PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

+Audioboxer
I have been having problems with Wifi/Server it works but for some reason the picture quality goes really bad at some points, I get alot of little squares on my plasma!

Your streaming then?

Side effects of streaming HD content. Rewind the video, and play the same scene again - Chances are it might not have any corruption second time.

zerolimit

all working 100% with wired network!

Stealthy_Singh

Forgive me if I'm completely missing something as I'm not a total noob! But has this solved the problem of having to transcode any 1080p files or not? I've got 2.05 and I'm trying to remux transformers 1080p and as far as I can see it's transcoding and it's been going for about 2.5 hours. Am I doing something wrong? As I said I've got a feeling it's transcoding at the moment rather than remuxing. We'll see. But I might have to give up soon as going to bed for work tomorrow and my rig is in my bedroom. Can't deal with the noise! It's pretty decent rig (Intel dual core 2.4GHz, 2 gig ram, rating of 5 last time i checked on vista ultimate 32 bit) so it shouldn't be too slow anyway.

+Audioboxer
Forgive me if I'm completely missing something as I'm not a total noob! But has this solved the problem of having to transcode any 1080p files or not? I've got 2.05 and I'm trying to remux transformers 1080p and as far as I can see it's transcoding and it's been going for about 2.5 hours. Am I doing something wrong? As I said I've got a feeling it's transcoding at the moment rather than remuxing. We'll see. But I might have to give up soon as going to bed for work tomorrow and my rig is in my bedroom. Can't deal with the noise! It's pretty decent rig (Intel dual core 2.4GHz, 2 gig ram, rating of 5 last time i checked on vista ultimate 32 bit) so it shouldn't be too slow anyway.

It is transcoding. Remuxing takes like a few mins to 5/6/7 mins depending on file size.

Very few 1080p movies can be remuxed.

Good news though for future movies is more 1080p movies now are being ripped in profile 4.1 instead of 5.1 which means they remux fine.

We can always hope a software breakthrough will also improve 1080p compatibility, it's not out of the question.

99.9% of 720p movies remux though, so really that is the best way to go. Unless you have a 46-50" + TV, 720p should be fine.

zerolimit

1080p movies take a couple of hours for me! but 720p movies are done in minutes! I have a 50inch so it makes a big difference!!!

Stealthy_Singh
It is transcoding. Remuxing takes like a few mins to 5/6/7 mins depending on file size.

Very few 1080p movies can be remuxed.

Good news though for future movies is more 1080p movies now are being ripped in profile 4.1 instead of 5.1 which means they remux fine.

We can always hope a software breakthrough will also improve 1080p compatibility, it's not out of the question.

99.9% of 720p movies remux though, so really that is the best way to go. Unless you have a 46-50" + TV, 720p should be fine.

Ah I see I read that before but then I thought I read something about mkv2vob changing the profile to 4.1 on the fly or something. I think I misunderstood it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Deaf Spacker

Forgive me if the issue has been raised but are there any problems with streaming a 720p film to my PS3 via windows sharing? I'm just interested why you've not included it as one of the options to play the film via a PS3.

Chimpanzee

Excellent guide. Thanks very much!

Please start work on the Remote Play bit as soon as you can? I just CANNOT get it working over the internet. Works fine through my home network though.

Looking forward to it :D

+Audioboxer
Excellent guide. Thanks very much!

Please start work on the Remote Play bit as soon as you can? I just CANNOT get it working over the internet. Works fine through my home network though.

Looking forward to it :D

I am.

Just had a busy week/weekend. I'll have the new guide done by this weekend, maybe sooner - Over next few days.

Chimpanzee
I am.

Just had a busy week/weekend. I'll have the new guide done by this weekend, maybe sooner - Over next few days.

Cheers!

popisdead uk
Forgive me if the issue has been raised but are there any problems with streaming a 720p film to my PS3 via windows sharing? I'm just interested why you've not included it as one of the options to play the film via a PS3.

Windows sharing (Windows Media Player 11) doesnt stream .vob files so it doesn't work.

