FA Premier League Thread

FA Premier League 2007/08  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the FA Premier League 2007/08?

• Arsenal
    • Blackburn Rovers
    • Bolton Wanderers
    • Chelsea
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester United
    • Newcastle United
    • Portsmouth
    • Tottenham Hotspur
    • Other
  2. 2. Who be relegated from the FA Premier League 2007/08 (select 3)?

• Aston Villa
    • Birmingham City
    • Derby County
    • Everton
    • Fulham
    • Middlesbrough
    • Reading
    • Sunderland
    • Wigan Athletic
    • Other
  3. 3. Who will be top scorer in the FA Premier League 2007/08?

• Benni McCarthy
    • Carlos Tevez
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Didier Drogba
    • Dimitar Berbatov
    • Fernando Torres
    • Michael Owen
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Yakubu Aiyegbeni
    • Other

Why the hell would you want to do that?

ummm maybe because they are seventh. maybe because he couldn't put the right squad together if his life depended on it. maybe because he is a baby and still wants more money after all that he spent. maybe because he has really not accomplished much (other then the champions league win, but i give more credits to the players for the amazing comeback then him), reason enough?

ummm maybe because they are seventh. maybe because he couldn't put the right squad together if his life depended on it. maybe because he is a baby and still wants more money after all that he spent. maybe because he has really not accomplished much (other then the champions league win, but i give more credits to the players for the amazing comeback then him), reason enough?

So who would you like as the next manager then?

I heard Mourinho is really interested in the Liverpool job. Liverpool fans will be really hoping for him if they continue in this form.

Anyways, away from Liverpool, everyones talking about it, United absolutely thrashing the Toon. Could have been many many more. Looks like we are in for one of the best title races in modern times. :yes:

Tom Hicks today admitted the club's owners held a meeting with Jurgen Klinsmann over the possibility of becoming the next manager of Liverpool - but that Rafa Benitez can now count on the full backing of both chairmen.

Hicks and George Gillett sounded out the German about taking over in the Anfield hot-seat if Rafael Benitez left the club.

"In November, when it appeared we were in danger of not advancing in the Champions League, weren't playing well in our Premier League matches, and Rafa and we were having communication issues over the January transfer window, George and I met with Jurgen Klinsmann to learn as much as we could about English and European football," he explained.

"He is a very impressive man. We attempted to negotiate an option, as an insurance policy, to have him become our manager in the event Rafa decided to leave our club for Real Madrid or other clubs that were rumoured in the UK press, or in case our communication spiralled out of control for some reason.

"After George and I had our long and productive meeting with Rafa following the Man United match, we put all of our issues behind us and received Rafa's commitment that he wanted to stay with Liverpool.

"We never reached agreement on an option with Jurgen, and we are both pleased for him that he has a great opportunity to return to Germany and coach a great club team.

"Rafa has both of our support, and our communication has greatly improved.

"Foster, Rick Parry and Rafa now have regular meetings at Melwood on Monday mornings.

"The two families always try to have a telephonic meeting on Monday afternoons, so we all are on the same page. We all want to win more games."

Oh I am on fire now. I could not believe that when I read it on the LFC.tv homepage. I am so livid right now and I will be back later with a huge rant.

And rajputwarrior...you are no Liverpool fan.

God I hope you appoint Klinsmann and we can have Benitez.

We need some one other than Mark Hughes. I think he's an ok manager but not for us.

The problem we've got at the moment is we keep appointing the same type of manger (4 out of the last 7, Gullit was just useless) then complaining about it Dalglish, Souness, Roeder and Allardyce are all dull and defensive. Which people then complain about. What do we expect when they've managed that way for their whole carers!

I thought the problem was to do with Freddy Shepherd more than anything else and that Mike Ashley was going to be the new Sir John Hall. Now after seeing the candidates for our new manager I'm not so sure. I'll reserve judgement until he's appointed someone.

Also Martyn do you think they going to try to get Rafa out by the same way they got rid of Evans?

Klinsmann already signed with Bayern so theres not chance of it happening but still its not on but it happens no club is exempt even one as passionate as Liverpool, the owners obviously have their own agenda which is hurting the club.

