Macworld 2008

Those leaked ones were pretty close wern't they!

I'm very tempted by the Macbook Air. Yes, it's an expensive laptop, but you get what you pay for. How many other laptops look like that, how many other laptops are ~0.1" thick at the thinnest point?

Does anyone know the actual resolution of the screen though? (I'm guessing it's 1280x800, but I havent seen it anywhere).

Sorry for the ignorance, way too tired. Cheers mate, I've got to order one.

PS. Hurmoth, take some full detail pictures when you get the MBA. Please.

Edited by Couch Potato

apps for $20? in comparison, if this were a pc computer app (win/osx), $20 doesn't seem high, maybe even cheap, its only because most hanheld devices implement new features free of charge, that this price is, ridiculous?

I must say, if i had a touch, and there was no way of getting the apps other than paying apple, i'd gladly pay the $20, especially if it means more apps in the future. I don't think its a ripoff, i think its a bold move on their part.

apps for $20? in comparison, if this were a pc computer app (win/osx), $20 doesn't seem high, maybe even cheap, its only because most hanheld devices implement new features free of charge, that this price is, ridiculous?

I must say, if i had a touch, and there was no way of getting the apps other than paying apple, i'd gladly pay the $20, especially if it means more apps in the future. I don't think its a ripoff, i think its a bold move on their part.

One person earlier stated that people are already spending so much money on the iPod Touch, so what's $20? I counter that with people are already spending so much money on the iPod Touch, why pay more?

I bought my iPod Touch on Dec. 26 (it was 400 instead of 450 in Canada @ Future Shop), aka 20 days ago. My first plan was to get an iPhone, because it's the price of a 16GB iPod (what I had to buy because they didn't have the 8GB versions anymore), it has a bigger screen, an included dock, an integrated camera and all those applications, but since Canada blows, we don't have it yet. Our iPhones are like 600-650, this is unbelievable. So while iPhone users get these updates for free we, iPod users, have to pay an extra $20 to have these apps.

Sorry, all of this is wayyy over my head. When Apple charged for the use of their brand new 802.11n cards, they had a reason (...), but this time they went too far. At least if they had made the update costly on the iPhone too...

I bought my iPod Touch on Dec. 26 (it was 400 instead of 450 in Canada @ Future Shop), aka 20 days ago. My first plan was to get an iPhone, because it's the price of a 16GB iPod (what I had to buy because they didn't have the 8GB versions anymore), it has a bigger screen, an included dock, an integrated camera and all those applications, but since Canada blows, we don't have it yet. Our iPhones are like 600-650, this is unbelievable. So while iPhone users get these updates for free we, iPod users, have to pay an extra $20 to have these apps.

Sorry, all of this is wayyy over my head. When Apple charged for the use of their brand new 802.11n cards, they had a reason (...), but this time they went too far. At least if they had made the update costly on the iPhone too...

the iPhone and iPod touch uses the same size display it is just the iPod T is thinner and a bit smaller cause it dont have the internals for the Phone stuff

The $20 is really annoying, it's just a software update that brings stuff it should have had in the first place (e.g. Mail and Notes)

Missing features aren't optional extras, I can't see why Apple is charging for this update.

This was quoted by someone @ engadget.

Guys why are you all acting so surprised? Think about it, this was all planned from the start. Apple has plenty of things already to go for the iPod Touch, they just held them back and release things like this in "waves" and charge you for it. It is their way to suck more money from those that own one. Is it right? No. Is it legal? Yes. If enough people complain Apple will probably make things right, like what they did with the iPhone price reduction giving everyone $100 back in some form or another, but if you guys are really that surprised at Apple for charging $20 for this "update", then you really have your heads in the clouds. This is the way it is going and will continue, get as much money out of the consumer, not at one time, but stretched out over months/years in the form of updates.

This has been going on for quite some time now with regards to video games, such as with the XBOX 360, whereas you have to pay for "bonus content" after the game is released or items such as new clothing for your character, etc. Sure, some of the content is worth the $5 or $10 such as with the Oblivion add-on material, but most is not worth it (Halo 3 new maps) that you can simply get for free if you can wait it out a few months.

I was planning on getting the touch after the second generation ones were announced to see if they would be bigger and what other features, but now I am going to rethink pouring money into Apple if this is how they treat their customers. I feel for you guys who already own one and have to "pay $20" to get this new update. Apple will pull this crap again and again and if it turns out to be successful, other companies will take notice and start charging as well. You all thought Microsoft was evil, well then let me introduce you to evil's twin brother.

I think it's incredibly stupid that iPod touch users have to pay $20 for a simple firmware upgrade. If it uses the same software as the iPhone, then surely the update could have been provided for free?

How is that? What makes it look like crap to you?

Well there are certain features that should come built in. For one it doesn't have an optical drive plus no in built ethernet. PATA Drive just kills it. I know there is an option of SSD but i can care less for just 64GB drive plus you need to pay extra for it. Compared to Macbook Pro, it looks crap to me.

If you ordered it, its good for you and meets your requirements for me it doesn't work so yes imo its crap for me.

I like the Time Capsule and i will be ordering one as soon as they start selling in India to use it with my Vista and OSX

I think it's incredibly stupid that iPod touch users have to pay $20 for a simple firmware upgrade. If it uses the same software as the iPhone, then surely the update could have been provided for free?

I'd say the only reason they didn't charge iPhone users for the update is it would have caused a revolt. The update for the Apple TV was free because they really need as many users as possible. iPod Touch; well that's kicked off very well ? so well they could charge for software updates, and not so well that it'd cause any visible critique.

Honestly, I would buy a Macbook Air in a instant if not for three things:

1. The battery. That's just lame, I don't care if it is the same price as a battery and that it can be replaced. Give me the option, like every other notebook out there.

2. The hard drive. Seriously, 4200RPM and only 80GB of space? You can increase one or the other, Apple.

3. The price!

Well there are certain features that should come built in. For one it doesn't have an optical drive plus no in built ethernet. PATA Drive just kills it. I know there is an option of SSD but i can care less for just 64GB drive plus you need to pay extra for it. Compared to Macbook Pro, it looks crap to me.

If you ordered it, its good for you and meets your requirements for me it doesn't work so yes imo its crap for me.

I like the Time Capsule and i will be ordering one as soon as they start selling in India to use it with my Vista and OSX

The entire point of the MacBook Air (though I don't necessarily agree with it) is that it's designed to be as stripped down, simple and lightweight as possible. The people who will want to buy this product are the ones who really don't need an optical drive. If the Air had an optical drive and Ethernet, it'd be a contradiction of itself, as it would then be a standard MacBook.

Honestly, I would buy a Macbook Air in a instant if not for three things:

1. The battery. That's just lame, I don't care if it is the same price as a battery and that it can be replaced. Give me the option, like every other notebook out there.

2. The hard drive. Seriously, 4200RPM and only 80GB of space? You can increase one or the other, Apple.

3. The price!

One and two were design choices that Apple had to make in order to make it the size and weight that it is now. Do 1.8" HDDs even go to 5400RPM now?