Deaf Spacker

I'm trying to remux a file but it always transcodes instead, sometimes it says cannot parse mkv file! What am I doing wrong?

+Audioboxer
I'm trying to remux a file but it always transcodes instead, sometimes it says cannot parse mkv file! What am I doing wrong?

The program itself checks to see if the PS3 can handle the file, if not it transcodes.

What is the file though, a 720p movie? AC3/DTS audio?

If you're confident it should be remuxed, put never transcode on in the options.

Deaf Spacker
The program itself checks to see if the PS3 can handle the file, if not it transcodes.

What is the file though, a 720p movie? AC3/DTS audio?

If you're confident it should be remuxed, put never transcode on in the options.

I dunno what it is apart from a 720p movie, it was remuxed the first time fine. I tried to do it again with subtitles and from then on it transcodes :/

Edit: It has AC3 audio.

Edited by Lazy Tiger

zerolimit

let it finish sometimes it has to transcode. I have some 1080p movies and most of them transcode and 720p movies remux!

Deaf Spacker

I let it transcode, only took an hour. The subtitle option works great :D

humz

Okay, I have a load of VOB files but they are all bigger than 4GB. I cannot get TVersity to work and I really don't want to have to split my VOB files. How do I get >4GB files onto the PS3 hard drive? Are the any WMP plugins that allow you to stream/copy VOB files through the network? :wacko:

+Audioboxer

^

What problem are you having with TVersity?

Have you made sure "media servers" is enabled on your PS3?

TVersity is the only way I've been able to copy 4GB+ files to my PS3 aside from using a DL disc, but that's expensive.

There are other file servers out there though, WMP might even be able to do it?

Unfortunately I've not used anything other than Tversity, but some others on here might have. I'll also have a look on the web for you in the meantime.

Still, explain what is wrong in TVeristy, I might be able to help you get it working.

zerolimit

I use tversity also and have most of my files at 12gigs+ and they are work perfect... the only reason you would need them to be 4gigs is if you are going to use a external hd to stream your movies. Networking them wont be a problem at all! hope you get everything working.... my HD movies collection keeps growing by the minute! you rock Audioboxer!

+Audioboxer
I use tversity also and have most of my files at 12gigs+ and they are work perfect... the only reason you would need them to be 4gigs is if you are going to use a external hd to stream your movies. Networking them wont be a problem at all! hope you get everything working.... my HD movies collection keeps growing by the minute! you rock Audioboxer!

Do you stream the 12gb files? Or copy them to your PS3 hard drive?

If you're streaming, you must be on a "wired" connection :p

zerolimit

WIRED ofcourse wireless kills me on these files... only files i can do wireless is divx with no problem but 720p files lag sometimes!

+Audioboxer

Another worthwhile updated! :)

With the ability to transcode to x264 it MIGHT mean 1080p files won't be 2x the size on completion - Can someone who has a 1080p movie test this for me?

Previously 1080p movies were transcoded to MPG which was why they were twice the size.

V2.1.0 5/Mar/2008

Added XviD and x264 transcoding options.

Fixed wrong center/right channel order in AAC conversion.

Fixed some subtitle letters in latin character set incorrectly rendered (French, Spanish, etc...).

Fixed incorrect rendering of Chinese and Arabic characters.

Fixed out of sync on files mixed with NTSC video and PAL audio (untested, someone send me a sample if it doesnt work).

Work around tsmuxer bug with comma in file or directory name (causes Muxing Failed error).

Various other small code changes I forgot.

I knew this update was coming, so I'll now update my guide :)

Edited by Audioboxer

zerolimit

I have some 1080p files and since the new update files have been good! Files have not been twice the size! They staty at 14gigs or so. Same file size! So its all good! What does Xvid option for? Xvid files to vob?

matthewmarley

Sorry to go off topic guys but i cant get wmv files playing through tversity can anyone let me know how this is done ? i use mkv2vob and that works perfectly and allows me to stream my mkv's.

zerolimit

If you are using WMV-HD you are out of luck buddy! they wont work trust me i've tried! PS3 doesn't really like WMV files for some reason it supports them but not alot! I would recomend just sticking with VOB files! Good luck buddy!