So who would you like as the next manager then?

i wouldn't mind Mourinho (though i do thing h is a jackass)

Oh I am on fire now. I could not believe that when I read it on the LFC.tv homepage. I am so livid right now and I will be back later with a huge rant.

why? cause i don't like rafa? i get up at between 4-7 am every morning to watch their games and skip class or call in late for work so i can watch all of their champions leagues games, and i have more liverpool jerseys then i can count. So why? gillette turned my habs around, i hope he can improve liverpool to. Just because we share different opinions about the same team doesn't make me any less of a fan then you. You may have the advantage by living there and being able to see their games. But i bet i have watched just as many liverpool games as you have and battled with man u fans (like my dad (a war in my house a week before and after the game every time those two face off, and a buddy from work), ac milan fans and any other liverpool haters just like you.

Edited by rajputwarrior

I am so livid right now so brace yourself for a nice long rant.

Tom Hicks today admitted that himself and George Gillett met with Jurgen Klinsmann about him taking over as manger of Liverpool Football Club.

George Gillett and Tom Hicks completed their take over of Liverpool Football Club almost a year ago. They came from across the water with their pockets full of money and dishing out promises here, there and everywhere. I, like many other Liverpool supporters, lapped up their promises that they would deliver an unbelievable stadium, world class players and make our dreams come true. After all, what else could we do? I trusted the club and David Moores when they handed over the reigns to our American friends. Less than a year later and our great club is in crisis, and all the blame in my opinion lands right at the American?s doorstep.

So lets look at the facts, what have George and Tom actually brought to Liverpool FC since they took over? What have they invested? Have they delivered on their promises?

They bought the club in early February 2007 for ?470 million, the money for this came from a loan from the Royal Bank of Scotland liable against the value of the club. Later on, in mid July we where presented with breathtaking plans for our new stadium that literally took my breath away, made me drool and gave me a semi! Last month though our American owners announced that they where going to ?revise? the stadium plans due to spiraling costs. When they first came to the club they promised us a world class stadium and with money not much of an issue. It is clear to everyone now that they have gone back on their word.

One of the reasons why myself and a lot of my fellow fans where originally quite pleased with George and Tom taking over our great club, was that we would have the ability to compete more effectively in the transfer market. This summer we spent a net of ?20 million and invested in the likes of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel, both of whom are the type of players that we as fans wanted to see at our club. A lot of people do not know that Torres and Babel where purchased using bank credit notes, and ?we? have yet to pay out of our own pocket for them.

All in all, it appears that George Gillett and Tom Hicks have not invested much, if any, of their own money in the club, for all their millions of billions of pounds of money and promises they have delivered nothing. They bought the club using a loan wagered against the club itself, went back on plans for a beautiful stadium due to costs, and purchased players using bank credit notes! Myself and many of my fellow fans want them gone as they are dragging our club through the dirt. They obviously lack any knowledge of football and bought Liverpool Football Club simply as an investment, and do not give two ****s about us, that is the harsh truth.

I honestly cannot believe Tom Hicks made a statement that publicly undermined our current manager Rafael Benitez and showed a complete lack of respect for what the man has achieved at the club. What is the point of Hicks making a public statement saying that they tried to replacement Rafa Benitez two months ago? All he is doing is dragging our great club through the mud and giving the media even more food to chew on in their endless quest to remove Benitez from Liverpool. The power of the media should never be underestimated, and it can control and manipulate everything, Hicks obviously knows this. The constant rumours and speculation in football help sell more newspapers which generates more money for the media mongrels, but it does nothing to benefit the world of football. Quite simply, at least in the higher leagues such as La Liga and The Premier League, football is simply a commercial activity. At the end of the day football is just a sport that people follow for entertainment.

