Prizes!

We might not hear for some time about the Chip and the Space trip Prizes.

For the other stuff I think someone said the drawing would be toady at 9:00 am, not sure what time zone.

We might not hear for some time about the Chip and the Space trip Prizes.

For the other stuff I think someone said the drawing would be toady at 9:00 am, not sure what time zone.

Pretty sure that you'll hear about it.....just a guess but I would assume that MS will want to milk as much PR out of this as possible. I am thinking at the very least the winners of the chip and the space flight will have to go down to the local affiliate and do some "press". MSNBC, CNN, CNBC those kind of things...Tomorrow maybe Friday morning rounds at the latest. You gotta strike while the iron is hot!

Edited by paravelib

The draw takes place in 30 minutes :-) good luck everyone

(The Grand Prize Winner will be selected from all eligible entries received in a random drawing to take place on January 31, 2007 at 10:00 a.m.(ET)

The draw takes place in 30 minutes :-) good luck everyone

(The Grand Prize Winner will be selected from all eligible entries received in a random drawing to take place on January 31, 2007 at 10:00 a.m.(ET)

The chip prize has been awarded...enter a new guess at the /lokiv addy to see the new "prize has been awarded" message. C'mon LOKI (or the winner), tell us who now.

the potential Grand Prize winner will be notified by telephone between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (Potential Winner?s local time) on February 1, 2007

IF the first selected Grand Prize winner does not answer, so an alternate winner would be called;

AND the first winner's local time is 8 or more hours earlier than the alternate winner's local time;

THEN it is *impossible* to contact the alternate winner, "between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (Potential Winner?s local time) on February 1, 2007".

If this actually happened it's most likely that they would extend the time to accommodate, of course - it just seemed odd that they would specify the official written rules with a big obvious loophole.

So if you won the trip to space, would you accept the prize?

On one hand, it's a trip to space! I believe you would technically become an astronaut!

on the other... the ship hasn't been built/tested/proven safe... who knows if it will even work out. In the meantime you'd have to pay taxes on the prize now. $50k helps cover that, but the prize value is treated as income, so in the US you'd pay a progressive income tax on it, with most of the tax being in the 28% and 33% brackets (depending on your other income). That roughly puts the tax around $73,000, so you'd have to pay $23,000 out of your own pocket next April for a trip to space that you may not be able to take due to the fact that the ship hasn't been built/tested/proven safe...

ouch

You can (should be able to) wait to claim the value of the ride to space until the year you actually get to go.

You would think that they would contact you by some other means then phones.

Whenever I register on a site I use my home number; however I'm in college, different number.

Has anyone here been contacted about any of the prizes yet?

If you read the official rules, it looks like the winner of the trip to space, drawn today, will be contacted tomorrow by phone.

For all the other prizes (minus the AMD chip prize), there is a drawing tomorrow, 01 Feb, and winners will be notified by email or overnight mail.

I just got this email,

Congratulations on a game well played, and thank you for helping us

disappear.

You were not the first to guess our identity, but because you played

our game, we want to tell you our secret.

There is no such person as Loki - or rather, she is four sisters who

decided to be one extraordinary person.

Each of us has a unique talent:

Lorelei is our tinkerer. Clocks and counting, space and time: she is

our genius.

Odessa is our performer, our actress and magician, the girl we send in

to dazzle and charm. Odessa goes to meetings: Loki gets promoted.

It's very convenient.

Kara is our reader. With a love of history and a photographic memory,

she gives us access to any fact, figure, or event at a moment's notice.

Ivy is our spy. She's the girl you dont notice, the face you don't

remember, and vanishing is what she does best. Ivy has gotten us out of

more than one impossible situation.

Together, we have presented L.O.K.I. to the world. Our mask and

super-hero, LOKI has allowed us each to be bigger than ourselves.

When we heard Microsoft and AMD were looking to give extraordinary

prizes to exceptional people, we knew LOKI could never find a more perfect

job. This, Odessa said, would be a trick we could never top. O, how

we wanted this job! (And what clever, unfair, underhanded things we did

to the other applicants to make sure we got it! But that's another

story.) And once we got the job, we all agreed that Loki's greatest

triumph would be her last.

We created the Vanishing Point to reward the smartest minds (and

communities) on the planet - and still we underestimated you. We used our

smarts and our guile, not to mention money and connections and countless

hours of time - and still you humbled us. We knew the terrain and

barely gave you a mapand that didn't stop you. We built puzzles that

should have taken you days and you solved them in hours.

"Loki" is a genius: but you were far more brilliant. You were thought

made fire. You were lightning.

Thank you for your work, your talent, and your dedication. It has been

a privilege to witness: an honor and a delight.

For each of us to live, Loki had to die. Thank you, thank you beyond

words for taking her to the Vanishing Point.

Lorelei

Odessa

Kara

Ivy

I guess that means I did'nt win anything. oh well, such as life.

yup...just got the same e-mail

I just got this email,

I guess that means I did'nt win anything. oh well, such as life.

that just means that we didn't win the amd prize...rest of the drawing is tomorrow:

First through Fourth Prize: The remaining potential winners will be selected from all eligible entries received in a random drawing to take place on February 1, 2007 at 10:00 a.m. (ET). And will be notified by e-mail and/or U.S. Mail or overnight delivery service within 48 hours of drawing. Winners may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and where legal, Publicity Release within fourteen (14) days of issuance of notification.

There's still hope for my Zune! :laugh:

my question would be ... what if you dont have the 1500 points??? ( never got around to having people sign up and be refered by me... ) but i did asnwer all the questions ... would i still qualify for the draws??

This is actually the final game. Everyone still has a chance to win a trip to space until someone actually answers the phone. :laugh:

ha...right right......

my question would be ... what if you dont have the 1500 points??? ( never got around to having people sign up and be refered by me... ) but i did asnwer all the questions ... would i still qualify for the draws??

Yeah--I only got around to having 1300 points. You don't have to have all 1500 to be in the drawing; every point you have is another time that your name is in though. So someone with all 1500 would have a better chance than someone who has 1300. But yeah you still qualify.

You get one entry in the draw for each point. more points = more chances. I considered signing up fake registrants with my plethora of extra e-mail addresses until I realized that for each 10 bonus entries I got, my fake registrant would get 20, thereby negating the benefit of the bonus points. Not to mention how terribly immoral it would be...

Yeah, I made it to 1330...but the way I see it, is that only us hardcore geeks are probably the only ones that played it, I'm kinda thinking that our chances of getting something are probably 1 in 15 anyway.

1 in 15.. meh try 1 in 1500 ;).... not that many prizes compaired to users if you think about it.. god knows how many users signed up probs tones of them.. your 1 person... has to be at least a million with a prize like that so your 1 outa a million say.. devide by number of prizes and work it out... its well over 1 out of 15.. :p mayb if only 20,000 people signed up but im sure alot more than we think signed up..

Not counting the Chip Prize and the Space trip there are 490 prizes.

Considering the 1350 chances I have to win the odds might be good but my brain hurts too much to do any math now.

I'd guess if you have 1300 points then your odds are probably 1 in 100 of winning a prize. That is really really good compared to most online contests. A good number of people from this site should win some nice prizes.

I'd guess if you have 1300 points then your odds are probably 1 in 100 of winning a prize. That is really really good compared to most online contests. A good number of people from this site should win some nice prizes.

well, if the drawing isn't toooooooooattttttly random, i am in BAD BAD BAD need of a new pc.

i lost 2 desktops just last year due to faltering electrical systems in the places i've been living.

Loki, can you pull a string or two? (jk--don't rig it)