The REAL game starts... (Puzzle Box 1)

As far as the different boxes go...I think this is just a rehash but....in the original video there are images that are shown for at least two of her interests. In that video you can see her placing watches into the first box and then on the bed is clothing which to me looks like a magicians outfit. I haven't seen anything in the video which connects it to the last two boxes but I couldn't help but notice that the book in the video (Herodotus) is roughly the same size as one of the boxes.....could be something to keep in mind as we open more boxes and near the end....I wonder if the meta puzzle has a box of its own that we haven't seen yet.

.....really looking forward to the opening of the next box.

As everyone knows Loki is the Norse God of Trickery... but the funny thing so is Kitsune. The best way to start this is by using an excerpt from Kitsune, a Japanese Folklore Book. It is simple, and right to the point.

'Kitsune is an animal supposed to be mysterious, fascinating, and mischevious. And he is believed to be very grateful for the kindness done to him, as seen in many tales, and is also affectionate as revealed in some dramas. He is enshrined as a god because of his supernatural power. He is endowed with the subtle art of metamorphosis, and he is able to bewitch men in the guise of a charming girl. An exceedingly interesting and entertaining beast Kitsune is.' (preface, page vii)

Since LOKI and KITSUNE are TRICKSTERS in the form of a CHARMING FEMALE, this must be some kind of clue.

ha ha ha so that means loki is actually a guy and those two guys at vegas asked her out

Just a thought while we twiddle our thumbs waiting for more clues/puzzles...

In the pre-game, some people received Puzzle Boxes, some letters, and some laptops with a letter.

How many boxes do we know were received? 1, 2, 3, 4 or more?

I'm curious is they were all the same (looked and opened the same way), if they resemble the boxes in the game, and if perhaps there is more to those boxes (like a hidden bottom).

It probably isn't anything, but hey, why not!

Here's the Puzzle Box that is found on the Wiki page, which kind of reminds me of box #2 in the game.

Box.jpg

I was just doing searches for things to see if Microsoft had anything that would resemble something to do with the "Murmuring rock" which we are assuming is Lorelei/Loreley. Nothing about a project with that name or anything but I DID find a correlation between WHY Loreley is called the "Murmuring rock" is because they claim you can hear an echo.

I noticed she went out of her way to call her message an electronic footprint and how inanimate things retain a memory long after the person is gone.

When I checked in projects that Microsoft recently cancelled the only thing it would ever bring me up was the WinFS system that was supposed to go with Vista. Windows -Future storage- was a file system that would retain all data and reorganize it in to relationships to provide faster retrieval.

Could it be that Loki was just alluding to it's official cancellation and her sentence was not intended as a clue?

WinFS was officially cancelled just recently (and I mean completely abandoned) and this could have been a little tricky way of pointing that out.

If im right (which I could -and probably are - be dead wrong) then it wasn't really a clue at all. But then again....WinFS did use some type of functions called "Metatabs"

I was just doing searches for things to see if Microsoft had anything that would resemble something to do with the "Murmuring rock" which we are assuming is Lorelei/Loreley. Nothing about a project with that name or anything but I DID find a correlation between WHY Loreley is called the "Murmuring rock" is because they claim you can hear an echo.

Have someone tried running this videos through some hard sound enhancers? to check for sound very low or mixed with the sound we hear..

Quick question for a newbie.

I want to catchup on all the discussion so I don't post a FAQ. I noticed that you can download/print the thread in the Options menu.

When I try to do that, I don't get all the posts... only up through 01/07/07 or so...

Any ideas how I can download the whole shebang so I don't have to click through everything?

Adman

As for Lorelei, i dont know if you have discovered this yet, i didnt read all these 80 pages...

If not, this could be interesting. Lorelei is a rock at the bank of the rhine, not far from where i live :)

it is also the name of the mythic maidens which are said to have appeared on that rock a lont time ago...

I'm from germany, so my English is not pretty good, sorry bout that.

I've been following this whole vanishing point game thing from the beginning on and i'm wondering what's gonna happen in berlin when the countdown ends on the 20th of January up there. Do you have an idea?

BTW, some of the solutions dont work for me, eg the Gears and the Hourglasses. It says "Other" on the top left.

If you have discussed all this already, i apologise.

Greetz, Genesis

EDIT: Sorry 'bout that... I just had a look at the English Wikipedia Page of Loreley and noticed that they say s.th. about murmuring rocks, so do you here, i guess you know about that already. So dont worry bout that ;)

btw, i've been to the lorelei, it's really great over there...

