Ofcom probes Big Brother 'racism'

Its all well over hyped. She DID undercook the chicken. They didnt critisise her, they just said it needed to be cooked longer. Not everyone can cook, so whats the problem. The comment on them eating it like that in India was uncalled for though.

As for being called a f****** p*** thats rubbish that has been hyped up through almost chinese whispers. First of all the word was bleeped out. Second of all british news channels reported it being just p*** and not f****** p***. Thirdly, big brother producers have said that he didnt say either and he just told her to f*** off because she was pestering him constantly.

and very conveniently you forgot to reply to this...

suggesting that in India that is how all chicken in cooked. “That's why they are so thin over there (India) because they eat this dirty food and then throw up

As for being called a f****** p*** thats rubbish that has been hyped up through almost chinese whispers.

Did you just say "chinese whispers" as part of your defence in dismissing racism? Yikes. It's ingrained.

hmm there seems to be some racist comments there as well as general bullying (calling her a dog) and ignorance. the thing is, if there is racism, why isn't BB doing anything about it? it'll be interesting when they come out of the house.

so are we sure she was called a p**i? or has this been blown up again?

and very conveniently you forgot to reply to this...

As you where sarcastic im tempted not to comment, however as i simply didnt read that part i will comment now:

This is the first time i read this comment. I was under the impression that they only said thats how they eat it in India, or is it in asia... i already said in my post that this comment was uncalled for. As for the addition of them saying its dirt etc, this is the first report i ahve seen of this. Are you sure that report is not only just over hyped journalism, i.e exageration.

Did you just say "chinese whispers" as part of your defence in dismissing racism? Yikes. It's ingrained.

lol, yeah i did think it was a bit of a pun...

hmm there seems to be some racist comments there as well as general bullying (calling her a dog) and ignorance. the thing is, if there is racism, why isn't BB doing anything about it? it'll be interesting when they come out of the house.

so are we sure she was called a p**i? or has this been blown up again?

I have seen no other reports of them calling her a dog though. Is this not just over hyped in the Indian news post quoted above?

I never said i didnt believe it?

I have been reading the wrong news articals! I never realised it was this bad :no:

It's all scripted, actually. If not all, then most of it is definitely scripted. They've been successful in generating interest among the viewers. In the end, the channel is happy, the sponsors are happy, the actress gets her million and she is happy. Who cares about the viewers, anyways.

I never said i didnt believe it?

I have been reading the wrong news articals! I never realised it was this bad :no:

well, you were suggesting it was all exaggeration.anyway. now that you've seen the video...

well, you were suggesting it was all exaggeration.anyway. now that you've seen the video..

I didnt see the video as im on a course at the moment. I only read the article. I thought it was exageration on the Indian press' part as i thought they where adding bits a pieces to it, but i didnt realise that the UK press had actually said the same thing. Not that i dont trust the Indian press, its just that it may have been a form of one person telling another person and that person telling another etc.

“Everything about her is infuriating: her haughty way of stalking about, her indomitable self-confidence, her chandelier earrings, her leaping eyebrows, her mirthless smile, her putty nose and her eternal bray, "Why does everyone hate me?" Not to mention the crying jags. What no one seems to have quite understood is that Shilpa is a very good actress. Everyone hates her because she wants them to. She also knows that if she infuriates people enough, their innate racism will spew forth,” stated the Guardian.

here is another angle :)

TV regulator Ofcom received more than 7,600 complaints about the treatment and Channel 4 has also received nearly 2,000 complaints about the racist bullying of Shilpa Shetty on Big Brother. “But we should not be surprised by the housemates' behaviour - it reflects the widespread bigotry of British society,” Germaine Greer, is quoted by the Guardian.

i thought the British were civilized these days :p

src: http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=79818

I kind of agree with what the house mates are saying, just not the way they are saying it. She does get on my nerves but only because of her as a person. My niece is like here (a good little actress) can turn on the tears any time and gets the attention she wants etc, but then is a bossy winey person etc. She gets on my nerves and so does Shilpa.

The things they said about her cooking and Indians etc are totaly uncalled for however and there was no reason what so ever for them.

Maybe it is all clever acting on Shilpas part, i do think she has been a little fake since being in the house, but without knowing what she was like before she was in the house (in real life) i cant comment. I do think she is genuinly upset at the housemates comments however.

i thought the British were civilized these days :p

The majority are (working-class , middle -class and even some upper class). The problem is these protentiuos pr*cks who are led to believe they are upper-middle class **coughcoughguardianreaderscoughcough**.

IMHO those who phoned in to complain have been over sensitised by the upper-middle class PC bridgade !

From that video we can clearly tell that Shilpa is a far classier person than Danielle. Perhaps it all comes down to money and upbringing. Danielle clearly had neither.

From that video we can clearly tell that Shilpa is a far classier person than Danielle. Perhaps it all comes down to money and upbringing. Danielle clearly had neither.

Oh deffinatly. Danielle is more famous for her assets than anything else i would say, although i have to admit i didnt know who she was until she came to BB.

Oh deffinatly. Danielle is more famous for her assets than anything else i would say, although i have to admit i didnt know who she was until she came to BB.

Ironically, that makes Shilpa a better ambassador for the UK.

that's what i was saying. i said it's not racist, it was ignorance becuase she was asking that as a question.

about the part of correcting them, she wasn't asking her, but talking about her to someone else as far as i could see.

You do realise that the tone you use when speaking can greatly influence the meaning. A patronising or derogatory tone would make it a racist comment in my opinion.

does anyone think there would have been as big an out cry , had there been only 1 white house mate and the rest were Muslim/Indian/Pakistani ?

If the show was edited in exactly the same way - to show an attractive woman being bullied - I think so.

It's all scripted, actually. If not all, then most of it is definitely scripted. They've been successful in generating interest among the viewers. In the end, the channel is happy, the sponsors are happy, the actress gets her million and she is happy. Who cares about the viewers, anyways.

I wouldn't say "scripted" but everyone knows that the editors pick and choose what to show based on how they want to influence viewers.

You do realise that the tone you use when speaking can greatly influence the meaning. A patronising or derogatory tone would make it a racist comment in my opinion.

maybe, i couldn't hear it properly. she was talking quietly and i couldn't be bothered to turn the tv up just for a short clip. she sounded thick though, so maybe she really didn't know.

I wouldn't say "scripted" but everyone knows that the editors pick and choose what to show based on how they want to influence viewers.

So if the protests turn into violence then the producers of the show will be held accoutnable for incinting racial hatered ??

Do you honestly believe they would flount the law like that , all fo the sake of a couple of extra viewers ?

Wel having just watched it for the first time properly tonight, i realise i realy should have taken more notice of it before i originally posted. I was amazed by how rude and stupid Jade was acting. I honestly hope that jade is evicted and looses her fame (although it will probably be the opposite). She was so rude and for no reason. Poor Shilpa did not deserve any of that.