Join Neowin Folding@Home Group

Okay, I will check out the folding@ home forum and see about optimizing my quad core.

I just wish i had a faster connection to make this really useful.

^

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?

Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software.

Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

i just joined 55186 :)

so keeping the ps3 on for long periods of time is fine right? eh i guess its just like a computer

Yeah it's fine to leave it on all the time. Mine basically only gets turned off when there is a firmware update or something.

i was checking out the neowin group page - http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.p...p;teamnum=55186 was just wondering how you accumulate score? how do people with less or the same amount of work units completed have a higher score? is it mostly from using a pc with multiple processors?

Yeah it all depends on the client software used, and the computer.

I've been contributing more as of late. It's just that my parents don't like me leaving the PS3 on when noone is using it.

I try and tell them it's for the greater good, but they won't have it :happy:

I signed up, downloaded and installed, what is this folding and WU and everything, iam really lost, someone care to explain what this is all about, what to do and the purpose?

Thanks in advance

What sort of PPU (points per unit) do you get with the PS3 folding client?

15 points for a 10 minute unit. 125 points for a 3 hour unit. and 250 points for a 6 hour unit. there is also a unit that can take around 24 hours that gives 1500 points. but you barely ever get that.

i just started a few days ago, but ive been folding 24/7 since on my ps3. i just bought a new comp so once i get it, and get it setup, ill prob start folding on there too :) im moving up the neowin charts!

i need help, i cant connect to the damn smp client. says my credentials are rejected when running install.bat. i dont login to windows, so i dont have a ****in password, and you cant use a blank one. im getting really ****ED OFF i cant figure it out, i checked the f@h forums...i still dont know what to do... no one checks this thread.. i have 4 cores sitting here waiting to fold god damnit im going to bed

....k got it installed. everything seems to be perfect, up until the point where its just hanging at "completed 0 out of 500000 steps" i dunno its just hanging there... hmm

edit: k, 6 minutes later - completed 5000 of 500000 steps <1 percent>

edit 2: 12 minutes later - 10000

seems slow, is this normal?

Edited by jesse

People who use the regular (not smp) clients will notice there is a big point drop because the new 30xx WU's are different.

congrats! i just started a few weeks ago, i think i recently just cracked the top 20! we definitly need more folders

maybe we should make a thread in gen discussion? get a few more people to fold on their pc's

btw, i want your veteran badge! very cool