PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

+Audioboxer
Cant wait to try this - please let the next thing be non-hardcoded subtitles support :D

How come this thread hasnt been pinned yet? :( someone should PM DirtyLarry(?)

Just a little update, it works great!

All my movies now pause/play/resume and ff/rw absolutely perfectly :woot:

Just a shame 1080p non-transcoding support is soo sketchy (5-15% of 1080p files will work it's guessed) else this would be the ultimate solution (all 1080p videos will work with transcoding, but that equals a loss in quality and a much larger file output).

Huleboeren

Audioboxer, can you ask 3r1c why the movie has to go through the temp folder on C: first? :p

Im always running out of space in the middle of a remux/transcode/whatever-it-is-called :(

Movie input is on drive D:

Movie output is on drive D:

But it has to go through C: for some reason :/

Very stupid :p

+Audioboxer
Audioboxer, can you ask 3r1c why the movie has to go through the temp folder on C: first? :p

Im always running out of space in the middle of a remux/transcode/whatever-it-is-called :(

Movie input is on drive D:

Movie output is on drive D:

But it has to go through C: for some reason :/

Very stupid :p

Yeah it drives me nuts at times :p

I'll ask him next time the forums are up - Offline just now.

+Audioboxer

There seems to be a small bug with MKV2VOB and handling MKV files with DTS audio (MKV files usually come with 5.1 AC3 audio, but some come with DTS audio).

What happens is every so often the video playback speeds up for 5 or so seconds, but the audio plays at normal speed - After the speed up on the video (playback back to normal speed), everything is still in sync.

I made 3r1c aware of the issue and am awaiting feedback.

Huleboeren

I just saw a movie which had DTS originally - I noticed no speedups visually -

Perhaps your computer was just very busy it messed up the 'encode'?

Oh, and did you ask regarding why it has to go through C: ? :D

+Audioboxer
I just saw a movie which had DTS originally - I noticed no speedups visually -

Perhaps your computer was just very busy it messed up the 'encode'?

Oh, and did you ask regarding why it has to go through C: ? :D

There is a solution in here somewhere (36 pages) :laugh:

Originally Posted by x400

i figured out my problem, i was running out of hard drive space..

but my problem now is.... the program is using my C:\ to place the temporary files into (like the audio streams etc)

but my c:\ is packed... i was hoping it would use the drive im saving to to place all those temp files into D:\ since that has 50gbs of free space

anyway in telling it where to put the temp files??

read up this thread there is a post that I made on how to do this.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1095...p;postcount=701

The replier put down the ole smart ass comment of my answer is in the topic somewhere - Yeah mate can't wait to sift through 36 pages to find it ;)

As for DTS someone else said they had the problem as well :/ I do nothing on my PC when it is converting, and every non DTS movie works fine... strange.

Piggy

I just tested the latest mkv2vob..

Works flawlessly. Pretty simple too. Select mvk file, name output and click save. Wait about 2 minutes and it's done. :D

+StevoFC
I just tested the latest mkv2vob..

Works flawlessly. Pretty simple too. Select mvk file, name output and click save. Wait about 2 minutes and it's done. :D

depends on the filesize. I've had full movies take close to 20 minutes for a file that is almost 5gb.

Piggy

Yeah heh for sure. The file was 1,153,595,606 bytes

After it was converted it ended up being around: 1,229,180,928 bytes.

About 76 mbs added.. not too bad really. :yes:

+Audioboxer

By the way I fixed my DTS issues with GOTSent!

Beta 10 now uses tsMuxer which is the new app that appeared that allowed MKV2VOB to have ff/rw support.

I used the "mux to vob" output in GOTSent with my MKV and it produces a MPG file for whatever reason, but it works!

(even although it is an MPG container, it is not transcoding)

Edited by Audioboxer
Fubar

V1.5.3 03/Feb/2008

Improved MPEG2 Transcoding, should fix freeze at the start and out of sync.