The only reason I can think of for Tom Hicks coming public today with a statement about replacing our current manager is in hope of publicly undermining Benitez?s position in hope that it becomes untenable for Rafa to stay at Liverpool. These American?s are all about money, and if Rafa resigns they will not have to pay him millions of pounds in compensation, and that is all they care about. If you look closer at the statement it is pretty interesting as Hicks tries to justify his actions, he says that in November when ?we weren?t playing well in our Premier League matches? himself and George Gillett met with Jurgen Klinsmann. However, in November we where still unbeaten in the Premier League and in great form. Our results for November where as follows; Liverpool FC 0 Blackburn Rovers 0, Liverpool FC 8 Beskitas 0, Liverpool FC 2 Fulham FC 0, Liverpool FC 3 Newcastle United 0, Liverpool FC 4 FC Porto 1. Hardly the results of a club not playing well are they? It just seems to me that Tom Hicks and George Gillett want rid of Rafa Benitez and they attempted to paint a false illusion of poor results in an attempt to justify their actions.

The Rafa Benitez situation has been brawling for a while now, and I remember blogging about it briefly after we beat Marseille 4-0. It started off with Rafa having private talks with the owners about financial backing, and when George and Tom told him to concentrate on winning games Rafa went public with his concerns in a bid to force their hands. Since then the situation has escalated out of control with Rafa?s position seemingly perilous according to the media. Anyone can see that current situation and speculation, whether true or false, is visibly beginning to affect the performance of our team, results have not been great lately and we have drawn our last four games in all competitions.

No one can deny Rafa Benitez is a world class manager, his success at all levels shows this. With Valencia he won La Liga twice right under the nose of Real Madrid and Barcelona, and considering Valencia had not managed to win La Liga for thirty one years, this was no mean feat. In 2004 Rafa Benitez took charge of Liverpool with a squad in disarray and seemingly going backwards. Yet in his first season in charge he took Liverpool to Champions League glory, beating the likes of Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan along the way. Benitez is a great manager and has achieved so much in his career, but to be frank, it would make this post even longer if I listed them all. This is why I find it astounding that our owners sought to replace Rafa with Jurgen Klinsmann, someone who has never managed a team at club level.

In my mind there is no doubt that Rafa will be the one to bring the league title to Liverpool. Rafa has been building his team since he came to Liverpool in the summer of 2004, any person who knows even a little about football should know that a title winning team is not assembled overnight. It took Sir Alex Ferguson seven years to win the league title with Manchester United. Sir Alex inherited a side who had finished 4th prior to him taking charge, 12 points behind the league winners. In Ferguson?s first five years in charge of Manchester United, they finished 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th and 6th. Rafael Benitez also inherited a side who had finished 4th in the league prior to him taking charge, but a massive 30 points behind the league winners. Since Rafa took the managerial reigns he has took Liverpool to 5th, 3rd and 3rd again the league. The whole point of my comparrison between Rafa and Sir Alex is to prove my point that a title winning side cannot be built overnight, and who better to compare Rafa to than the person whom many consider to be one of the greatest managers of all time? For those also interested, it took Alex Ferguson four years to win his first silverware at Manchester United, and as I am sure many of you know, it took Rafa Benitez just the one year.

In this day and age money is a fundamental part of football. Without money, you quite simply will go nowhere in my opinion. Gone are the days when you can generate a squad of home grown players and win the league. Quite simply, football is now a massive commercial sport. The likes of Jose Mourinho have been presented with huge wads of cash, spent well and brought (or some would say bought) success to their clubs. Benitez has been backed since he came to Liverpool under David Moores, and on average he had a net spend of around ?15 - ?20 million per year, we where not spending like Chelsea and Man Utd (who could afford to spash out huge sums on the likes of Schevchenko, Drogba, Essien, Ferdinand, Rooney and Carrick), but we where making steady progress as a football team. Benitez has invested wisely and built up the core of his team with the likes of Alonso, Reina and Agger who where all obtained for a combined fee of around ?22 million.

Liverpool have a big squad with a lot of good players. In my opinion, only Reina, Carragher, Gerrard and Torres would have a hope of getting into Arsenal, Chelsea, or Manchester United?s sides. That is the sad truth and the reason we never mount a sustained title challenge, even the greatest manager will not win the league over 38 games with players of a limited abilty. We have some good players, but many of whom are not of the required quality to bring the league title to Anfield again. We need to splash out on some quality players like other top sides, instead of spending ?5 million here and there on players who simply just make up the numbers. In recent years we have invested a lot in players for the future, such as Lucas and Insua who I imagine will turn into very, very good players. What we need now though are players who will improve the club right now, just like Fernando Torres.

