[ps3] Why is it not selling?

Car damage has always been a problem before. Not due to programming but due to licensing from the manufactures of each car. Wonder what changed to let them finally be able to add this feature.

The thing is that the PS3 is far too expensive, and has absolutely NOTHING you can't get on other consoles. Ok, so it has blu ray, but you can get an Xbox 360, HD DVD drive, and a Wii for less money than a PS3. The price simply is not justified. The power of the console, graphics etc, are on a par with the 360. There really is no advantage. The wii is a cool novelty, so if anything people will opt for a 360 and a wii over a PS3.

The thing is that the PS3 is far too expensive, and has absolutely NOTHING you can't get on other consoles. Ok, so it has blu ray, but you can get an Xbox 360, HD DVD drive, and a Wii for less money than a PS3. The price simply is not justified. The power of the console, graphics etc, are on a par with the 360. There really is no advantage. The wii is a cool novelty, so if anything people will opt for a 360 and a wii over a PS3.

I certainly can't - You sure you can??

?579.93> = ?269.96 (360) + ?129.98 (HD-DVD addon) + ?180* (Wi?399.999 = PS3

*All are online prices except the Wii. Thats UK launch price... why? Cause online prices for the Wii on amazon are actu?289.9999 !!! So thanks to the shortage of Wii's at the moment I&probablyly need to pay more than:/?180 :/

Edited by Audioboxer

Xbox 360, HD DVD drive, and a Wii for less money than a PS3

uh that's way false.

here in NZ

Xbox 360 with 20GB HDD - $719

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefron...uct/View/YG1101

HD-DVD Drive - $249

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefron...uct/View/YG1158

Wii - $498

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefron...uct/View/YG6100

Total - $1,466

Playstation 3 60GB - $1,198

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefron...uct/View/YG2300

and this is assuming you dont buy any games for any console.

Its a demo of what is to come. its limited to 10 cars.

If i remeber correctly once u complete it with the last car u get an extra 5 or so cars! so its more around 15-20cars!

If i remeber correctly once u complete it with the last car u get an extra 5 or so cars! so its more around 15-20cars!

GTHD is just a concept demo. It was originally slated to be a full game, but the name was scrapped and the demo will soon become the full game of Gran Turismo 5 :) The demo provides 10 standard cars. As you complete the game, you will unlock the tuned version for each car giving a grand total of 20.

We already have evidence from two sources now that the machine is selling by the bucket load, this thread should be closed and the haters should be told to go home.

What evidence was that again? I guess I missed it. And since when does reality-based criticism = hating?

This is a very simple concept: The fact that Sony "set a record" in the UK means jack squat. Why? Because this record is worth approximately $0.00. The only reason Sony was able to sell that many consoles is simply because they had 220,000 available - and they couldn't even sell them all! So, I ask you: How is having a launch that leaves consoles on the shelves a success? (HINT: It's not.)

Had Nintendo had 220,000 Wii available at launch there, guess how many they would have sold in the same time span (actually, it likely would have happened more quickly)... give up yet? The answer is 220,000 (which, for those keeping score, is more than 160,000)

What evidence was that again? I guess I missed it. And since when does reality-based criticism = hating?

This is a very simple concept: The fact that Sony "set a record" in the UK means jack squat. Why? Because this record is worth approximately $0.00. The only reason Sony was able to sell that many consoles is simply because they had 220,000 available - and they couldn't even sell them all! So, I ask you: How is having a launch that leaves consoles on the shelves a success? (HINT: It's not.)

Had Nintendo had 220,000 Wii available at launch there, guess how many they would have sold in the same time span (actually, it likely would have happened more quickly)... give up yet? The answer is 220,000 (which, for those keeping score, is more than 160,000)

But guess what: Nintendo didn't have 220,000 at launch and it's already too late to make a stand on that.. now isn't it? Sony had the largest launch in Europe and was able to provide. Like posted many times, it's so easy to put a negative spin on anything.

Positive - Sony provides enough consoles to supply the initial launch rush: "Great news! We've had a successful launch and now we've got just enough for the second wave of buyers! It was a good idea to make sure we could supply the demand and then some."

Negative - Sony provides enough consoles to supply the initial launch rush: "Typical Sony! Nobody wants their garbage. They can't even sell all their consoles! Look at how many they have left over. How pathetic!"

Which sells? The negative, apparently.

It is becoming yet another slang match though.. could use a good lock. (Y)

But guess what: Nintendo didn't have 220,000 at launch and it's already too late to make a stand on that.. now isn't it? Sony had the largest launch in Europe and was able to provide. Like posted many times, it's so easy to put a negative spin on anything.

Positive - Sony provides enough consoles to supply the initial launch rush: "Great news! We've had a successful launch and now we've got just enough for the second wave of buyers! It was a good idea to make sure we could supply the demand and then some."

