[ps3] Why is it not selling?

Why is not selling eh?

Chart-Track estimates 165,000 units sold in two days

Chart-Track has told GamesIndustry.biz that UK consumers snapped up an estimated 165,000 PlayStation 3 units in the two days following the console's launch.

That makes PS3 the fastest-selling home console in history, beating the Wii - which shifted 105,000 units during its launch weekend - and Xbox 360, with 70,000 sold.

Overall, the PlayStation 3 is the second fastest-selling piece of games hardware in history. That record still belongs to PlayStation Portable, with 185,000 units sold during the handheld's launch weekend.

PlayStation 3 launched in Europe on Friday, priced at GBP 425 / EUR 599 for the 60GB model.

taken from http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23781

all the sony haters and 360 fan boys need to accept the PS3 is the best console. Notice the bit that says "PS3 the fastest-selling home console in history"

interesting

Are you one of those Sony marketing plants who join message boards to drum up support?

Sorry already got one of those, we don't need two. :D

<3 Neowin

Even more interesting is that what you just posted has already been discussed, debunked as to its importance and we've since moved on.

You tried, though, and that's the important thing, son. :laugh:

No it hasn't been 'debunked'. Linking to one or two random pages with images means absolutely nothing. The only people who have ignored that fact are those that hate Sony or the PS3.

i dont understand why this has to come down to a bloody fanboy issue....

I, as a one time gamer back in the PS1 and VERY early PS2 days have noted that the rush to buy seems to have deflated somewhat...

No it hasn't been 'debunked'. Linking to one or two random pages with images means absolutely nothing. The only people who have ignored that fact are those that hate Sony or the PS3.

Right. Of course. I hate not only Sony and the PS3, but video games in general. In fact, I've hated them since I started playing back in the early 80's.

For the record, links aren't necessary (though they have been provided) to debunk the importance of these recent sales figures. The only thing needed is common sense, and a remedial understanding of business.

I, as a one time gamer back in the PS1 and VERY early PS2 days have noted that the rush to buy seems to have deflated somewhat...

Welcome to the Gamer section of Neowin :p

MichaelBL Posted Today, 18:52

Quote - (snyper @ Mar 28 2007, 19:24)

Welcome to the Gamer section of Neowin

QFT...

...so you're calling all of us here with a ps3 fanboys?

Many months ago a Sony exec said as much (remember "the first 5 million will sell" comment?)

i'm willing to say because it's $600 which is alot and would prevent many people from buying it. also i'm sure that people are treating a HDTV as a requirement to get one.so it' would probably come out to $2000 for a good hdtv and the ps3 plus the hdmi cable and extra controllers.

seriously, $1000AUD for a console is bloody insane.

It is, the thing is though not many people see it that way. Standalone Blu-Ray players go for well over $1k(AUD) and people are actually seeing the PS3 as a bargain (as it is a cheap Blu-Ray player that also plays games :p) and see the quote below that proves it.

Why is not selling eh?

Chart-Track estimates 165,000 units sold in two days

Chart-Track has told GamesIndustry.biz that UK consumers snapped up an estimated 165,000 PlayStation 3 units in the two days following the console's launch.

That makes PS3 the fastest-selling home console in history, beating the Wii - which shifted 105,000 units during its launch weekend - and Xbox 360, with 70,000 sold.

Overall, the PlayStation 3 is the second fastest-selling piece of games hardware in history. That record still belongs to PlayStation Portable, with 185,000 units sold during the handheld's launch weekend.

PlayStation 3 launched in Europe on Friday, priced at GBP 425 / EUR 599 for the 60GB model.

taken from http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23781

all the sony haters and 360 fan boys need to accept the PS3 is the best console. Notice the bit that says "PS3 the fastest-selling home console in history"

interesting

Essentially Sony are using the Blu-Ray drive to sell (and justify the price of) the PS3, if the PS3 just had a DVD drive like the 360 and Wii, it probably wouldn't be doing as well I'd reckon ;) (people bashed Sony for including the Blu-Ray drive as standard, yet it could be the one thing that could allow the PS3 to dominate this round of the console war)

Edited by Xerxes

No matter the price, the day the next Metal Gear Solid 4 and/or the next Gran Turismo is launched on the PS3 i WILL be buying a PS3 AND a 1080p 42" LCD HDTV.

Those are the games i'm waiting for that will make me jump on Sony's bandwagon!

It is, the thing is though not many people see it that way. Standalone Blu-Ray players go for well over $1k(AUD) and people are actually seeing the PS3 as a bargain (as it is a cheap Blu-Ray player that also plays games :p) and see the quote below that proves it.

Essentially Sony are using the Blu-Ray drive to sell (and justify the price of) the PS3, if the PS3 just had a DVD drive like the 360 and Wii, it probably wouldn't be doing as well I'd reckon ;) (people bashed Sony for including the Blu-Ray drive as standard, yet it could be the one thing that could allow the PS3 to dominate this round of the console war)

No. If the BD drive wasn't included, a lot of the cost simply wouldn't be there, and the console would likely be $100-$200 cheaper at retail. BD has, and will continue to be, the biggest thorn in the side of the PS3, as it creates much of the cost problem.

And I highly doubt that anyone concerned with the price has any interest whatsoever with BD/HD-DVD. The people who see it as a bargain BD player, are also the people who can afford to spend whatever on the latest tech. The problem is, they make up a very small part of the population.

Too expensive!! For the price of the console, add-ons, and a game I could easily buy a wii, additional controllers, and a half a dozen games.

Video games are made to be fun. The Wii has accomplished this task very well. For jaw-dropping graphics the PS3 can't be beat - but at such a high price?! Forget it!

