerate. It's a compromise between having to look at an in-game laggy cinematic, or in-engine smooth cinematic. Still the same thing from a technical standpoint.

It has many smaller bosses, and one big boss (I think you can guess who if you have played a few chapters). The big boss fight is a lot more aldrenaline-kicking than the one in Doom3, and even more fun in coop.

It has many smaller bosses, and one big boss (I think you can guess who if you have played a few chapters). The big boss fight is a lot more aldrenaline-kicking than the one in Doom3, and even more fun in coop.

General RAAM definitely is fun. Easy though if you have a Torque Bow still.

You're acting like no 360 games have save-anywhere, when in fact many of them do. One of the most recent examples I can think of is Splinter Cell: Double Agent. That game has a very nice Save Anywhere system.

Opting for Checkpoint-system versus a Save-Anywhere-system is completely up to the developer.

I think the checkpoint system adds much more of a sense of wanting to beat it, instead of the save anywhere where it is just too easy to save after every point of cover.

Just completed it on Casual and hot damn General Raam was hard. I can't imagine that level being any harder :|

Try Hardcore. :laugh: I'm going for Insane right now, but my copy of Gears has the infamous "Disc read error" problem.

Okay, I've had a fun time with this game but I think I'm done with it. Finished the single player on all difficulties. Multiplayer is great but it takes too long for people to join. I just bought COD3 and I'm going to play that for a while.

I think the checkpoint system adds much more of a sense of wanting to beat it, instead of the save anywhere where it is just too easy to save after every point of cover.

I agree, I'm not saying the Checkpoint system is a bad thing, I for one am a fan of the Checkpoint system because I feel like the checkpoint system really makes you try hard to beat the game, while the Save Anywhere system is more like a just-get-through it kind of thing. ;)

Okay, I've had a fun time with this game but I think I'm done with it. Finished the single player on all difficulties. Multiplayer is great but it takes too long for people to join. I just bought COD3 and I'm going to play that for a while.

I've been playing multiplayer all day long yesterday and although i had a fantastic time and some very awesome matches, in the back of my head i just kept thinking; how long will this be as cool as i think it is right now? the matches are not at all repetitive and winning after you've discussed some strategies gives you a big kick, but how is this going to be in say a month or 2, guess we'll find out :p

OMFG! I just realized after playing all the way up to Act 3 on the SP and about 15 hours of the MP, that with the sniper rifle you can click in on the right trigger and it will zoom in!!! :blush:

This entire time I have been using the sniper rifle and not zooming in at all. The only upside to this all is I got pretty damn good at it while not zoomed in. :laugh:

I was the same lol i thought the sniper rifle was pretty crap not being able to zoom in very far but didnt realise you have to click the right analog :blush:

Multiplayer is great fun!

Had a hard time finding a decent Host since i either couldn't connect or the host said he had to close the Server.

But as a Gears of War Virgin i had a ton of fun :laugh:

I actually chainsawed the entire opposing team in one round, that's nice :D

Got the game at 6:10pm EST today, got home at like 6:30 and started playing and haven't stopped since then. I called out of work cuz theres no way i'll be able to focus on work knowing i got GOW at home! Holy Moly is definitely a correct term!

Oh and that

Bezerker

certainly scared the crap outta me. I'm just there now in the campaign. I was playing some multiplayer earlier and now i'm just on Act 1 on Casual. Guess i suck but it's still fun tho!!!!! This is what they were talking about when they mentioned fun gaming!

Am I the only one who is slightly annoyed by the checkpoint system. Sometimes it'll create a checkpoint frequently and sometimes it dosent do one for 10 minutes which includes some sort of cut scene in it and if you die you have to start from the checkpoint 10 minutes ago :(

I find it annoying, but it's how Halo, Halo 2 and the Tomb Raider games worked, so I'm kinda used to it now :) I think the main idea behind it is to make you more thoughtful about your actions..knowing that if you die you have to go back a checkpoint 5-10 mins ago, you should be more careful, take time to think your actions through (also I think it's also to stop the saving before going into room and then go rushing in guns all blazing)...it really adds to the suspense and I think while annoying it really adds to the experience :)

Edited by Xerxes

Ok now I am having really hard time with raam in insane, the thing was in casual and hardcore I used totally different strategy. But In insane none of them work. I spend 20 min on that and finally got tired.