As I said before, I have no doubt that Rafa Benitez is the man to bring league title number 19 back to Anfield provided he is backed to the hilt. Although the question remains if he will be allowed to do that. In my opinion something has got to give in the near future, either Rafa Benitez or George and Tom will have to go and I pray to Fowler it will not be Rafael Benitez that will be leaving Anfield.

In Rafa we trust!

No kidding, don't think I have met a single Scouser who wants to get rid of Rafa. You would have to be nuts or just know nothing about the Premier League.

Liverpool's biggest problem (other than owners who dont give a crap) is Alex Ferguson.

wow, nice rant martyn. You make some strong points, especially the comparison of rafa and sir alex. In terms of players, i think there are a ccouple of more top quality players then that, like Riise (whom i love to death) and why does everyone hate on crouch, he was the number goal scorer for the english squad, he does his job and he does it well, manchester was even after him and liverpool snagged him.

But honestly, if liverpool doesn't qualify for Champions League this year, rafa is going to be gone. Like it or not, Tom and George aren't going anywhere. You may have them, but honestly you need to look at what George did for Montreal to see he is actually an awesome owner. He is one of the best in the NHL, and he has really kept the traditions of hockey in montreal alive. He is even planning a centennial plaza for the habs, who are the greatest hockey franchise of all time and the second greatest profesional sport franchise of all time. He loves traiditon and will honor it and celebrate it like crazy. Just give him time. I can't really speak for hicks but his club has won a stanley cup in a state mainly dominated by american football and baseball.

why? cause i don't like rafa? i get up at between 4-7 am every morning to watch their games and skip class or call in late for work so i can watch all of their champions leagues games, and i have more liverpool jerseys then i can count. So why? gillette turned my habs around, i hope he can improve liverpool to. Just because we share different opinions about the same team doesn't make me any less of a fan then you. You may have the advantage by living there and being able to see their games. But i bet i have watched just as many liverpool games as you have and battled with man u fans (like my dad (a war in my house a week before and after the game every time those two face off, and a buddy from work), ac milan fans and any other liverpool haters just like you.

Well if you don't like Rafa then you are in a minority of very, very few people. I'm not having a pop at you mate, I have enjoyed reading some of your posts before now but I just cannot comprehend why you would want to get rid of Benitez, or do you want to go back to the later Houllier days?

You also said we where lucky to win the Champions League in 2005. So we where lucky to beat the likes of Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan? Even last season we got to the Champions League final and beat Barcelona and Chelsea again on the way to the final! The season before last we won the FA Cup as well, not to mention we have also won the Supercup and Community Shield. Since Benitez took charge of Liverpool we have won more trophies than Manchester United in that same period of time.

And another thing, you would like Jose Mourinho to replace Rafa as manager? What? You should know full well about the whole Mourinho v Benitez rivalry and Chelsea v Liverpool rivalry. If you are as educated as you say you are on football then I am at a loss to understand why you would want Jose to take over. Sure he is a great manager, as is Sir Alex Ferguson, but they are just off limits.

Just to reaffirm, I am not having a pop at you. Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but I just cannot comprehend why your opinion is so wayward.

wow, nice rant martyn. You make some strong points, especially the comparison of rafa and sir alex. In terms of players, i think there are a ccouple of more top quality players then that, like Riise (whom i love to death) and why does everyone hate on crouch, he was the number goal scorer for the english squad, he does his job and he does it well, manchester was even after him and liverpool snagged him.

But honestly, if liverpool doesn't qualify for Champions League this year, rafa is going to be gone. Like it or not, Tom and George aren't going anywhere. You may have them, but honestly you need to look at what George did for Montreal to see he is actually an awesome owner. He is one of the best in the NHL, and he has really kept the traditions of hockey in montreal alive. He is even planning a centennial plaza for the habs, who are the greatest hockey franchise of all time and the second greatest profesional sport franchise of all time. He loves traiditon and will honor it and celebrate it like crazy. Just give him time. I can't really speak for hicks but his club has won a stanley cup in a state mainly dominated by american football and baseball.