Updated tsmuxer to latest version

latest one out lol

Tikimotel

I use Twonkymedia to stream HD mp4 files to my PS3.

(you can use it free for 30days, if you want to install on a normal low-end PC.)

Twonky came with my QNAP TS-109Pro NAS HDD.

It works like a charm.

Sam

When I tried MKV2VOB it wouldn't convert the AAC audio. GOTSent worked fine (It was AAC encoded with the nero encoder on highest bitrate).

Corris

Nice guide audio, well put together, though I don't have any MKV's that I need converting to test it, I'll assume form the happy people in this topic it works perfectly fine.

But here's my question, any idea what to do with .OGM files?

zerolimit

for some reason TVersity is not showing up on my PS3 but Windows Media shows up any idea guys?

zerolimit

I also have some WMV-HD and they dont work with Tversity! any idea why it doesn't work? I have WMV enabled thanks! in advance

williamhook

Are you using Vista? TVersity doesn't work with it yet.

Secondly, are you using a firewall? You'll have to allow it to pass through.

Hope that helps. :D

Huleboeren

The support for WMV-HD is very poor on the PS3 - I think thats your problem :p

zerolimit

TVERSITY works with vista no problem at all! I also use the mkvtovob and it hangs on certain parts and thats it doesn't move from were it was any ideas? this is for mkv to vob thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
ynnoj

Does the PS3 natively support .mkv playback without streaming?

I'm not sure whether any streaming software is available for OS X.

+Audioboxer
Does the PS3 natively support .mkv playback without streaming?

Nope, that is the point in the guide.

MKV is only a container - That is why chances of it being natively supported are low unless MKV starts to get used for more "legal" things.

The important thing is h264 (HD Video codec), and AC3/AAC (HD audio codec(s)) are natively supported on the PS3 - These are what are inside an MKV file.

This allows us to extract the video/audio from an MKV file, and repackage it in a supported PS3 container such as VOB/MP4/MPG - This is what the guide does.

Because we are only repackaging NO Video/Audio quality is lost.

Transcoding on the otherhand involves changing not only the container, but converting the h264 codec and usually the audio codec as well, into MPEG2 and MP3/Other audio codec - This drops quality and increases file size, as MPEG2 is NOT as effecient as h264.

As for the guide, ive made some changes to reflect new version of GOTSent/MKV2VOB and im working on a PSP section (remote play) - Still not fully updated, but just a heads up im on it!

zerolimit

I have some 1080p videos on mkv and they are at 13 gigs! Now when i run them through mkvtovob it makes it a 25gb file! also in some parts it skips (fastfowards) a little any idea why it does that? Thanks

crazzyyfool

There are few available. MediaLink, EyeConnect, TwonkyMedia.

Are the applcations used to repackage available on OS X?

Try MoKgVm2DVD or VisualHub. Neither free though.

+Audioboxer
I have some 1080p videos on mkv and they are at 13 gigs! Now when i run them through mkvtovob it makes it a 25gb file! also in some parts it skips (fastfowards) a little any idea why it does that? Thanks

The reason it's 25GB is because it has been transcoded to MPEG2. MPEG compression is much worse than h264.

As I said in the guide the majority of current 1080p files cannot be remuxed like 720p files - They are ripped with profile 5.1 and the PS3 only supports up to profile 4.1.

As for the skipping, im not sure, you using the latest MKV2VOB? 1.5.3? It fixes issues with transcoding.

What size is your TV set? I have a 40" 1080p TV, and I stick with 720p and it looks great. 1080p while nice, is harder to get working right now, and takes up more space/is more demanding to stream.

You probably wouldn't see that much of a difference.

That being said, more 1080p movies are being ripped at profile 4.1 nowadays which means MKV2VOB would be able to remux them in the same way it does 720p. Also if the PS3 ever supports 5.1 or the people who make these applications find a way to do 1080p regardless of profiling, then 1080p rips will take priority if your TV set supports 1080p.

• Andrew featured and unpinned this topic