• Andrew featured and unpinned this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chandrakant
      Sony enables PlayStation 5 SSD upgrades via M.2 slot for beta testers
      by Chandrakant Isi

Sony's PlayStation 5 shipped with a dormant M.2 expansion slot. Months after the launch, the Japanese company is now opening up the M.2 slot to beta testers. Those who like to tinker with their gaming console can boost its internal storage by adding an SSD. If you would like to give it a shot, Sony has provided an elaborate guide with some software and hardware requirements.

For starters, PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSDs with capacity ranging from 250 GB to 4 TB are advised to be used with Sony's console. The recommended sequential read speed is 5,500MB/s or faster. More importantly, you can't simply stick any SSD into the PS5. Sony requires it to feature an effective heat dissipation system. You can either go with an SSD with a built-in cooling system or buy an aftermarket cooling solution and add it yourself. However, you will have to ensure the SSD module size including the heatsink element should be less than 110 mm (L) x 25 mm (W) x 11.25 mm (H).

If all this hasn't deterred you from going ahead with the storage expansion process, it is time to ensure your system software is compatible with this feature. At this point, only the beta firmware supports the M.2 slot. So first, head over to this link to register for the PS5 beta program. It is only open for gamers in the US, Canada, Japan, UK, Germany, and France. If you are lucky enough to get selected for the beta program, the next step is to install the beta system software from Settings > System > System Software > System Software Update and Settings.

Once you have the software ready, the next part requires you to pop open your expensive PS5, which is quite hard to come by due to the global chip shortage. Hence, we recommend heading over to PlayStation.com and carefully follow the steps provided by the manufacturer.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Sony has now sold 10 million PlayStation 5 consoles
      by Usama Jawad

Yesterday, Microsoft reported revenue for the fourth quarter of its 2021 fiscal year. While the company didn't reveal exact sales figures, it did highlight that gaming revenue grew by 11% (7% in Constant Currency (CC)), with hardware revenues increasing by 172% YoY (163% in CC), making the latest Xbox devices the fastest-selling consoles in the Redmond giant's history. Today, Sony has disclosed some sales figures for its PlayStation 5 consoles as well.

Sony officially unveiled the pricing for its PlayStation 5 consoles in September 2020, and the machines were made available for purchase in November 2020. Due to strong demand, global chip shortages, and scalpers, the company has struggled to supply retailers with units.

However, Reuters now reports that Sony has confirmed to it via email that 10 million PlayStation 5 units have been sold as of July 18, 2021. For reference, it took Sony nine months to sell the same number of PlayStation 4 consoles, which makes the PS5 the company's fastest-selling console lineup in history as well.

Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan also admitted that the firm is facing difficulties in keeping up with the demand, saying that:

Sony also revealed that it has sold 6.5 million copies of Spider-Man: Miles Morales, though it is important to remember that the title is cross-generation. While Microsoft didn't disclose the number of Xbox units sold, Niko Partners' Senior Analyst Daniel Ahmad estimates that a total of 6.5 million Xbox Series X and Series S consoles had been sold as of June 30, 2021. The consoles were made available for purchase on November 10, a few days earlier than the PlayStation 5.

Source: Sony via Reuters

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.8.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 10.8.0 changelog:

General:

Added youtube-dl engine which fixes support for YouTube channel feeds Added automatic names for web feeds in the user interface, and the ability to add/edit manual names for web streams Added sample web radio stream Added support for pasting YouTube channels directly, instead of needing the feed URLs Improved performance and logging for unmonitored files Fixed several web content user interface bugs Fixed sample web feeds and streams not being loaded on macOS Fixed broken sample web feeds Fixed/updated readme links Fixed web bump interface Fixed broken thumbnail caching on macOS Fixed support for mp3 radio streams on the web interface Fixed support for radio streams without thumbnails on the web interface Translation updates via Crowdin:

