PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

Huleboeren
I'll keep alookout on the original (Dutch) GOTsent topic for you Audioboxer, as I'm also active on that forum

Also, on a side note; if you are a mac user and you're using Mac OS X's native filesystem (HFS) on an external drive, it should also work on your PS3 AND allow files larger than 4GB - note: as far as I know, this is still not something to solve the mp4 4GB issue

Are you sure?

I thought only the X360 supported the HFS filesystem

Keito
Are you sure?

I thought only the X360 supported the HFS filesystem

I couldn't test it as I do not have a mac, nor do I have friends with a mac and PC, it's just what I've heard a couple of times now - yet, I could be wrong
sn00pie

great guide audio! props to you for helping me out with all this stuff a few weeks ago. :yes:

rand0m.bullet

+1 vote for sticky

L3thal

I used GOTsent to encode the mkv movie file to an MP4 as it states but instead it split the movie into 2 mkv files, 2.4gb each :unsure:

What happened to the MP4?

+Audioboxer
I used GOTsent to encode the mkv movie file to an MP4 as it states but instead it split the movie into 2 mkv files, 2.4gb each :unsure:

What happened to the MP4?

Pretty positive that will be a codec issue, you're missing something required to carry out the whole process and are therefore being left with incomplete files. GOTSent is the front end only, it's not an all-in-1-package.

To play it safe, as I said I'd install CCCP - http://www.cccp-project.net/ - It requires what is needed, with things such as Haali Media Splitter (HD codec).

For all those people on their high horses of "CODEC PACKS DAMAGE YOUR PC!!!" come down to reality. CCCP if you read up on it, was made to be lightweight, and require all that's needed to play/watch HD content on your PC. It doesn't install multiple codecs and doesn't interfere with anything.

If you don't want to use it still, I'll dig deeper into specific codecs that are required.

AC3Filter - http://ac3filter.net/ - Is also needed as well if you aren't using the nero AAC codec.

Out of interest as well, http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/, download MediaInfo, and drag and drop your mkv onto it to see what video/audio codec it is using - Just to see if it's anything unusal, not found in a standard MKV rip.

Keito

Sentry23, the guy who is making GOTsent, is currently checking out possibilities to transcode files to mpeg2 to get subs working - picture quality suffers from this and it'll surely take more time, but if you're really keen on subs - as a lot of people are over at his regular forum - it's maybe a compromise worth making.

edit; he's also figuring out if it's possible to alter the frame rate, because apparently some people using Xbox360's complain about judder/jitter in the images when viewing stuff in 50Hz

+Audioboxer
Sentry23, the guy who is making GOTsent, is currently checking out possibilities to transcode files to mpeg2 to get subs working - picture quality suffers from this and it'll surely take more time, but if you're really keen on subs - as a lot of people are over at his regular forum - it's maybe a compromise worth making.

edit; he's also figuring out if it's possible to alter the frame rate, because apparently some people using Xbox360's complain about judder/jitter in the images when viewing stuff in 50Hz

(Y) for subtitles, but definitely only if you need em.

MPEG2 will take up muuuuch more space as well as the obvious drop in quality from transcoding.

Keito

TBH - I can only care subtitlewise for my Anime to work, however, support is never going to be something which resembles the stuff that can be done on a PC, with the karaoke's, panning/tilting text etc. If it's going to come, it'll be the same as on DVDs etc. where you basically have "raw" text at the bottom. Long story short; I won't be using any new transcode functions to get subtitles working, but oh well :p if it there it's going to please at least some people

L3thal
Pretty positive that will be a codec issue, you're missing something required to carry out the whole process and are therefore being left with incomplete files. GOTSent is the front end only, it's not an all-in-1-package.

To play it safe, as I said I'd install CCCP - http://www.cccp-project.net/ - It requires what is needed, with things such as Haali Media Splitter (HD codec).

For all those people on their high horses of "CODEC PACKS DAMAGE YOUR PC!!!" come down to reality. CCCP if you read up on it, was made to be lightweight, and require all that's needed to play/watch HD content on your PC. It doesn't install multiple codecs and doesn't interfere with anything.

If you don't want to use it still, I'll dig deeper into specific codecs that are required.

AC3Filter - http://ac3filter.net/ - Is also needed as well if you aren't using the nero AAC codec.

Out of interest as well, http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/, download MediaInfo, and drag and drop your mkv onto it to see what video/audio codec it is using - Just to see if it's anything unusal, not found in a standard MKV rip.

Thanks! I didn't have CCCP installed and now that I installed it, it works perfectly.

Keito

GOTsent Beta-9 Pre-release

Now includes Playable on PS3/360 detection, subs are disabled. Some form of mpeg2 conversion is in there, yet it doesn't work for 360 yet

Download here, but use with care - it's a pre-release of a beta...

Also; Sentry23 announced he's now collaborating with Ditlew - apparently someone with a name in the PSP scene (I do not own one, so I wouldn't know) - they're working on a better h264 detection/implementation, which apparently is almost finished and should make beta10 or beta9, however the former is more likely.

edit; we should really get this topic stickied

+Audioboxer
GOTsent Beta-9 Pre-release

Now includes Playable on PS3/360 detection, subs are disabled. Some form of mpeg2 conversion is in there, yet it doesn't work for 360 yet

Download here, but use with care - it's a pre-release of a beta...

