Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

Those of you who legally have leopard might want to run the terminal command

defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter AutoSubmit NO

Dec 21 01:00:47 travis-macbook-pro-15 SubmitReport[378]: A crash report is being automatically submitted for Safari. Apple employees should still file RADARs for bug tracking purposes. Auto-submit can be disabled using the shell command: defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter AutoSubmit NO

:whistle:

Am I the only one who still doesn't see the real point of QuickLook? I mean how long does it actually takes to launch a .mp3 or .jpeg file with QuickTime or Preview...

The feature would be so much more impressive if one could also view all mayor document formats like .doc, .pages, .rtf, .ppt etc.

Am I the only one who still doesn't see the real point of QuickLook? I mean how long does it actually takes to launch a .mp3 or .jpeg file with QuickTime or Preview...
No you're not, I still don't see the point of it either. I've said this before but Quick Look actually seems like a worse choice; apart from the obvious fact that you don't get as much functionality as you would by opening those files properly, you need to use more mouse clicks to get there. Hopefully Apple have better plans for Quick Look in the Leopard final.

for those of you complaining about the quicklook option, its real convient and fast right click and your done it zooms open and gives you a quick look at you pic, movie or document..i've used it for pdfs works great, don't knock it till you've tried it...its instant alot faster then opening apps

for those of you complaining about the quicklook option, its real convient and fast right click and your done it zooms open and gives you a quick look at you pic, movie or document..i've used it for pdfs works great, don't knock it till you've tried it...its instant alot faster then opening apps

FYI I did use Quick Look.

On faster Macs, especially the Intel ones Preview opens in no time at all. It actually takes more time to right click, search for "Quick Look" and select it than to simply double click the icon and launch Preview instead.

LMAO, bro you should not be beta testing if you don't know how to get to the terminal. Hehe :laugh:

That's a fact. :laugh:

Spring 2007.

Interesting to see if they'll make that deadline. Mac OS X Leopard is filled with bugs and still far from being usable. This with the limited amount of features we see today. :/ But then again, Apple rather releases a product filled with bugs than miss a deadline. That's basically what they did with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

My bet is that ZFS will be the next default Mac OS filesystem as a full replacement for HSF+. But I have yet to read something official from Apple about it.

errr, no

ZFS isn't bootable in its current form.

When we were August 12, I thought they were quick to develop leopard, but now it became quite scary. I'd prefer that they worked with performance and stability rather than adding stuff!! I'm sure there's a lot of place to optimize on Intel Machines.

When we were August 12, I thought they were quick to develop leopard, but now it became quite scary. I'd prefer that they worked with performance and stability rather than adding stuff!! I'm sure there's a lot of place to optimize on Intel Machines.

Apple has probably been testing it internally for months and is only now releasing these "new" features. I reckon they're fairly stable at this point.

I'm going to wait a few weeks though before buying Panther. Let everyone else figure out if theres any bugs in it.

The feature would be so much more impressive if one could also view all mayor document formats like .doc, .pages, .rtf, .ppt etc.

Oh, I agree. It's like they got bored and needed a new feature to build so they did QuickLook :p

Preview, TextEdit, and Quicktime open almost instantly for me and iTunes is always running... So I doubt I'll be using QuickLook at all.

I like the improvements they've made so far, although most are trivial.

You mean like how it already does? :p

I haven't seen it open a pages document. When I tried it, it just showed the Icon. I might need to open pages first to register the document *shrugs* I'll give it a try and report back. As for .ppt ... who the hell uses powerpoint? :p

I'm going to wait a few weeks though before buying Panther. Let everyone else figure out if theres any bugs in it.

Then in about a year or so, you'll buy Tiger? :laugh:

I use PowerPoint (uni, lecture slides) but it can easily be handled by Keynote or NeoOffice. (Y)

Yeah.

I gave it another try after opening both Pages and Keynote on leopard, neither will display the contents of the file in Quick Preview. Oh well, maybe in a later build or something :)

You mean like how it already does? :p

It doesn't over here.

I haven't seen it open a pages document. When I tried it, it just showed the Icon.

That's what I get too. :/

• 4 weeks later...

New Leopard build seeded to developers. 9A343 (Client) and 9A344 (Server)

Known Issues:

- Installing and running localized languages is not recommended at this time

- MacBuddy may not run after installation. Rebooting will launch MacBuddy

- Using the 'Open' command may cause longer opening times

- NFS mounted files cannot be accessed

- iSync's plug-in maker requires CFBundleIdentifiers to be unique per plugin to avoid corruption when multiple plug-ins are installed

- Heavy paging may result in zeros being written to the address space

- User cannot copy text from applications launched via SSH

- Disconnecting from your network while connected to servers may hang your machine

- Syncing calendars through iSync does not work at this time

- A system panic may occur with ATI cards while running QuickTime Player with iChat and Preview

- 'Add Printer' dialog appears behind frontmost windows

- QuickLook's full screen mode may not quit in certain situations

- Unable to restore from Time Machine backups created in MacBuddy

- Application Launch Restrictions in Parental Controls not being enforced at this time

- User cannot install the Adobe Suite

- Cannot enable accounts for Windows Sharing

- Finder may quit in certain situations when using the Cmd-Tab keys

- Terminal: Ctrl-Space does not send any data to the shell which may cause issues with the mark in Emacs

- Terminal: Performance with millions of lines of text is currently limited

- Upgrades from the WWDC Developer Seed are not supported

- Upgrades from previous releases are not recommended

Changes in Leopard Since 9A321

- HIToolbox provides new HIRect/Point/Shape-based Window Manager API for resolution independence compatibility

Terminal:

Settings are now stored in Terminal "Profiles" rather than .term files. There are two ways old .term settings are migrated to the new Terminal:

- Automatic import of default .term file and terminal settings at the first launch

- Importing of arbitrary .term files other than your default one

After migrating settings a new Terminal window will open and you should save the window settings as new profiles using Shell->Save Profile

- Tab support

- Terminal now lets you save a multi-window configurations through workspaces which are available through the "Terminal" menu.

QuickLook

- QuickLook APIs have been updated

- quicklookd can be used to test your QuickLook generators. Use "quicklookd -h" to see the list of options.

Source: InsanelyMac

Yes you read right. TABS in Terminal! WOOO! More to follow soon :)