The state of Neowin

I agree with you on this too. There are several sections here I've NEVER looked at, like the Mac forums (not that there's anything wrong with it) I just have little/no intrest in it. If I have nothing meaningful to contribute to that area, I'm not going to rush in and spout off about something I know little to nothing about.

Kinda like TV, 100s of channels, most I could care less about, so guess what? I don't watch them. Samething applies here.

Exactly, but I think the underlying problem is that because there are so many sections to Neowin, some people have the (unnecessary) obligation to reply to each one knowing that 90%+ of the time their posts are useless, they get warned, threads get closed, and?so?on.?Maybe?a?member?watchlist?is?in?order?

I say hide post counts. Neowin is too post count centric which only encourages useless posts. Close the milestones forum.

I agree completely.

Such a drastic, and in my opinion, stupid suggestion.

Yeah I was obviously serious about doing that XD

I definitely remember the good ol days...as of recently, I haven't contributed much to the site as I've been fairly inactive.

I remember we had a big debate about post count before on this site and the question that I propose is, who really cares? I know that there are certain members who have been very helpful on this site, and I know which members have been around a long time. Regardless of how many posts you have, you can still be a beneficial factor to this forum. For people to moan and groan about a number is just ridiculous.

As for the general aspect, I have noticed an increase in more general discussion, but I feel that this off-topic discussion is increasing due to a growing member base. Back in '01, the forum was all about the technical aspects because of the limited number of members we had, thats what everyone wanted. Now, as Neowin continues to grow, the amount of general discussion increases as members view this site no longer as just technical-based.

Personally, I love hangin in the Sports Arena (even though activity in that forum has dropped off), but I can just as easily go visit a forum dedicated to, you guessed it, just sports.

Exactly, but I think the underlying problem is that because there are so many sections to Neowin, some people have the (unnecessary) obligation to reply to each one knowing that 90%+ of the time their posts are useless, they get warned, threads get closed, and so on. Maybe a member watchlist is in order?

Fear not.

The staff have their own forum, every time you mess up or they want to discuss they add another post onto the members thread.

I think this is common on most forums. We use it on the Vista forums that i moderate at.

The "Snyper" Thread here is about 28 pages long.

I think the mods should have a deep discussion to an approach that is more than just warnings and closing topics. Remove some sections, hide the post counts, and in the end have a poll to see what is best for the community and for mods to do their thing effectively.

Sundayx, I strongly agree with your post.

I think neowin is just trying to stray back on course, from when it first opened. It's been a long year since neowin has been slipping, and i've even helped in a lot of off topic posts, but also attempted to straight some threads out by telling people to get back on topic.

I wish neowin would go back to the way it was a year and a half ago, but I feel as if it will go back to that state very soon.

I'd rather have a organized, on topic forum, with rules, rather then a hell hole where anything can be said, without penalties

Exactly, but I think the underlying problem is that because there are so many sections to Neowin, some people have the (unnecessary) obligation to reply to each one knowing that 90%+ of the time their posts are useless, they get warned, threads get closed, and?so?on.?Maybe?a?member?watchlist?is?in?order?

You're right about that, It does take some self-control not to post just for the sake of posting (something some people seem to lack).

Not sure how the watchlist would work or who would be in charge of it, but sounds like a decent idea.

On a side note, Hiding the post count sounds like a fine idea as well, or change it to reflect the QUALITY of posts not QUANTITY. Just my:) cents :)

A crazy thought but should neowin divide into two sites?

One for tech only items and another for other subjects? Just a thought, sounds like a lot of hassle though.

I think the mods should have a deep discussion to an approach that is more than just warnings and closing topics. Remove some sections, hide the post counts, and in the end have a poll to see what is best for the community and for mods to do their thing effectively.

Way ahead of you on that... we've already had the discussion... pretty long one too... now were working on ideas to implement them.

How about a positive/negative button next to each post similar to YouTube or Digg? Instead of quantity of posts, the overall popularity from other users would be shown as a +(x amount) or - (x amount)? Seems to work well on other sites..

Just a random thought over here :$

How about a positive/negative button next to each post similar to YouTube or Digg? Instead of quantity of posts, the overall popularity from other users would be shown as a +(x amount) or - (x amount)? Seems to work well on other sites..

Just a random thought over here :$

It would be abused too. Anyone in one side of some argument will give a negative feedback to people on the other side of the argument.

It would be abused too. Anyone in one side of some argument will give a negative feedback to people on the other side of the argument.

In the short term yes, however having instead of the post count on the left hand side with a grand total of all positive/negative feedback from other users would give a better overview of that persons credibility/resourcefulness...?

I dunno :)

There is another alternative, but there's no use talking about it since I don't know if it's going to be implemented or not, as IPB currently doesn't have it.

Sorry but, Radish has already perfected "t3h banz0rs" technique

About "not reading the posts if you don't like the topic", well if 70/90% of the topics on the "recent" list is trash, then it is really annoying to find and contribute to non tech related discussions about how to woo the girl of your dreams in a tech forum.

The off-topic forums are still there, but you still can't spam them (being off-topic for the sake of being off-topic in a thread is a sure fire way to earn yourself a warning, and nobody's going to help you with that).

• However, when somebody actually uses the search function and posts in the old thread, some members will bully that person for resurrecting it. And that's just ridiculous.

There's good and bad reasons for resurrecting the thread, a good reason involves asking for help (e.g. I have the same problem but...), Although it's still a better idea to make a new thread and include a link to the old one)

A bad reason is resurrecting the thread just to go "Yeah" or "I don't have that problem".

I think that removing non-tech posts from the "Recent Forum Posts" is a good idea. New visitors to Neowin will see the site for what it was truly intended to be.

I would think that many regular neo-addicts (like myself) would prefer to use the "New/Recent Posts" links (next to "My Controls") which still lists all topics from all sections. Or members can browse the forums by section.

It would be really nice if we could give the members some control over what new posts are listed but that may add too much complexity to the site.

I think that removing non-tech posts from the "Recent Forum Posts" is a good idea. New visitors to Neowin will see the site for what it was truly intended to be.

I would think that many regular neo-addicts (like myself) would prefer to use the "New/Recent Posts" links (next to "My Controls") which still lists all topics from all sections. Or members can browse the forums by section.

It would be really nice if we could give the members some control over what new posts are listed but that may add too much complexity to the site.

How about a compromise between new visitors and regular users of Neowin. When not logged in and as set standard when just registered just showing technology based forum threads. However for the people (including me) who wants to have an easy way to see new topics and posts could be able to choose wether you want to see all freshly updated threads (including non-tech related ones) or not.

A nice shiny button at the top would do the trick? :)

How about a compromise between new visitors and regular users of Neowin. When not logged in and as set standard when just registered just showing technology based forum threads. However for the people (including me) who wants to have an easy way to see new topics and posts could be able to choose wether you want to see all freshly updated threads (including non-tech related ones) or not.

A nice shiny button at the top would do the trick? :)

Why not just use this link?:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...;CODE=getactive

It's right up there next to "My Controls". I have my "Recent Forum Posts" headed disabled and I use that instead.

I just noticed that it has flood control. May I ask why?

Once upon a time it was considered resource intensive. It is probably less intensive than the "Recent Forum Posts" header.

There are not too many new threads that pop up within 30 seconds.

One thing i have noticed is that sometimes a mod will delete a thread you have made with out even trying to ask why you ment by the question you asked...they just interprit it their way..and don't care what you really ment when you PM them asking why it was deleted and you got warned.

You would think how long ittakes to knock off a warning that some mods would want to make sure that they are really warning you appropriately. I can name atleast 2 times where I have asked a perfectly legal question and been warned because the mods refused to listen to what I was really asking and interprited what I ment in a totaly different way.

You know, you keep going on and on about how you were victimised by staff on this site. Wake up, this thread is not about YOU.

Also, at the very top of this forum is the text:

Did you get a warning on your account?

You reserve the right to PM any Supervisor or Administrator regarding action taken against your account here at Neowin.

Please do not resort to complaining in your sig or here, we encourage members to contact staff that can handle the issue for you via PM.

Clear?

I used to (and Sometimes still do) come to Neowin everyday to see what's new in the HH. About a year ago i registered in order to start posting, but most of the topics don't interest me and/or I have nothing to contribute. I do like the style and overall atmosphere of notebookreview.com more nowadays. The notebook vendors (at least in the Asus forum) are always willing to give advice to uses, even though they may not have bought it from them. A recent example is of one Releasing a bios that fixed a cpu bug were the processor would only run at half speed on battery. I just don't see that type of relationship here.

no one is holding you back from canceling your account and finding a different place to post. I for one like the new measures, I think comments such as "i'd hit that/it" are immature and as stated before, objectify women as sex objects....grow up already.

Would it be feasible/possible to (for lack of a better word) "Bookmark" the various categories/sub categories that you wanted to view? Maybe in the "My Controls" page?

If you only wanted to see posts on Tech related subjects and not Jokes & Funny Stuff for example, thats all that would show up in the New/Active Posts.

That way everyone here can enjoy ONLY the areas they want to see. Is that even possible or would it cause more work for the Staff? I don't know how these msg. boards work. I was just throwing out an idea.

You know, you keep going on and on about how you were victimised by staff on this site. Wake up, this thread is not about YOU.

Also, at the very top of this forum is the text:

Clear?

An hour ago, I had a reply here. One that didn't have any personal attacks, warez, or anything else that posts typically get deleted around here. So disagreeing with a super is grounds for deleting a post now?