Macworld 2008

Mac air is where the Intel metro concept went to. Intel demoed a working model in may 2007 which was only 0.7 inch thick together with Vista to support the extra screen on the outside. This concept was to meant for other OEMS to build. Apple takes this concept, makes the design a bit more ugly IMHO, adds an extra 0.06 inch, loses some nice features like the extra screen and remote charging and calls it their innovation??? haha

Now that was the pie... for the cherry on top they annouced remote disc sharing as innovative ... :x have to stop before my lunch is served to me again.

You whinge but we didn't see anyone else producing one...

Macbook Air = Awesome but has a stupid name and the price is ridiculous.

iPod touch apps = Way to screw us over Steve.

SDK = Good.

AppleTV 2 = Sounds good but people will still clamour for DVR.

iTunes Store Movie Rentals = Good.

Time Capsule = Only way to properly backup to a wireless drive.

You whinge but we didn't see anyone else producing one...

Correct, probably there will be some later if apple tends to be selling them like sweet bread, but i'm guessing apple will be the one wearing the innovation crown.

But, now I ask...what the HELL are the iPhone development teams up to? A 162MB download yields a Maps update, multi-SMS, and Webclips!?

Apple isn't releasing patches to the firmware or the updated apps only. it's releasing the ENTIRE firmware at once. so you're downloading the ENTIRE iPhone/iPod Touch OS for each update

I won't even mention the fact that Maps is developed by Google and not by Apple!

the maps app is developed by Apple. it fetches data from Google - but the app itself is Apple's.

Interestingly the MacBook Air demonstrates what can be implimented into the MBP coming within a few months.

I really am shocked there was no MacBook or MacBook Pro update though. And also no Mac mini update. Had they done updates on those product lineups, I don't think the Keynote would have been as boring as it was. :( Oh well, what a waist IMO There were two interesting things there: MacBook Air and Time Capsule.

I really am shocked there was no MacBook or MacBook Pro update though. And also no Mac mini update. Had they done updates on those product lineups, I don't think the Keynote would have been as boring as it was. :( Oh well, what a waist IMO There were two interesting things there: MacBook Air and Time Capsule.

+1.

Thats what I was thinking...I mean....even to mention a update as small as the one for the ipod touch on a keynote...:(

iPod touch apps = Way to screw us over Steve.

By making you pay for them? Last time I checked, the iPod Touch was an MP3 player, and you got everything you wanted in it when you bought it. Saying he screwed you over cos he wants you to pay for optional extras..

By making you pay for them? Last time I checked, the iPod Touch was an MP3 player, and you got everything you wanted in it when you bought it. Saying he screwed you over cos he wants you to pay for optional extras..

No, I didn't get everything I wanted in it when I bought it. My old iPod nano had notes but the touch didn't. All of these apps should have been there from the start. Also, if you buy an iPod touch with 1.1.3 already installed you get the extra apps for a reduced price (8GB was AU$419 down to AU$399). A tad unfair to those of us that bought early (Please don't repeat Steve's line of "That's the way technology is").

so..

How soon can you buy a Touch of Amazon that will have the new Touch software?

I agree, if I had got one like this and was expected to be paid for a upgrade I be fuming, I can't believe what they will get out of it will offset the bad publicity

the ipod touch extras come free with new ipod touches shipping which have been reduced in price a bit, but people who payed more and bought it earlier have to pay even more to get free extras you get if you buy a new one... just odd i can't seem to find the logic behind that...so much for promises of SDK and 3rd party native apps - catch phrase "Pay only $20 per application and to upgrade to the ability to use these applications" they may aswell just say and do that for the popularity they think they are going to get from charging for updates

I would be livid if I had bought a touch and they did this. I was actually thinking of getting one in a couple of weeks, but if they are going to be pulling this kind of sh*t, then f**k 'em. I've hated Apple's business practices for a long time, but this has finally pushed me over the edge into a full boycott.

i think the Macbook Air looks damn nice and the introduction of a multi-toch track pad is a nice little Add-in you know but i am poor in some ways so i cant afford one but i must try and talk my Mother who lives a few miles away from me why she needs a new system cause she is on a 400mhz K6 chip system and i think the MacBook Air would be perfect for her

can someone clarify something for me.

From Apple site the "new" Ipod Touch is: ?269

1st Is this more or less expensive then before the update?

2. Amazon are selling New Touchs for: ?234.01 (with free case)

even if it didn't have the software update, you can buy the update and still save.

Am I missing something??????????

Another forgettable Macworld. And the $20 software update for the iPodTouch is pathetic, these are features it should have had from the start.

As for the MacBookAir, ok well it is thin and looks "cool" (apart from the black keyboard, what are they hiring Dell designers now?), but a laptop without an optical drive, Ethernet and only one USB port (zero if you need the SuperDrive add-on or USB->Ethernet tool plugged in all the time) is almost useless.

Ok, dilemma. I've decided against the MacBook Air. As slim and elegant as it is, I don't need an ultra portable.

How long will it be before we see a MBP revision? I don't know how much longer I can hold out, I need my first Mac!

Ive kept a fair distance from all things mac. I do admire them greatly but ive kept away. Rarely looking at a keynote unless its mentioned everywhere. but this time i streamed it and was curious about something.

Do Microsoft do this? By this I mean give a speech where they unveil many amazing ideas and products in one sitting?

All I get from MS is "Here's Vista, chew on that for a while, cya". There's no passion in it, there's no nothing. All that keynote did was make me want a Mac, which i guess it accomplished its purpose. When I think of Apple I think of the iPhone, iPod touch, iMacs, the music store, Apple TV. With MS all I think of is Vista and not very fond thoughts either. Its just a shame.

Its all in the Show, Apple is more media orientated in every aspect then MS.

MS, is a bit dull really, but I think for Apple and MS, this is both there greatest strengths and weaknesses

Steve Jobs probably is Moist Von Lipwig

Steve Jobs is a master salesman. He knows how to get your attention and then make you want the product. This is because of his unique ability to distort reality :p

overall i like the macbook air, and its something i'd buy down the road, possibly the next laptop i buy for myself.

But i will nitpick! When i got my ibook a couple of years back, it was everything i wanted it to be. I don't like the Air's black keyboard, and also the curves of the design, though it may make sense since its thickness varies from the front to back. I think they take away from the sleekness. Features/Hardware wise, its a logical next step, i hardly ever use a disc drive, let alone ethernet.

Not as much as I had hoped for to be shown at Macworld 2008. The Macbook Pro's were due for an update and there was nothing there, maybe they weren't ready I do not know. Intel may not have a good supply of 45nm processors, but do the Macbook Air's use them? Does not really say either way on the Air section of their site if they use the 65 or 45 chips, but the way the keynote sounded they had been developing it with the 65nm chips in mind and would have to change the Air chip some to use the 45nm die.

Apple didn't learn with the iPhone price reduction debacle and gave a much older Apple TV free upgrade over the much newer iPod Touch. $20? It is a bit steep, though I paid for, or at least I think I did. My iTunes account is setup to use paypal for payment and I bought the new Touch apps early today after upgrading iTunes to 7.6 and the Touch to 1.1.3 and then clicked the buy on the iTunes store for the apps, then synced the iPod like they said, and the apps appeared. I just checked my Paypal account which gets deducted automatically I believe (I have money in the account) and no activity at all for day, maybe I lucked out and got them for free...? :D