Leaked: Windows Live Messenger 8.5

Well, I've got it...but cannot get it to install as it errors out at 35% of the install; anyone want to PM me to tell me how to get it to install?!

Not as impressive as I had hoped. Oh well, work in progress :)

Well black isn't impresisve in WLM,blue is my favorite. In black u can't see the boders well defined,on the other hand blue shows a better work,depends on the preferences each user has though.

post-69181-1180363598.png

Edited by EduardValencia

Wish the newest Mac version would get leaked. :( I suppose it will come with Office 2008 later this year.

yeah they can make it like this right out of the box

wlmbetaWJFN.png

It wouldn't make any sense on Microsoft's side. They need an income for the messenger somehow and placing that ads on are what generates it.

I don't see how you can complain so much about the ads anyways. Yes, ok, the contact list has a giant(ish) one at the bottom but really, looking at it, it's not that big. Compared to half of the ads I see while I surf the net (I know....I know.... 'ad-block' but I'm tired of destroying revenue to legit websites) this ad is tiny.

And then what is wrong with a single line of text on the bottom of your contact windows? It's honestly like a size 11 font sentence that REALLY isn't that distracting.

Like unless you are using a 800x600 monitor, the ads really arien't that distracting. Ok I could see a 1024x768 being a bit annoying but my message to that is to get a bigger, better monitor. You're long overdue anyways.

Anyways back on topic. FINALLY got it installed (XP SP2 32Bit) and I have to say that I am REALLY liking the interface. I just can't wait to see which new features are going to be put in (which again....you guys talk about "bloatware"....with highspeed connections and the size of hard disks nowadays, who cares? If you want slim and extremely light packages...go back to 3.11 and use email to contact.....the world can't stay 1.5mb forever and still improve a messenger)

Just a thought of mine :)

I''ll send this concept once beta starts,if i get approved of course

post-69181-1180370864_thumb.jpg

Right now,the BETA looks like this on my pc,Just compare these 2 :)

post-69181-1180371631_thumb.png

Edited by EduardValencia

It wouldn't make any sense on Microsoft's side. They need an income for the messenger somehow and placing that ads on are what generates it.

I don't see how you can complain so much about the ads anyways. Yes, ok, the contact list has a giant(ish) one at the bottom but really, looking at it, it's not that big. Compared to half of the ads I see while I surf the net (I know....I know.... 'ad-block' but I'm tired of destroying revenue to legit websites) this ad is tiny.

And then what is wrong with a single line of text on the bottom of your contact windows? It's honestly like a size 11 font sentence that REALLY isn't that distracting.

Like unless you are using a 800x600 monitor, the ads really arien't that distracting. Ok I could see a 1024x768 being a bit annoying but my message to that is to get a bigger, better monitor. You're long overdue anyways.

Anyways back on topic. FINALLY got it installed (XP SP2 32Bit) and I have to say that I am REALLY liking the interface. I just can't wait to see which new features are going to be put in (which again....you guys talk about "bloatware"....with highspeed connections and the size of hard disks nowadays, who cares? If you want slim and extremely light packages...go back to 3.11 and use email to contact.....the world can't stay 1.5mb forever and still improve a messenger)

i just dont like ads, i use gaim/pidgin but when i need to use the webcam i have to switch and i dont want taht stupid thing flashing stupids ads

So, can someone please tell me how to get this installed, as the forum it points to when downloaded -- to get the instructions on installing it -- is no longer up...I get to 35% and it errors out; I see a lot of people have gotten it installed so there's got to be someone who can tell me how?!

Too remove the ads at the bottom:

4004-923 line 177 find:

CODE

<Element layoutpos=bottom layout=borderlayout() padding=rect(4,0,4,0)>

<Constrainer layoutpos=top ID=Atom(SSConstrainer) Layout=FillLayout()>

<SlideShowWithAd ID=Atom(AdBanner) Layout=BorderLayout() Padding=Rect(0,0,8,3) Active=Mouse>

<Element Layout=BorderLayout() LayoutPos=Top>

<Element ID=Atom(SSTitle) ContentAlign=MiddleLeft|EndEllipsis Padding=Rect(8,0,0,6) LayoutPos=Left Tooltip=True Accessible=True AccRole=42 Active=MouseAndKeyboard/>

</Element>

replace with:

CODE

<Element layoutpos=none layout=borderlayout() padding=rect(4,0,4,0)>

<Constrainer layoutpos=top ID=Atom(SSConstrainer) Layout=FillLayout()>

<SlideShowWithAd ID=Atom(AdBanner) Layout=BorderLayout() Padding=Rect(0,0,8,3) Active=Mouse>

<Element Layout=BorderLayout() LayoutPos=Top>

<Element ID=Atom(SSTitle) ContentAlign=MiddleLeft|EndEllipsis Padding=Rect(8,0,0,6) LayoutPos=Left Tooltip=True Accessible=True AccRole=42 Active=MouseAndKeyboard/>

</Element>

Check out the post over at mess.be haha

The problem with leaks is that a lot of mirrors pop up out of nowhere and you can never really trust them to still provide the authentic stuff. In this case, even the proclaimed leaker abused its increased popularity to bundle ads into the Windows Live Messenger 8.5 installer at the disadvantage of you guys.

In order to protect overexcited but unwary Messers from compromising their systems with unwanted garbage, I'm going to refer to the rather popular Digg of our story (hijacked by a Neowinian apparently!). In its comments you'll find a dozens of mirrors but there's one in particular that can be trusted.

Note that we always advise against downloading leaked internal or beta builds, but with attention that this leak is getting in the blogosphere we can only ring the alarm for the inevitable group who gives the cold shoulder to our advise.

What we do recommend is that you all sign up for the official new Windows Live Messenger beta program over at connect.microsoft.com (thanks for the link the.exe.ecutioner & anonymouse91). If you get selected, you'll be able to voluntarily but actively participate in the development of your favorite IM software. Sounds just like the job for you, am I right?

Remove bottom ads in convo:

Reshack msgres.dll > 4004 > 920

Find : adbannergutter

replace "Bottom" by "none" in the same line

&lt;Element layoutpos=bottom layout=filllayout() id=atom(adbannergutter)&gt;