Negative - Sony provides enough consoles to supply the initial launch rush: "Typical Sony! Nobody wants their garbage. They can't even sell all their consoles! Look at how many they have left over. How pathetic!"

Which sells? The negative, apparently.

It is becoming yet another slang match though.. could use a good lock. (Y)

No. It's not negative spin vs. positive spin. It's PR babble vs. shareholder information.

as dave karakker said, "damned if we do, damned if we don't". if they didn't have enough supply, people would just complain about sony unable to manufacture enough systems. now that they do have the supply, people are saying it's because no one wants it. it's really a no-win situation for sony in some people's eyes. bbc is reporting that 600,000 ps3s have been sold in europe. i would say that's a pretty good start, but there seems to be a lot of "glass half-empty" people around. again, we just have to wait for more numbers and see if it continues to sell in the next few weeks/months.

Sony has sold more than 600,000 of the 1 million PlayStation 3s made available in Europe last Friday, the company confirmed this afternoon.

"Yes, 600,000 is the figure for Europe," a spokesperson told Eurogamer, after the BBC reported the number yesterday without comment.

Sony has already claimed a UK record for the fastest-selling home console in history, having sold an estimated 165,000 units in the UK in its first two days on sale.

That compares very favourably to the 105,000 units Nintendo Wii sold in its first weekend and the 70,000 Xbox 360s Microsoft managed, although both companies struggled to meet demand whereas Sony, having positioned the European launch away from its American and Japanese counterparts, was able to prepare supply in advance.

The idea, Sony said ahead of launch, was to make sure it was possible for people to go into a shop on the day of launch and actually buy one. A quick survey of the crap video shop down the road revealed this is possible, but if you actually want to buy it they have to send Dave up to the stock room.

Source: eurogamer.net

haha, i love eurogamer :D

A quick survey of the crap video shop down the road revealed this is possible, but if you actually want to buy it they have to send Dave up to the stock room.

i hope SONY can keep the momentum going

I won mine, didn't cost me a dime... :devil:

I'm impressed because it is quiet (relative to xbox360), but would not buy it myself because of the pricing, but hey I won one!!!

this is a dumb thread. of course its selling. why not as much? you'd have to be dumb to not figure its cause of the price.

this should be closed cause after all the million articles and threads that put down the ps3 this is just some bull**** thread the op started to get everyone started up again knowing full well why the ps3 isnt selling as much.

Why is not selling eh?

Chart-Track estimates 165,000 units sold in two days

Chart-Track has told GamesIndustry.biz that UK consumers snapped up an estimated 165,000 PlayStation 3 units in the two days following the console's launch.

That makes PS3 the fastest-selling home console in history, beating the Wii - which shifted 105,000 units during its launch weekend - and Xbox 360, with 70,000 sold.

Overall, the PlayStation 3 is the second fastest-selling piece of games hardware in history. That record still belongs to PlayStation Portable, with 185,000 units sold during the handheld's launch weekend.

PlayStation 3 launched in Europe on Friday, priced at GBP 425 / EUR 599 for the 60GB model.

taken from http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23781

all the sony haters and 360 fan boys need to accept the PS3 is the best console. Notice the bit that says "PS3 the fastest-selling home console in history"

interesting

all the sony haters and 360 fan boys need to accept the PS3 is the best console. Notice the bit that says "PS3 the fastest-selling home console in history"

interesting

prepare for hell and have fun with the resonses :shifty:

Glue I think you should read the discussion before posting. The question asked has more to do with why it's not selling out, 165000 of 225000 consoles bought.

The PS2 is the biggest selling console ever, Snyper wants to know why this one is struggling, which it is. Look at the Japanese and US sales figures where it is being thoroughly beaten by the Wii and 360 respectively.

This was stated several posts back.

Not reading a thread and posting these sort of comments does not win you friends.

Beside all fanboy comments and the performance question, the most obvious reason is the price. Sony says that the BD-ROM is the future, yeah, true, but this is a Console, the target is more the gamer than a movie fan. Not anybody can effort a PS3, and like performances are similar people will more buy the X360 since they will get a nice pack with games and stuffs for the same price of an PS3. Anyone will understand that.

You want to have a console, media is a bonus but it's not your target, so remove the blue ray playback from the PS3. 60GB HDD, is it really needed so mush for gaming? No a little 20GB is far enough for a pure gamer. Mush more power (Well, what they says), so what? If the game experience isn't changed too mush, most of gamers won't care. HDMI output, big res output and stuff, well as we says, if the price is the important factor, it probably go the same with the screen you know, not anyone have a 50" HDTV Plasma etc...

So at the end, the PS3's extra will not be needed for most of people, so they go on the X360 that cost less. People that need what the Ps3 as to offer as brought it already.

interesting

Even more interesting is that what you just posted has already been discussed, debunked as to its importance and we've since moved on.

You tried, though, and that's the important thing, son. :laugh: