Macworld 2008

Well yes, the iPod Classic has a 160GB one :laugh:. Too bad I'd take a faster hdd than one with more space.

That's the one down fall of getting the MBA :( I wish I could afford the SSD.

I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase my first Mac tonight. The question is, MacBook Pro or iMac?

If you're seriously thinking of going with either, I'd wait until they are updated. I know no one knows when that will be, but it shouldn't be long.

MacRumors has the iMac and the MacBook Pro listed as Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle & Don't Buy - Updates soon * respectively.

There's no point in buying a brand new Mac for it to get updated in a week or two.

Well yes, the iPod Classic has a 160GB one :laugh:. Too bad I'd take a faster hdd than one with more space.

I'd rather have a good mix of both. 160GB @ 4200RPM is better than 80 @ 4200RPM IMO :)

I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase my first Mac tonight. The question is, MacBook Pro or iMac?

I love the new iMac. My school just got a lot of them, and they're great. My friend as a Macbook Pro and they're good too. IMO, go for the iMac unless you really need a laptop.

If you're seriously thinking of going with either, I'd wait until they are updated. I know no one knows when that will be, but it shouldn't be long.

MacRumors has the iMac and the MacBook Pro listed as Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle & Don't Buy - Updates soon * respectively.

There's no point in buying a brand new Mac for it to get updated in a week or two.

The thing is, I've been putting off for months waiting for the so called imminent MBP revision, so MacWorld was the last straw. I forsee a Pro revision in the coming months, introducing the Penryn chips and the multi-touch trackpad we now have in Air. I'd consider that an update worth waiting for.

The iMac on the other hand, I doubt will see a major overhaul for quite some time. A hardware refresh in the coming months is certainly possible, but the current hardware specs available more than match my needs. The design is here to stay.

What do you think an iMac update could bring to the table?

Why hold off? Changes are only ever incremental from a hardware perspective to be honest. You can still buy very powerful spec last shape iMacs (white) and they still hold their value too..

What do you think an iMac update could bring to the table?
I don't think there will be a major update to the iMac lineup, mostly just hardware upgrade (processor, memory, etc.). If you can't or don't want to wait, then I'd suggest getting the iMac, but if you can wait and want portability then wait for the MacBook Pro refresh.

I cancelled, I'm so indecisive.

Leaning towards a MBP now. Argh!

Decisions, decisions, decisions... so why did you decide to change your mind?

I think you'd be better off to wait to purchase a MBP. They should get a major upgrade soon, so if you're going that route, wait. That's just my two cents though.

Hopefully there's an unannounced MacBook Pro update. My credit card is all ready for a 17" MBP with the high-res BTO option. The only thing that's keeping me in limbo is a possible update........

Decisions, decisions, decisions... so why did you decide to change your mind?

I think you'd be better off to wait to purchase a MBP. They should get a major upgrade soon, so if you're going that route, wait. That's just my two cents though.

Portability. My 37" HD Samsung can act as a monitor when connected via HDMI.

The thing is, I've been waiting a lifetime. MacWorld has come and gone without the MBP I was hoping for, so I'm becoming quite desperate. My current Toshiba laptop is on it's last legs.

Does anyone saw the Steve Jobs mistake at 4:14 when he mentioned Tiger with Time Machine? I can't believe that he didn't figure it out that he called Tiger to Leopard :laugh:

Does anyone saw the Steve Jobs mistake at 4:14 when he mentioned Tiger with Time Machine? I can't believe that he didn't figure it out that he called Tiger to Leopard :laugh:

He made a few actually but corrected almost all. It keeps the humor alive.

Add me to the list of people ready and waiting for a Macbook Pro update. I'm so tempted to just buy one now, as i don't think it'll be a huge change. I would have preferred to just have bought the thing in October rather than wait months for a processor update.

Here's a thought. Everyone remembers the silent Mac Pro upgrade exactly a week before MacWorld, right? Well, maybe Jobs has decided to hold back a similar MBP announcement for this Tuesday (22/1), which allowed the newly unveiled MacBook Air to take centre stage at the keynote.

Just a thought, but it's certainly a possibility. After all, Intel have said Penryn will be ready Q1 2008.

Here's a thought. Everyone remembers the silent Mac Pro upgrade exactly a week before MacWorld, right? Well, maybe Jobs has decided to hold back a similar MBP announcement for this Tuesday (22/1), which allowed the newly unveiled MacBook Air to take centre stage at the keynote.

(what's so special about Tuesday?)

Nothing? I just think there's a slim chance that a hardware refresh may come a week after MacWorld, just like the Mac Pro week revision was a week before.

It's pure speculation.

Apple usually releases new/updated products on a Tuesday.

I have my first ever Mac! I bought a black MacBook :D

I'm at work right now, so I'll post my initial impressions when I'm home.

Nice one. :D