No matter the price, the day the next Metal Gear Solid 4 and/or the next Gran Turismo is launched on the PS3 i WILL be buying a PS3 AND a 1080p 42" LCD HDTV.

Those are the games i'm waiting for that will make me jump on Sony's bandwagon!

You want to get a PLASMA if you're going over 32"

No. If the BD drive wasn't included, a lot of the cost simply wouldn't be there, and the console would likely be $100-$200 cheaper at retail. BD has, and will continue to be, the biggest thorn in the side of the PS3, as it creates much of the cost problem.

And I highly doubt that anyone concerned with the price has any interest whatsoever with BD/HD-DVD. The people who see it as a bargain BD player, are also the people who can afford to spend whatever on the latest tech. The problem is, they make up a very small part of the population.

That is true, without the BD-ROM the PS3 would be cheaper (it'd be inline if not cheaper then the 360 without the BD-ROM I'd imagine) but cost is not a problem for the PS3, it out sold (on lauch, in the UK) the (considerably cheaper) Wii so obviously not everyone has a problem with the high price. Plus being the successor to the most successful console [PS2] probally helped and I'm sure quite a few people also bought into Sony's lies also.

The BD drive will probally benefit Sony more in the long run, while [in the future] Xbox 360 and Wii developers are running out of room and forced to span thier games over multiple disks, PS3 developers will still be trying to fill an entire BD disk[*] (I'm assuming as the BD tech matures and larger capacity disks emerge, PS3 developers will take advantage of it, providing the PS3 BD drive can read them) so while Blu-Ray is not needed now in a couple of years time it will be a different story I think ;)

[*] = While some developers are already almost filling a BD disk now, they are probally just doing it cause they can, to try and look good. However, there will be a select few developers that will take full advantage of the extra space and in time we will see how much of a different it really can make.

That is true, without the BD-ROM the PS3 would be cheaper (it'd be inline if not cheaper then the 360 without the BD-ROM I'd imagine) but cost is not a problem for the PS3, it out sold (on lauch, in the UK) the (considerably cheaper) Wii so obviously not everyone has a problem with the high price. Plus being the successor to the most successful console [PS2] probally helped and I'm sure quite a few people also bought into Sony's lies also.

That's completely irrelevant. The PS3's sales RATE was greater than the of the Wii's, over the first 2 days. That doesn't mean a thing, as the Wii was supply-constrained. Take a look at the OVERALL GLOBAL SALES if you want to get an idea just how much price is a factor.

The PS2 sold over 100,000,000 consoles, and given the strength of the brand (pre-PS3), out-selling the Wii would have been no problem had the price been $400 or less. So, how is price not a problem?

That is true, without the BD-ROM the PS3 would be cheaper (it'd be inline if not cheaper then the 360 without the BD-ROM I'd imagine) but cost is not a problem for the PS3, it out sold (on lauch, in the UK)

I dont know how the stock status in the north of England is with the PS3 but in the South we've been able to go to any major high street store and ask for a PS3 off the shelf. This is from the first batch distrubuted. So no i doesn't appear to have sold out in the UK and Yes price is definately a factor when you look at whats available for the machine and the extra costs for cables etc. The 360 looks very attractive when you can pay the same price and get so much more.

And now to add insult to injury microsoft have announced the the 360 Elite, HDMI and a 120GB HD !!!!! and this will still be cheaper than the PS3.

The one thing that sony should really be commended for is bringing the cost of Next Gen games down, they are undercutting MS but i would imagine this won't last for long.

That's completely irrelevant. The PS3's sales RATE was greater than the of the Wii's, over the first 2 days. That doesn't mean a thing, as the Wii was supply-constrained. Take a look at the OVERALL GLOBAL SALES if you want to get an idea just how much price is a factor.

The PS2 sold over 100,000,000 consoles, and given the strength of the brand (pre-PS3), out-selling the Wii would have been no problem had the price been $400 or less. So, how is price not a problem?

Alright I'll admit defeat on that, however, I just want to point out the global sales are also irrelevant (the 360 had a 1 year head start and the Wii also had a couple of extra months also).

i think price has something to do with it.

but if everyone purchased a PS3 and it caught on, i bet it would out-sell everything. it's an awesome (stats wise) system (ive never had hands on yet), but the price... oh god sony the price!

Why? Price only?

if its about plasma cause they dont make any plasma tv's under 40" afaik.. if they do its very rare. better of with lcd for anything under 40"

Alright I'll admit defeat on that, however, I just want to point out the global sales are also irrelevant (the 360 had a 1 year head start and the Wii also had a couple of extra months also).

WHAT?!?!? :blink:

Launch dates:

PS3: Nov 11 (Japan), Nov 17 (NA), March 23 (Europe)

Wii: Nov 19 (NA), Dec 2 (Japan), Dec 8 (Europe)

The only place the Wii had a "head start" is in Europe... and Europe loves the PS3.

Sales in Europe:

PS3 = 600,000

Wii = 700,000

So, that "head start" has Sony with a ~100,000 unit lead over the Wii, which is negligible at this point. I honestly fail to see how you can say that global sales are irrelevant. :wacko:

if its about plasma cause they dont make any plasma tv's under 40" afaik.. if they do its very rare. better of with lcd for anything under 40"

Yes, but he said over 32" it should be plasma, not under 42" it should be LCD. There's a difference.

See the thing is... PS3 is selling. Definitely not as good as the Wii but it's doing all right. I agree they need to land and/or get some exclusives out and that will help sales a lot but for now PS3 is selling fine.