Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

i don't like the Aperture look as much as i like the iPhoto toolwindow look

The iPhoto pallette is nice, but for the entire system? I don't know how well transparant black would work for that. (look how Vista turned out)

The iPhoto pallette is nice, but for the entire system? I don't know how well transparant black would work for that. (look how Vista turned out)

If there's going to be a black UI, which there is rumored to be, I can 90% guarantee there will be transparency. I tried a black GUIkit ion ShapeShifter yesterday, and it was beautiful, but it looked bad with documents, i.e. MS Word and Firefox. The only way to make it look reasonably good, is to use transparency, and I think Apple is the kind of design company that can pull that off. Let's face it, they make nice stuff <I have 2 macs myself, but I marvel more at the design of the hardware and the look of Mac Os X more than anything else. It's their specialty.

Seems some improvements have been made to the Firewall, It's been moved out of Sharing (Thank you God. Never understood why it was there.) to Security (Seems more suitable :)) and has gotten a facelift and some new options

leopardfirewall.png

Edit: Why does iPhoto still say Rendezvous? Isn't it all Bonjour now? :unsure: (iChat says it too)

Edited by divinatum

here is a breakdown of the different GUI styles Apple uses, depending on what the application type is:

macos_interfaces.gif

You forgot the iLife '06 Unified Brushed look. It's different from iTunes 7. ;)

As of now it isn't.

I noticed that, might change tho.

Seems some improvements have been made to the Firewall, It's been moved out of Sharing (Thank you God. Never understood why it was there.) to Security (Seems more suitable :)) and has gotten a facelift and some new options

Edit: Why does iPhoto still say Rendezvous? Isn't it all Bonjour now? :unsure: (iChat says it too)

The firewall setting were under the sharing settings because most of the firewall functions directly related to sharing functions. It made sense there (to me at least), but it's equally at home under Security. As for Rendevouz/Bonjour, it really should be Bonjour, so perhaps they just haven't gotten around to changing the name in all of the apps yet. Remember that the name change came after Tiger was released, so Leopard will be the first version with the new name.

All black would be kinda bleh. Depends how they pull it off. If it's all transparent then it would be rather crap, same with gloss. If it's nice and smooth then it will be good. Black is less distracting in UI.

Leopard Mac OS X 10.5 9A321 Screenshots

Installation:

install.jpg

ZFS:

picture3mo9.png

picture-1.jpg

File Recovery:

picture-2.jpg

Quicktime:

picture6be3.png

Time Machine:

picture-23.jpg

Screen Savers, Desktop etc:

picture-6.jpg

Parental Controls:

picture-17.jpg

Uh, yea, they kinda do. Feature-wise, at least. Obviously the UI is still in its early stages.

I still don't see many features that would convince me to upgrade... at least not like... from 10.2 to 10.3... FTFF!!

I still don't see many features that would convince me to upgrade... at least not like... from 10.2 to 10.3... FTFF!!

TextMate 2.0 is for Mac OS X 10.5 only, MacroMates has me by balls on this one.

The transparent black panels? Those are inspector windows. It's showing off the "Quick Look" feature.

Also, I've noticed that the Latest Webkit Build (Thu Dec 21 1:57:39 GMT 2006) won't load in this build. I haven't tried an older one. =\

Bah, I think they'll surprise us in january, those screenies are nothing.

As for a new UI, I'd like to see a safari with more colors than just plain grey, and with a unified look. That'd be a good start.

Just something cool I found with Quick Look. You can take a Quick Look at just about anything. Apps, Folders (Doesn't show what's in it. Would be nice though No?), Images, Video, HTML Files, DOC Files, TXT Files, PDF Files. And that's all I've tried.

App:

automatorquicklook.png

HTML:

quicklookHTML.png

TXT:

quicklookTXT.png

PDF:

quicklookPDF.png

Slideshow:

quicklookSlideShow.png

Just something cool I found with Quick Look. You can take a Quick Look at just about anything. Apps, Folders (Doesn't show what's in it. Would be nice though No?), Images, Video, HTML Files, DOC Files, TXT Files, PDF Files. And that's all I've tried.

Are you impling that Automator 2.0 is a money making machine? Afterall, the 2nd screen you have is a unix fun.txt and then suddenly the next image (a PDF) and it turns into a $100 rebate coupoun??!! Awesome! With Automator 2.0 I think I'll have to repeat the process a couple hundred times.

Panther is really looking up to be a solid release. I hope they make some improvements to Finder though. And perhaps a bit to the security model, password hashes should be blowfish (like you can do with OpenBSD). I dunno, I just think with all the private info people have and on-line banking, stronger password hashes would be a move forward.

Panther is really looking up to be a solid release. I hope they make some improvements to Finder though. And perhaps a bit to the security model, password hashes should be blowfish (like you can do with OpenBSD). I dunno, I just think with all the private info people have and on-line banking, stronger password hashes would be a move forward.

;)

But I do agree about the needed improvements to Finder.

Are you impling that Automator 2.0 is a money making machine? Afterall, the 2nd screen you have is a unix fun.txt and then suddenly the next image (a PDF) and it turns into a $100 rebate coupoun??!! Awesome! With Automator 2.0 I think I'll have to repeat the process a couple hundred times.

Heh, Only PDF file I had handy without downloading one.