Riise was actually one of the players who I was referring to (not never mentioned by name) as to having a lack of quality needed to win the Champions League. Riise has been a great servant to us since he signed for us in 2001 (I think it was?), but whilst being a good player I just feel we have out grown him as a squad. It is a shame Aurelio gets injured so much, as he offers so much more when he plays. Riise is a good athletic player, but his technical abilty and tactical awareness is appalling. Sure some people may point out he scores some banging goals (goals against Man Utd and Chelsea always spring to mind), but he is only averaging 1 or 2 goals a season...and considering the way people rage about how Riise has a brilliant shot and left foot, he does not score many goals (but he has about 20 shots (aka wasted oppertunities) a game). I would agree with your comment about Crouch, he seems to be a bit like marmite and you either love or hate him, I personally love the man (his girlfriend is well fit as well), but the problem is that when you play Crouch you tend to play one dimensional (hoof it) football.

George Gillett has been very quiet recently, and it only seems to be Tom Hicks who is making all these wild statements. So I am not sure what to make of Gillett, he seems a likeable enough guy but you never know, he could just be getting Hicks to do all the dirty public statements for him.

I found this on Hicks that may interest you...

http://rangersorrobbers.wordpress.com/2007...-against-hicks/

Well if you don't like Rafa then you are in a minority of very, very few people. I'm not having a pop at you mate, I have enjoyed reading some of your posts before now but I just cannot comprehend why you would want to get rid of Benitez, or do you want to go back to the later Houllier days?

You also said we where lucky to win the Champions League in 2005. So we where lucky to beat the likes of Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan? Even last season we got to the Champions League final and beat Barcelona and Chelsea again on the way to the final! The season before last we won the FA Cup as well, not to mention we have also won the Supercup and Community Shield. Since Benitez took charge of Liverpool we have won more trophies than Manchester United in that same period of time.

And another thing, you would like Jose Mourinho to replace Rafa as manager? What? You should know full well about the whole Mourinho v Benitez rivalry and Chelsea v Liverpool rivalry. If you are as educated as you say you are on football then I am at a loss to understand why you would want Jose to take over. Sure he is a great manager, as is Sir Alex Ferguson, but they are just off limits.

Just to reaffirm, I am not having a pop at you. Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but I just cannot comprehend why your opinion is so wayward.

i sorry, but saying "i am not fan of Liverpool" is something i would call a jab at another person. I am not saying i am as big of a fan as you or anyone else. I personally love the team. Absolutely ****ing love them. I am not saying their victory was luck, but they did have a bit of it, all good teams do. I am not trying to demean what they have accomplished, they have done great things in europe. And no, I DO NOT WANT Houllier back.... EVER! No one was happier for hsi departure then me. He can stay in france. I am not saying i would like, honestly, i just i dunno, i am sooo ****ed off on how terrible they are playing and having my dad grind it in my face every saturday. Maybe i did make stupid remark, but honestly i can't see Rafa staying if they don't qualify for champions league this year. He is a great manager, you backed that up very well, and maybe i am just being stupid, but i personally don't think Rafa will win us england.

Another problem i have is that you keep bashing Gillete (i don't blame you i guess, but he is an awesome owner) and i beleive gillette will bring us success, he has done very very very very good things for the habs. And i am sorry, i do take offense when people tell me i am not a liverpool fan and yes i did take it as a jab because i don't know how else was suppose to take that.

Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort said they have not ruled out appointing a foreign manager amid reports the club is interested in Gerard Houllier.

The former Liverpool and France manager is one of the front-runners in the race to succeed Sam Allardyce.

However, Mort emphasised that any foreign appointment would need to speak English fluently.

"This is a big job without having to operate through an interpreter," Mort told the Newcastle website.

"There have been media suggestions that we would only appoint a British manager. That is not true."

Newcastle have been forced to widen their search for Allardyce's successor after Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp rejected a move to St James' Park.

