Neowin Fantasy Baseball Season 2007

I was wondering if it'd be possible to remove hits as a category? By adding in hits, it gives the batters an extra category making them more valuable than pitchers. 6 cats for hitters, 5 categories for pitchers.

By giving hitters an advantage, it becomes possible to just forego all pitching and focus only on hitting and still win the entire league. While that may be really hard to do, it is possible, where as if it's only 5 categories for hitting and 5 for pitching, then you need a balance across your entire team.

I can live with things either way, but just felt that having the same number of categories between hitting and pitching makes things more fair.

Edited by lawtai

I was wondering if it'd be possible to remove hits as a category? By adding in hits, it gives the batters an extra category making them more valuable than pitchers. 6 cats for hitters, 5 categories for pitchers.

By giving hitters an advantage, it becomes possible to just forego all pitching and focus only on hitting and still win the entire league. While that may be really hard to do, it is possible, where as if it's only 5 categories for hitting and 5 for pitching, then you need a balance across your entire team.

I can live with things either way, but just felt that having the same number of categories between hitting and pitching makes things more fair.

While this change would likely help me, I don't agree with making scoring changes after the draft.

I assume that late reliever guys (6th to 8th inning guys) who are not closers (and thus don't have high save numbers) are not of particularly high value. Am I wrong? Highly ranked pitchers seem to be either starters or closers.

It's probably the same in real life if you look at pitcher salaries. I guess the best pitchers either become starters or closers although the ranking seem exaggerated in Yahoo. There still is real life value to a good set up guy.

In fantasy, those middle guys can really help keep your era and whip down given their short outings and frequency of usage. They helped me a lot last year.

I don't think I can change it now and I'm not sure I would want to. I'll consider it more next year, though.

Well, I can change it. If anything, I would remove OBP, but I need a consensus. IMO, we should just leave it, though.

I missed the draft and was joyed that I missed it after seeing Pujols drafted on my team. Did my team draft first or something? :p

yea I believe you had the first pick

I don't think I can change it now and I'm not sure I would want to. I'll consider it more next year, though.

Well, I can change it. If anything, I would remove OBP, but I need a consensus. IMO, we should just leave it, though.

I would vote for removing hits over OBP first, since OBP will atleast take into account walks, which isn't accounted for anywhere else. I'm fine with leaving things the way they are.

Just wanted to make a point to try and make pitching and hitting even, which I believe adds a little more strategy to things than allowing for one to focus mainly on one area to try and win.

I have Gary Mathews Jr. if anyone wants him. Sure he is under investigation but he will still hit you in some runs :p. Also lawtai what are you looking for?

Edited by AnAmerican

Messing with scoring post-draft just doesn't fly. If you thought it wasn't fair, you should've said it before the draft. Otherwise everyone's already drafted based on what they knew would count in the standings. I know I would've made a few different picks if different stats counted.

Messing with scoring post-draft just doesn't fly. If you thought it wasn't fair, you should've said it before the draft. Otherwise everyone's already drafted based on what they knew would count in the standings. I know I would've made a few different picks if different stats counted.

Yeah, don't worry, nothing's going to change. It was an idea and a pretty good one. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait to consider it until next year. That's all.

In fantasy, those middle guys can really help keep your era and whip down given their short outings and frequency of usage. They helped me a lot last year.

Well, I picked Derrick Turnbow up from free agency. Francisco Cordero is now the accepted closer which means that Turnbow probably won't get a lot of saves. Hopefully he is still useful to me. He had a horrible 2006 (at least since July) but I'm hoping that he can return to his 2005 form.

I had originally planned to make this move when I first got up this morning but I kinda forgot. Luckily he was still available (I just made the move now). Of course, that also makes me wonder why nobody else grabbed him. :s

I had originally planned to make this move when I first got up this morning but I kinda forgot. Luckily he was still available (I just made the move now). Of course, that also makes me wonder why nobody else grabbed him. :s

I was going to pick him up last night but since I have 3 closers and enough good RP's, I decided to leave him.

I was going to pick him up last night but since I have 3 closers and enough good RP's, I decided to leave him.

He's available again. I took a gamble on Eric Gagne. 3 surgeries later, is there anything left of the original? We'll see.

The big move that I wanted was Mark Markakis. I grabbed him on waivers just to make sure. He is, apparently, a good young fielding prospect and I am desperate for outfielders. I was hoping that post-draft surplus of outfielders would get dumped but he was the only one that appeared. Still, I'll take what I can get.

I also made a bunch of other moves. It took me a while to figure out why Dotel had an O-Rank much higher than his 2005 and 2006 ranks. He wasn't young enough to expect a lot of improvement from. I assume now that it is because he is being given the closer role when previously he was a set up guy. The prospect of SVs must do wonders for his O-rank.

Your welcome ;)

I dropped him a few days ago for a pitcher.

As much as Mark Markakis would be most people's 4th or 5th outfielder, he actually becomes my best.

• 2 weeks later...

I need a pitcher since Pedro is out until the second half of the season which means I am dropping him.

If anyone has too many pitchers and is willing to trade, shoot me an offer.

I just realized that I have 4 pitchers from the LA Angels. I might as well get a few more and then I won't have to track any other team's rotation.