Free Vista Biz/Office..us only

Still waiting on mine.... they had issues with my W9.

I wish I could just say forget the Office 2007, just send me Vista and forget the W9... :no:

Wish I could too - just found out that through work we'll have a special deal to purchase Office 07 for $20 flat. That's a lot better than the $100 in taxes I'll need to pay on both.

Cool idea, thanks! I think I might do this just so I have real media instead of my burned CD's of the installation files.

edit: Can you give me a link to where to order the CD? I can only seem to find the download version.

Those are the direct links for the trial version, which will install as a full install if you use your key from the Power Together mailing.

MS hasnt posted it yet, it will be up within a month or less.. but when it does it will be $9.99 (shipping and handleing)

MS hasnt posted it yet, it will be up within a month or less.. but when it does it will be $9.99 (shipping and handleing)

Ah, OK, that's good to know. I'll be on the lookout for it. Does anyone else remember back when Office 97 came out and the demo CD's were given away at (I think) Office Depot? People found out that by simply replacing one file, you could install the full version. Oh, how times have changed.

edit: I found a link about it. It was Kinkos and they sold the trial version for $4.95. I remember that I got the last copy left at my nearest Kinkos location. http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/winter96/0754.html Being the packrat that I am, I probably still have that CD around somewhere.

Edited by roadwarrior

to get the files to extract from the .exe that you download from MS do this

I renamed my .exe to "office" just to make this easier

in the RUN command type

X:\Office.exe /extract

(X:\) is the drive where you are keeping the file.

Then, you get a little popup box that asks you where you'd like to extract the files. Tell it where you want them.

You can now burn these files onto a CD ... and POOF ... Office 2007 Professional CD.

Wish I could too - just found out that through work we'll have a special deal to purchase Office 07 for $20 flat. That's a lot better than the $100 in taxes I'll need to pay on both.

$100 in taxes? psh its not even close to that if you didnt get $2,000 of gifts this past year that were reportable you pay zero in taxes

to get the files to extract from the .exe that you download from MS do this

I renamed my .exe to "office" just to make this easier

in the RUN command type

X:\Office.exe /extract

(X:\) is the drive where you are keeping the file.

Then, you get a little popup box that asks you where you'd like to extract the files. Tell it where you want them.

You can now burn these files onto a CD ... and POOF ... Office 2007 Professional CD.

So why can't you just download the .exe and burn it to a disk? I did that, then ran the .exe from the cd and it seems to be going through the install just fine...asking for the key, etc.. BTW, I have not installed it yet. Just testing the install.

Nobody has to pay taxes on these!!!

Assuming these were the only "gifts" reported to the IRS.

So you're out 20 bucks buddy.

Still waiting on mine.... they had issues with my W9.

I wish I could just say forget the Office 2007, just send me Vista and forget the W9... :no:

Did you forget to sign it?

People need to stop worrying about this ... if you haven't gotten yours yet, no KIDDING. How many copies were being sent out? 30,000 or something? That takes awhile to process. I haven't gotten my stuff, but I'm not worried. If I don't get it by the date they specified in the email I received, I'll drop them an email and they can fix it. No big deal.

I have this vague suspicion that when all is said and done, users who signed up but never received their copies for whatever reason will get a nice apology and free retail copies mailed to their house.

I got mine, but this is something I have imagined might happen. :D

I have this vague suspicion that when all is said and done, users who signed up but never received their copies for whatever reason will get a nice apology and free retail copies mailed to their house.

I hope youre wrong I still haven't received mine. I hope I get it by Friday.

Well, no crap. It says so right in the emails Microsoft sent us:

Please be patient. We cannot ship your gift until Windows Vista Business/Office 2007 Professional is released to manufacturing. Your free software should arrive in six to eight weeks after RTM. If it doesn't arrive after eight weeks, please contact a customer service representative at Windows Vista and Office Kit Order Admin.

It would nice if you could order one of the retail boxes. They are so damn sexy.

I work at a Target store, and the retail boxes we currently have on the shelf are empty display boxes, guests have to see the person working in electronics to get a real one. I'm hoping that when we start putting the real ones on the shelf I can get one of the fake ones to keep my copy in. Only problem is that we don't carry Vista Business, so I'll probably have to make my own inserts to put in the case.