[OFFICIAL] Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Anyone has played Contra? I'm going to get Geometry Wars and Small Arms which would leave me with 600 points. Any other game any of you guys recommend? I already got Zuma and Smash TV, but I don't know if Contra is worth it or if I should wait until I get more points to get the Oblivion Knights of the Nine pack for 800 points.

Suggestions please! :D

Contra's apparently not very good. I'd personally wait and get the Knights of the Nine pack. You could always try out the trial of Contra and see for yourself.

Anyone has played Contra? I'm going to get Geometry Wars and Small Arms which would leave me with 600 points. Any other game any of you guys recommend? I already got Zuma and Smash TV, but I don't know if Contra is worth it or if I should wait until I get more points to get the Oblivion Knights of the Nine pack for 800 points.

Suggestions please! :D

Contra is great while it lasts. The problem is that it simply doesn't last long. At 400 points, this was neglegible to me though. I had fun with it. Though, just think, one of the achievements is to beat the game under 12 minutes.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I downloaded the Contra demo yesterday and I really didn't like it that much. I think I have played Contra, but not that version (probably version 2, which was better). And well, Small Arms wasn't very convincing either. So I guess I'll stick with Geometry Wars and the Oblivion stuff and see what else I can spend those points in.

I didn't like Contra either. I was expecting it to be more like the NES version. I had really been looking forward to that game, too.

I'm still undecided on Small Arms, but I'll probably end up getting it.

I take it that no Arcade game was released today. I'll be glad when XBLA Wednesdays finally gets back on track.

I didn't like Contra either. I was expecting it to be more like the NES version. I had really been looking forward to that game, too.

I take it that no Arcade game was released today. I'll be glad when XBLA Wednesdays finally gets back on track.

Nope, just an update for Texas Hold'Em. This whole releasing games on Wednesdays is lame. Just give us the game when it's ready. That way the Xbox team won't look stupid when there's no game and they have to release some retarded UNO deck to please everyone. It also means that if two games are ready at the same time, we don't have to wait a week in between them. I don't see how staggering the games by a week does them or us any favors.

I quoted you as I agree and/or have my own take on every single point you made. :yes:

Just was let down by Contra. Just not as good as I thought it was going to be.

Perhaps it was a combination of fond memories and the reality of those fond memories playing out years later, or perhaps I too also wished it was a slightly different version of the game.

Actually I am decided on Small Arms, I will be passing on it. I just did not "get it."

And yep, it appears no game was released today. I was looking forward to something as I have not played at all in a full two days, which since Splinter Cell Double Agent just has not happened. However I have been shopping for engagement rings for my GF, and that drains the life out of you take it from me, so I could have used and was looking forward to a nice but simple deviation from an Arcade Game.

any plans for a pinball game? gotta love those.

and Contra was just a memory as Larry said, it reality it was never really that good. i think the 360 version is pretty faithful to the coin op tho.

I can't wait to see if they put on the good ol' apogee classics... mmm... bio-menace and commander keen :D

I must be so out of my mind, I just went on a rampage, and bought all the arcade games i have on the list :(

what is that, dig dug? holy crap! why not just get q-bert and be done with it!

but they're bringing out rush n attack...now that's a game right there. hopefully that and pinball dreams won't be too late coming...

I find it cool that its less that 50megs even though its on the unreal 3 engine isnt it? the textures look pretty good too considering, nice physics too.

I find it cool that its less that 50megs even though its on the unreal 3 engine isnt it? the textures look pretty good too considering, nice physics too.

The game uses procedural textures. Roboblitz originally had about 527MB of textures, after converting them to procedural textures the texturing code was 3MB. If more games follow suit then microsoft made the right choice not jumping to a new format insted of DVD's, with that kind of saving there will be plenty of room.

I found the Roboblitz demo a lot more fulfilling than any other XBLA demo in a long time. The Small Arms demo wasn't quite so bad, but the rest barely last 2 minutes, leaving me unsure if I actually like the game most of the time. The Roboblitz demo gave me enough time to get into the game after the intro and 2 levels (with a couple of weapon upgrades along the way) where I want to see what the rest of the game is like.

I really don't want to spend $15 on the game since practically every other game is $5-10, but I'm really considering purchasing it.

I had been wanting this game (Roboblitz) since I saw the videos of the tech demo a few months ago. It's lived up to all of my expectations. It's really fun. The demo only offers a fraction of what the game is like :p.