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes and former Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan and former striker Alan Shearer have also been linked with the vacant job, along with Houllier.

The 60-year-old - who won five trophies over six seasons with Liverpool - is currently employed as the French Football Federation's technical director.

Reports have also suggested Houllier could potentially bring in Shearer as his number two in an attempt to groom the former England star for the job long-term.

Mort also emphasised any new appointment would need to rejuvenate Newcastle's youth system, a requirement Houllier is more than capable of achieving.

He has worked extensively at the FFF's centre of excellence at Clairefontaine which has overseen the development of the likes of Thierry Henry, Nicolas Anelka and William Gallas.

"I would not stand in Gerard's way if there was something else he wanted to do," said FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalette. "I'm not surprised he gets offers.

"He turned down one or two to rejoin us - and they were better financially than we could offer him."

Caretaker manager Nigel Pearson has taken charge since Allardyce's departure last Wednesday.

The Magpies face a tricky third-round replay against Stoke in the FA Cup, their only realistic hope for silverware this season.

However, Mort insisted the club's next manager will be a long-term appointment with a mandate for attacking football.

"There are some clubs in the country where it is essential that the team generally tries to play football with some flair, and this is one of them," he said.

"In the most difficult league in the world it is only the great managers that can combine that sort of style with winning."

Houllier is a maybe for me. I think Hitzfeld who we should get.

To the Liverpool fans. You have to think about why these Americans bought your club and I'm afraid the answer is, to make money. However much they invest they will be looking to take more out in the long run. Where were these people when football was struggling financially? Now there's plenty of cash about they want a piece of the pie. They couldn't give a monkeys if it's "soccer", rugby, snooker, darts or dwarf tossing. They want to make money.

I was so relieved when we got taken over by Ashley. Some of the names that were bandied about would have wrecked the club.

Edited by monkey13

i sorry, but saying "i am not fan of Liverpool" is something i would call a jab at another person. I am not saying i am as big of a fan as you or anyone else. I personally love the team. Absolutely ****ing love them. I am not saying their victory was luck, but they did have a bit of it, all good teams do. I am not trying to demean what they have accomplished, they have done great things in europe. And no, I DO NOT WANT Houllier back.... EVER! No one was happier for hsi departure then me. He can stay in france. I am not saying i would like, honestly, i just i dunno, i am sooo ****ed off on how terrible they are playing and having my dad grind it in my face every saturday. Maybe i did make stupid remark, but honestly i can't see Rafa staying if they don't qualify for champions league this year. He is a great manager, you backed that up very well, and maybe i am just being stupid, but i personally don't think Rafa will win us england.

Another problem i have is that you keep bashing Gillete (i don't blame you i guess, but he is an awesome owner) and i beleive gillette will bring us success, he has done very very very very good things for the habs. And i am sorry, i do take offense when people tell me i am not a liverpool fan and yes i did take it as a jab because i don't know how else was suppose to take that.

Nah I was not having a go at you personally, I was just frustrated at the fact that your view seemed to contrast all reason and 99.9% of all Liverpool fans. Saying that though, I am having to deal with regular abuse of Rafa from many Mancs, and one of my Scouse frieinds has lot faith in Rafa and would like Didier Deschamps to take over!

As I said before though, it is not Gillett I am worried about. Gillett is not the one coming out with the disrespectful statements that are causing nothing but trouble for our club, Hicks seems to be the problem but Gillett is seemingly doing nothing about it.

frack it.. lets keep him! i guess martyn helped change my mind.

168171.jpg

:)

Wow. At least they got someone who will offer some stability to the management side now.

Can Keegan now keep up with the current style of premiership?

Tell you the truth I can not even think how it will all work. Hopefully this means Newcastle will have at least players that will act good and stop getting injuried. I think that is one of the other reasons why people hate Newcastle FC.

I am just listening to Radio 5 and alot of fans are saying that they are gonna be like they were in 1997 but the team is completely different now.

On a side note Havant and Waterlooville have just beaten Swansea 4 - 2. This means they will go on to play Liverpool. The money produced from the match alone will make the club happy. I really hope this goes on tv.