Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

for some reason that release date sounds too ambiguous to be true.

personally i kinda wished it was going to be April so i would be done school but i'll install it whenever it comes out :)

Nope, Spring is when we'll get Leopard.

Considering Summer doesn't officially start until a few weeks into June normally, there's always the possibility that it comes in June along with the iPhone. "Spring" is by no means some type of exact, specific date.

Considering Summer doesn't officially start until a few weeks into June normally, there's always the possibility that it comes in June along with the iPhone. "Spring" is by no means some type of exact, specific date.

march-april is more realistic

3/24/07 is a Saturday. Does Apple usually release things on weekends?

I seems to recall that for Tiger Apple planned a big release sale on Saturday night at 12:00 ... or at least that was here in Italy! :D

The thing that annoys me the most is that none of us have a clue of how Mac OS X Leopard is really progressing. What we've seen so far isn't really that impressive (IMO), I don't know what to think of it's interface and currently Mac OS X Leopard has an extensive laundry list of "know issues". Less than two months to fully test the additional mayor features and possibly a new interface could proof itself to be difficult.

We have just gotten an anonymous tip from a source that indicates that Apple is planning a special event on February 20 to introduce Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), iLife ?07 and iWork ?07 as well as updated Mac Pros. Mac Pros will be available immediately with a free upgrade to 10.5 when it ships, and the ship date for 10.5 will be confirmed for 3/24/07 as we have been predicting for quite some time now.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/23/apple-...-february-20th/

Well but if they're on track to release Leopard in Spring (maybe April), and they're planning to show it off on February 20th, and remember the big IF, we all have a couple of months to see and test how the new interface will look like (if a new interface will ever exists.... :( ).

One thing I'm sure, those so long rumored "secret things" Steve Jobs talked about last year at WWDC should be really big, or he would never mention anything like that in such a big event like WWDC...

Well, as of Apple's Q1 financial results, Spring is still the official word from Apple.

Some shots from the latest Mac OS X Leopard build:

http://flickr.com/photos/tobias-digital/se...57594495430436/

Not much, but the Arabesque screensaver looks kinda cool and there seem to be four more.

When it comes to the Terminal icon I hope it's just a "beta easter-egg", similar to the monkey splash screen some Photoshop betas have. :p

The "Open" dialog seems to feature a new "Media" section:

3668088686d4e831af0o5wh.png\

Not sure what it does. :/

Edited by .Neo

I am not absolutely pumped for Leopard. I think it will be pretty cool, but at this point I still have Tiger to figure out. I am anew switcher so... I did, however see Macworld last year (on vid) and I thought the time machine feature was pretty cool. My question is though, if you deleted a file and used time machine, where does it get the file from? I know all about how you can retrieve things from the disk even after deleted but if it was far enough back and you had re-written a bunch of times since... I wouldn't want to have that feature take up more HDD.

As well, that raises questions like should I wait to buy my macbook? (I wasn't gonna because I could always pay the 150 w/e to get the new OS) and also is 80 gigs enough?

Time Machine requires an external HDD. Unfortunately Steve didn't make that clear enough =/

The Media Browser in the Open Dialogue looks interesting. But you shouldn't really need it if you leave all your media in the appropriate folders. Seems Expos? can now be found in the Applications folder as an actual app. I wanna know what is in that icon drop down menu.

I don't know what to think of it's interface and currently Mac OS X Leopard has an extensive laundry list of "know issues". Less than two months to fully test the additional mayor features and possibly a new interface could proof itself to be difficult.

You are assuming that the builds made public are current. For all we know they are months old vs what Apple is doing in-house.

You are assuming that the builds made public are current. For all we know they are months old vs what Apple is doing in-house.

What I meant was that keeping everything secret to the very last moment can have negative consequences for the development of all sorts of applications, especially the mayor suites like Microsoft Office.

Seems Expos? can now be found in the Applications folder as an actual app. I wanna know what is in that icon drop down menu.

It's nothing more than a script bringing up Expos? so you can add it to the Dock. The real stuff that actually handles everything is still part of Dock.app. Same goes for the Spotlight, Spaces and Time Machine (part of the Finder) .app files in the Applications folder.

Or they're simply not compiled in the good lab, like MS did. At the beginning there was no Aero in some labs, but in the main lab you could get the Aero interface. I can't wait to see if the illuminous interface was just a rumor or not...

It's nothing more than a script bringing up Expos? so you can add it to the Dock. The real stuff that actually handles everything is still part of Dock.app. Same goes for the Spotlight, Spaces and Time Machine (part of the Finder) .app files in the Applications folder.

Ah ok. Don't know why you'd need Spotlight in the dock.

I can see Time Machine being a useful one but does it have its own shortcut key?

Why, because you need to restore files every ten minutes? :p I believe you can set it to one of the "F" keys. Not entirely sure tho. You can set Spaces for sure (F8 by default in the last beta I used).

It would be nice if Apple released some new Apple Keyboards with corresponding icons to Expos?, Spaces etc. next to the "F" designation. Like the MacBook Pros have it.