I've solved all the puzzles now, i had to do it with IE (of course :D)

Edited by genesis89

that can't be because, for example, the 3rd box...the minutes are different..not just hours

Your right. It can't be the different time zones because it is a count down, they hit zero at different times. Real location time doesnt matter.

that can't be because, for example, the 3rd box...the minutes are different..not just hours

Your right. It can't be the different time zones because it is a count down, they hit zero at different times. Real location time doesnt matter.

Just a quick observation:

I noticed that Loki had mentioned "project murmuring rock". Well, as was mentioned, Loreley (Lorelei) is another name for the murmring rock. After a quick google, I found this: http://www.tei-c.org/Applications/lo01.xml

It doesn't seem like much, but one of the e-mails on the contact page lists a brown.edu mailing address, so maybe this suggests that she went to brown? I haven't been able to find anything else in this direction, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

I noticed that Loki had mentioned "project murmuring rock". Well, as was mentioned, Loreley (Lorelei) is another name for the murmring rock. After a quick google, I found this: http://www.tei-c.org/Applications/lo01.xml

It doesn't seem like much, but one of the e-mails on the contact page lists a brown.edu mailing address, so maybe this suggests that she went to brown? I haven't been able to find anything else in this direction, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Interesting...Project Loreley(Lorelei)...the dates appear to be in the 1999-2002 range (although the start page says 1999-2001)...looking like it was either cancelled or completed, I'm not sure which (don't read German, although I could Bablefish or Google Translate I guess).

I tried contacting the email address projekt_loreley@rz.hu-berlin.de to no avail.

Interesting. My personal theory is that the project is directly related to Loki's desire to leave her print on the world, so I don't think it's something we're going to find on a pre-existing site, but you never know.

I got the green lights to light up on the watches synchronized at 9:00, but when I enter "green" and hit submit, nothing happens. The word "OTHER" appears in the top left corner. Am I doing something wrong?

Pocket Watches: GREEN

I'm telling you which watches to click on by using a telephone dialpad system, i.e. 1 = 1st watch

Click on 1, 3, 7 & 9, i.e. the watches on the corners of the square

Click on 2, 4, 6 & 8

Click 5

Either from the obvious colour you see or the colour of the disk in the video with a $ in it, you get GREEN

I'm getting the same thing with Cuckoos. The word "Other" appears in the upper left-hand corner of the main puzzle page. Then I put in the answer "Big Ben" and it either does nothing or says no (shakes the submit field). My guess is that the puzzles are "vanishing" too--to keep the pressure on and keep us slowpokes from grabbing the answers online and sticking them in for an equal share of sweepstakes entries. I even solved this one by myself first. :cry:

Submitting the word "OTHER" gets you the same behavior: nothing plus the word OTHER in the upper left-hand corner of the main puzzle page. The OTHER disappears when you close the puzzle, which stays unsolved by the way. I'll keep at it...

Hope this info helps.

Austin cancelled? What the hell?

Think it's part of the game or has something go awry with the game itself? Perhaps the locations are "vanishing?"

Edit: PERHAPS!!! There isn't five events but only one REAL event. We were all talking about circles and the Vanishing points earlier.....there are four vanishing points at N, S, E, W with one Vanishing point in the center. Perhaps part of the puzzle is figuring out the fifth and actual event to attend to witness the show???

Editing the Edit: Either that or the game is, like some of microsofts projects, is falling apart in the middle of it's execution. If they botch this game i'll be disappointed and I hope the austin thing is part of the game instead of cancellation of a clue. Also, I hope the meta game hasnt been put on hold....cause she said indefintely....that means cancelled. HOPE thats not what that means

Edited by Azimuth

Austin cancelled? What the hell?

Think it's part of the game or has something go awry with the game itself? Perhaps the locations are "vanishing?"

Edit: PERHAPS!!! There isn't five events but only one REAL event. We were all talking about circles and the Vanishing points earlier.....there are four vanishing points at N, S, E, W with one Vanishing point in the center. Perhaps part of the puzzle is figuring out the fifth and actual event to attend to witness the show???

Editing the Edit: Either that or the game is, like some of microsofts projects, is falling apart in the middle of it's execution. If they botch this game i'll be disappointed and I hope the austin thing is part of the game instead of cancellation of a clue. Also, I hope the meta game hasnt been put on hold....cause she said indefintely....that means cancelled. HOPE thats not what that means

I have the feeling that Singapore will get cancelled aswell... call it a hunch... :huh: