Children of Men (2006)

HL2 sprang into my mind when I watched this. The setting from HL2 is very much alike here, with no aliens of course. The combine are replaced with the totalitarian British government, London looks a lot like City17, rebels are everywhere.

The year is 2027 and there is global infertility -- the last time a baby was born was 18 years ago, a boy named "baby" Diego. He's the youngest person on the earth, and he's just been killed. Now that is a seriously messed up world. Riots and bombings occur everywhere. If infertility rate does reach 100% in the future, I am sure the world will be exactly what is portrayed in the film.

The direction by Alfonso Cuaron is really top-notch throughout the film, but one scene is really stands out. More than 6 minutes of urban warfare in just a single shot. Awesome.

The film actually plays out like a chapter out of a book. It's never explained why women suddenly became infertile, or what happens after the movie ends. It leaves way too many questions unanswered, but perhaps that's not the focal point here. What we see here is what the main character Theo (brilliantly played by Clive Owen) sees around him, again like HL2 where we see everything through Gordon Freeman.

I'll have to see it again, but now it's a 8/10. :D

This is among the top three this year. One of the best years for cinema in decades. The direction and camera work here is PERFECT. Many people have complain that the movie lack an introduction a a "proper" ending. I say those people are just too acostumed to hollywood that they cant grasp the concept of literary resources executed in cinema.

I am very excited about the fact that the mexican directors dominating the industry this year.

I've been waiting a while to see this, should get around to it. And yeah, that sorta vibe did hit me when watching a review of it on At The Movies.

I'm glad it wasnt just me who say HL2 i this. I was forced to download it instead of going to see it for free (one good thing about working at a movie theatre) since no theater within 50 miles of here is getting it... wierd

edit: i guess i was wrong on that. It was released on xmas in select theatres yet others on Jan 5th. Wierd if you ask me. Oh well good film

I watched it last night... and like 99% here first thing i thought was: HL2!

Great movie, did you managed to see scene maybe @ 90% of movie when Theo is in the bus, outside is hell

bullets and there is little blood on the camera, I suppose that isn't regular.

9/10

I liked it but it was kinda of confusing, what the hell was the human project?
It was

a group of the best scientists in the world working to find out why women were infertile. They were trying to find a "cure" that would help the human race survive. That's why they were taking Kee and her baby there.

Watched it a second time and I'll up it to a 9.5/10. Great film.

Funniest part for me...

when that guy ran at like 100mph to catch up with Theo in the car, then asked "can I shoot him now?" and then got a second taste of the car's door banging him. :D

wow this movie... just gets a pure..... WOW... from me, just saw it and.. it blew me away i loved every second of it and the way the camera moves...WOW (Y) 9.5 out of 10.

10 / 10

Thats right. I gave it a perfect score.

Amazing movie in all regards.

Concept. Acting. Cinematography. Direction. All Flawless.

Poignant as well.

Amazing. Just Amazing.

Already on my favorite movies of all time list.

After seeing the trailer, I watched it last night. Brilliant cinematography, thought provoking.

And it was HL:2 without the aliens, the enviroment being City 17/police being like The Combine - Clive Owen is a great actor (Y)

I thought it was short, but great nonetheless.

Radish?

10\10

This movie was excellent. I loved the camera angles used and the way they shot it with a hand-held camera, it gave it a cool effect.

This movie is so good, that I was taken out of hospital for a day to see it! :p Lucky me!

10\10

This movie was excellent. I loved the camera angles used and the way they shot it with a hand-held camera, it gave it a cool effect.

This movie is so good, that I was taken out of hospital for a day to see it! :p Lucky me!

they shot it with a handheld camera? how?

they shot it with a handheld camera? how?

Happens all the time. See every Jet Li film ever...

Lord of the Rings has extensive sequences where Peter Jackson took the reigns as cameraman getting into the action.

We're not talking camcorders here, more like what news reporters would have.

Just saw it. All I can saw is "WOW!" That film was bloody awesome. I vote that the best film of 2006 :yes: Really makes you think, I mean look at all the things that could possibly cause this in today's world.

Pollution, food (think of all of the pesticides that are used on plants that either you eat or an animal eats and then you eat that animal), even drugs. A lot of the drugs that are on the market today are only 10 to 20 years old, so who really knows what's the long term effects are.

Scary. Thought provoking.

10/10 Absolutely fantastic film!

[EDIT] Forgot to mention. The film does start off a little slow, not that it isn't interesting enough to hold your attention, but once the action starts and you start seeing a lot more of the police, all I saw was Combine. It is amazing how closely this resembles HL2. It actually, in some of the scenes felt like a mixture of HL2 and Enemy at the Gates.

So if you want to describe this film to someone, I was say it is Enemy at the Gates meets Half-Life 2.

Edited by Hurmoth

Absolutely loved the movie, the ending left me wanting to know more but I figure its just because I have grown too accustomed to Hollywood endings.

9.5/10 Best movie in years!