Danish (100%) (thanks, NCAA!) English (United Kingdom) (36%) (thanks, Pete Russell!) Finnish (100%) (thanks, Esko Gardner!) Italian (99%) (thanks, Dimitri Graffi!) Korean (100%) (thanks, VenusGirl!) Portuguese (99%) (thanks, mariopinto!) Portuguese (Brazilian) (96%) (thanks, Mauro.A!) Turkish (100%) (thanks, Burak Yavuz!) Dependencies:

Bump commons-io from 2.10.0 to 2.11.0 Bump FFmpeg to latest Git versions Bump logback-version from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4 Bump oshi-core from 5.7.5 to 5.8.0 Bump rome from 1.15.0 to 1.16.0 Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.2.3 to 4.3.0 Bump Video.js from 7.10.1 to 7.13.3 Download: Universal Media Server 10.8.0 | 161.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.7.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 10.7.0 changelog:

General:

Improved detection of movies and anime episodes Increased default max memory on Windows machines with 8+ GB RAM Removed filename from entries inside the TRANSCODE folder Fixed upnp:class in UPnP search results (thanks, ik666!) Fixed the "Reset the cache" button not resetting API metadata too Fixed failed database upgrade for fully played statuses Fixed FFmpeg crash Fixed marking a directory as fully played not changing cached thumbnails Renderers:

Improved support for VLC on iPhone Translation updates via Crowdin:

Czech (100%) Danish (100%) (thanks, NCAA!) Finnish (100%) (thanks, Esko Gardner!) French (100%) (thanks, Archaos!) Hungarian (94%) (thanks, Zatamon!) Korean (100%) (thanks, VenusGirl!) Polish (100%) (thanks, Karol Szastok!) Portuguese (99%) (thanks, mariopinto!) Portuguese (Brazilian) (96%) (thanks, Mauro.A!) Romanian (100%) (thanks, FlorinT!) Russian (89%) (thanks, Dmitry Lavrentev!) Turkish (100%) (thanks, Burak Yavuz!) Dependencies:

Bump assertj-core from 3.19.0 to 3.20.2 Bump checkstyle from 8.43 to 8.44 Bump commons-io from 2.9.0 to 2.10.0 Bump doxia-module-docbook-simple from 1.9.1 to 1.10 Bump git-commit-id-plugin from 4.0.4 to 4.0.5 Bump jaudiotagger from 2.2.5 to 2.2.7 Bump maven-idea-plugin from 2.2.1 to 2.3-atlassian-10 Bump oshi-core from 5.7.4 to 5.7.5 Download: Universal Media Server 10.7.0 | 153.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By LoneWolfSL
      Sony has acquired the PC porting specialized studio Nixxes
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Only days after Sony Interactive Entertainment announced it was welcoming Housemarque to PlayStation Studios, it has revealed another studio acquisition, this time bringing in the Netherlands-based developer Nixxes Software. Since its inception in the late 90s, the company has focused solely on providing support for other studios, often porting games to more platforms.

Until now, Nixxes has only given support to Square Enix-published games, developing the PC ports. The work range from classics like Legacy of Cain to most recently Marvel's Avengers. It has also helped with Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider games, both new and old lineups, as well as Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex series.

"I highly respect Nixxes and am excited for this very experienced team to become part of the world-class development community at SIE," PlayStation Studios head Hermen Hulst said regarding the latest acquisition. "They have a passion for improving games and for delivering the best possible experience for gamers. Nixxes will be a strong asset for everyone across PlayStation Studios, helping our teams focus on their most important goal, which is to create unique PlayStation content at the best possible quality.”

Adding to that, Nixxes founder and senior director Jurjen Katsman said:

Much like previous acquisitions of Sony, details surrounding the deal, such as pricing, have not been made public.

It is an interesting pick up for Sony. Considering Nixxes' experience with porting, the studio may serve as the company's go-to place for bringing over more PlayStation exclusives to PC — something Sony is now more focused on — without having to divert too much manpower from the original developer.