Also; Sentry23 announced he's now collaborating with Ditlew - apparently someone with a name in the PSP scene (I do not own one, so I wouldn't know) - they're working on a better h264 detection/implementation, which apparently is almost finished and should make beta10 or beta9, however the former is more likely.

edit; we should really get this topic stickied

(Y)

I'll update my guide for Beta 9 once it's actually out and all the new features are in/confirmed working.

Waylander

transcoding is a ballache if you ask me i dont see why people are so interested in playing everything on there ps3, something like the Popcorn Hour makes more sense to me if you dont want to use a pc, it has native mkv support and can read subtitles from mkv as well.

Huleboeren
transcoding is a ballache if you ask me i dont see why people are so interested in playing everything on there ps3, something like the Popcorn Hour makes more sense to me if you dont want to use a pc, it has native mkv support and can read subtitles from mkv as well.

I dont have the room for a gazillion boxes that just do one thing each - I want ONE device to handle them all :)

My friend was trying out his friends Popcorn Hour, he says the software seemed a bit buggy..

Perhaps in the future I will invest in one if custom firmware hasnt struck the PS3 by that tiem :D

Ianwoollam

Thanks for this guide! Never heard of any of these programs and was going to just wait for MKV support! Quick note btw GOTSent won't convert an AC3 Audio track in Vista x64 if you don't tick Safe Sync :) For some reason if you don't it just says conversion done with no output file.

However I must admit I struggled getting MKV2VOB to work, for some reason it outputted the Audio fine to the VOB file but there was no video :o But GOTSent works anyway so its all good in the end ;)

Piggy

I just became even more satisfied with my PS3.

I'm playing my MKV files with just streaming! :D

All I did was install a codec pack, change a few settings and install tversity and stream over my network.

I'm so damn happy with this now.

Oh the guide is here btw:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=8063

Scroll down to method B.

+Audioboxer
Thanks for this guide! Never heard of any of these programs and was going to just wait for MKV support! Quick note btw GOTSent won't convert an AC3 Audio track in Vista x64 if you don't tick Safe Sync :) For some reason if you don't it just says conversion done with no output file.

However I must admit I struggled getting MKV2VOB to work, for some reason it outputted the Audio fine to the VOB file but there was no video :o But GOTSent works anyway so its all good in the end ;)

Sounds like a codec issue to me, what codec pack/codecs do you have installed?

I just became even more satisfied with my PS3.

I'm playing my MKV files with just streaming! :D

All I did was install a codec pack, change a few settings and install tversity and stream over my network.

I'm so damn happy with this now.

Oh the guide is here btw:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=8063

Scroll down to method B.

I didn't cover this in my guide, but im happy you have it working :)

Quickest method to view, but you do lose video/audio quality with the transcoding. Plus you need a very decent PC to handle on the fly transcoding (Y)

Malbojia

Just a quick word on Tversity with the K-Lite codec pack. Even though subtitles are check in ffdshow to load sas/ass/srt also embedded. Once you start the file on the ps3 go back to your computer right click on the tray icon and click on the subtitles.

Kill off the transcoding job. Go back to the PS3 and restart the same file. Subtitles should properly appear now on the transcoding computer.

Keito

GOTSent 0.23 Beta 9

Download here

• Lots of fixes (mainly audio and detection)
  • Playable on PS3/360 detectie (Thanks to Ditlew)
  • mpeg2 fallback encoding (PS3/360) note; might take long
  • Subs are off temporarily due to detection issues
  • command line encoding: Gotsent-version-.exe [filename\foldername] (converts all files in directory, to temp dir)
  • Aspect ratio will be corrected for mp4 files where pixel resolution doesn't match display resolution

Apparently there's more but Sentry23 didn't finish his changelog cause he needed some whiskey (his words)

Fubar

just so you guys know , the latest build of mkv2vob has added fast forward and rewind support :)

V1.5.2 28/Jan/2008

Fixed bug with long filenames with DTS give "Error creating AC3 from WAV!"

DTS now recompresses to higher 640bit quality instead of 384bit.

V1.5.1 27/Jan/2008

Fixed muxing bug, 1.5 was completely non-functional sorry.

V1.5 27/Jan/2008

Added Fast forward/rewind support

this is now by far the better option :)

+Audioboxer
just so you guys know , the latest build of mkv2vob has added fast forward and rewind support :)

V1.5.2 28/Jan/2008

Fixed bug with long filenames with DTS give "Error creating AC3 from WAV!"

DTS now recompresses to higher 640bit quality instead of 384bit.

V1.5.1 27/Jan/2008

Fixed muxing bug, 1.5 was completely non-functional sorry.

V1.5 27/Jan/2008

Added Fast forward/rewind support

this is now by far the better option :)

Woah :|

How did he manage it?

I'll update the whole guide soon :yes:

:D

Fubar

no idea but i just checked it and its works :) glad he managed it :)

+Audioboxer
no idea but i just checked it and its works :) glad he managed it :)

Yup :)

I'm in the process of reconverting all my movies now!

(It seems ff/rw has been made possible by using tsMuxer, which is a new application added to MKV2VOB)

Everyone should get 1.52 immediately. I have also noticed a 720p movie I had that I couldn't get working no matter what (MKV2VOB and GOTSent both failed) now works (Y)

Edited by Audioboxer
Huleboeren

Cant wait to try this - please let the next thing be non-hardcoded subtitles support :D

How come this thread hasnt been pinned yet? :( someone should PM DirtyLarry(?)

• Andrew featured and unpinned this topic