Team Fortress 2 General

The update today showing Minimal UI and field of view settings.

Low field of view.

post-43974-1191378395_thumb.jpg

High field of view.

post-43974-1191378477_thumb.jpg

Also, on a side note, has anyone experienced this problem with all the columns clumping up on the server screen? ?This happens in CSS as well.

post-43974-1191378556_thumb.jpg

Background maps don't load for me any more, I like the background map, but it's kinda pointless as they are, maybe if they added bots running around shooting each other it would be more worthwhile.

Oh, and has anybody tried the new "Very High" texture quality in TF2?, it lags my system as it's loading the materials (half-second per texture, very hard when you run into a fire-fight and it loads a whole bunch at once), but man does it look kick-ass.

Edit: I was looking at a computer store I go to, and it turns out I have enough cash to buy myself a 512MB 8600GT, worth upgrading from a 256MB 7600GT?

Edit 2: And 2GB of DDR2 if I'm right about how much I have.

Background maps don't load for me any more, I like the background map, but it's kinda pointless as they are, maybe if they added bots running around shooting each other it would be more worthwhile.

Oh, and has anybody tried the new "Very High" texture quality in TF2?, it lags my system as it's loading the materials (half-second per texture, very hard when you run into a fire-fight and it loads a whole bunch at once), but man does it look kick-ass.

Edit: I was looking at a computer store I go to, and it turns out I have enough cash to buy myself a 512MB 8600GT, worth upgrading from a 256MB 7600GT?

Yes, the new very high texture quality is insane. It actually runs faster on my machine when I have it enabled. Although I do have 1GB of VRAM. :p

^port is still in use either by another DS or a stuck process. Try manually using a port other than default (-port 27016 etc)

Haven't tried the new high tex mode, does it really fill vram on 512MB+ cards?

Edit 2: And 2GB of DDR2 if I'm right about how much I have.

Screens? I can't get it right now on my laptop.

Also, on a side note, has anyone experienced this problem with all the columns clumping up on the server screen? ?This happens in CSS as well.

Mine's always been like that....it's annoying as hell.

^port is still in use either by another DS or a stuck process. Try manually using a port other than default (-port 27016 etc)

Haven't tried the new high tex mode, does it really fill vram on 512MB+ cards?

I'd like to see comparison shots of the "low" and "high" textures.

Screens? I can't get it right now on my laptop.

All-right, these aren't my screen shots. (Taken by M_B from Facepunch)

Very High

cpgravelpit0005ox5xa2.th.jpg

High

cpgravelpit0006um9ed3.th.jpg

As you can see, there is a lot of difference, Valve made some huge image maps for TF2, some face maps alone are 2048x2048.

For some reason a recent TF2 update made my desktop run a whole lot smoother (and that's after I increased the textures to "Very High"! ... now I'm getting 160 FPS at all settings maxed, 4 x AA, 8 x AF @ 1440 x 900), but my average FPS on my laptop went down from 35 to 20... hmmm...

The update today showing Minimal UI and field of view settings.

Low field of view.

post-43974-1191378395_thumb.jpg

High field of view.

post-43974-1191378477_thumb.jpg

For what purpose do you want to be able to adjust your field of view? :\

You guys got any tips'n'tricks for engineers?

Biggest tip is to build a dispenser next to your sentry but out of view if you can. Then wedge yourself inbetween the dispenser and sentry gun.

Healing/Ammo goes to you, and you don't have to move! ;)

Also when building teleporters on a map like dustbowl try to get behind the enemy lines and put an exit. Means your team can attack the enemy from the back for as long as your exit stays up!

Biggest tip is to build a dispenser next to your sentry but out of view if you can. Then wedge yourself inbetween the dispenser and sentry gun.

I hope they change that and put a no build radius zone around the turrent that you cant place a dispenser in. Just long enough that you have to walk up and repair a turrent and not just sit there and keep hitting it.