Forthcoming changes on Bans & Moderations

p858snake
i've been a bad boy, lol. when does the 'warn rating' go away though ?

6 Months from the last time you got a warning (or reduction, whatever was last).

what

This should be interesting. Hopefully it'll teach people that if you try to screw the system, the system will only screw you.

Steven P.
I got a warn for calling someone an idiot once.. But you're an admin, so I guess it shows the corruption inherent in the system. I'm just kidding of course, you're awesome Neobond. :)

You are right, I get away with a lot more because it's my own community. In this case I am just sad that certain people register themselves here and then make themselves look stupid, it isn't why I started Neowin and it is absolutely not the reason I still maintain it.

For the past 7 years I like to think of myself for being as diplomatic with this community as possible, but sometimes just like our long serving members, we screw up and like I already explained we realize this and can look past it most of the time. As an admin believe me, there are things I feel like doing or posting sometimes and it simply can't be done (by me) like evo-spook reminded us all of my rant about spamming. It's my community and even I can't do whatever the hell I want!

Some people don't seem to realize this though, which is a shame.

Green_Eye

I don't have much to say about this other then I absolutely agree with the Neobond and that he has every time made the right decision by us so far so Kudos to you mate (Y)

one thing bugging me is what is happening to Audioboxer and his threads, it truly is pathetic because every discussion which he takes part in he only speaks with great knowledge and well formulated opinion now obviously that may be too much for some not so smart lowlife so they go out and rate every one of his threads 1 star without no merit?

If you hang out in GH as much as I do then you would realise how valuable he is to this community and it really is a shame people would stoop as low as to rate every single thread one star just out of spite :crazy:

Do keep posting mate because I for one am just as annoyed as you are...

note: I did not read the whole thread just wanted to place my input based on Audiboxer's experience

evo_spook
one thing bugging me is what is happening to Audioboxer and his threads, it truly is pathetic because every discussion which he takes part in he only speaks with great knowledge and well formulated opinion now obviously that may be too much for some not so smart lowlife so they go out and rate every one of his threads 1 star without no merit?

Never really noticed the Star system. Surly how good your post is how many people are finding it a valuable discussion inside the tread, this cannot be changed and isn't at the whim of a few people with differing opinions.

Lee G.

Good move (Y)

Steven P.

I guess the worst thing about the ratings system is that we can't see who rated what, so we can't see which member is constantly voting Audioboxers threads 1 star. Maybe it's possible at db level, I'll ask Davelegg.

Green_Eye

Thanks Neobond and I guess its all fine and well that he could ignore it but I see Neowin as the most mature and friendly forum I have ever been a part of and Audio really shouldn't have to deal with that kinda stuff even if he can ignore it :/

Farstrider

The problem inherent in a rating system is that it is subjective and how can you censure someone for giving you a crap rating?

Steven P.
The problem inherent in a rating system is that it is subjective and how can you censure someone for giving you a crap rating?

I'd probably just ask why the person feels everything Audioboxer posts is worth 1 star to him?

Green_Eye

Its quite futile to debate about this because as is evident Audioboxer gets singled out therefore if we saw who was doing all the ratings for his threads a pattern would come to light and the person responsible have his rating rights taken away.

+NJ Louch

Yes, but you can always look at a trend. You could argue that needless and non contributory rating is either trolling or spam?

evo_spook

On Osnews they used to have a rating system dependent on how may + votes had gained yourself, plus you was only able to vote up/down a post once

cork1958
Well, sometimes a warning is unfair. I was unjustly accused and got a warning after being here for an insane amount of years.

I'm at a 20% warn because a new mod didn't know what sarcasm was. It's unfortunate. I mean, you actually think I'm intentionally making trouble after being a member for so long? I don't think so. It was just a misunderstanding.

Ditto.

First thing to do is get rid of the power mad mods!!

Wannes

Why would you be subjective in a rating system? You can be but you don't have to be. I, for one, rate threads based on the content and not because of the author.

Ditto.

Seriously, I don't understand. So many people are complaining about the moderators not doing their jobs how they should but so many more people never complain. I won't say they do everything right but I've known a few moderators before such as Keldyn, Toxikk, BOOGsoftball, Luis ([saint dark], sanctified) and I never had any complaints about their actions nor about those of moderators I don't know.

Stick to the rules, make it a fun time and you should be fine. Warnings are not given because it's fun, warnings are given because they're necessary. Once again, if you think you received one on a unfair way contact a supervisor.

Edited by Couch Potato
randomnut

I would like a clearly explained and publicly visible way to complain about staff on here. I know of one mod for example that has clearly demonstrated time and time again, not only to myself but also with pretty much anyone else on there he's come into contact with that he has a clear inability to to a proper job. The particular mod basically just flexes his mod powers for absolutely no reason, i'd go so far as to bet 98% of all his suspensions, thread deletes/closes would not have been done by most of the other staff here.

If our warn levels are to become public, then we need clear way to complain against those who raise it for *no* good reason except a blatant ego trip.

The_Decryptor
Ditto.

Ok, we'll do that right after we get some power mad mods.

randomnut
Ok, we'll do that right after we get some power mad mods.

I can name at least 1.

Steven P.
I can name at least 1.

If you have issues with a certain staff member you can PM a Supervisor who will look into any wrong doing or undeserved warns.

insanekiwi
when i joined neowin back then (the dark ages :rofl:) people were not even allowed to discuss about warnings and whatnot. did i miss something or how will neowin and staffers prevent people from complaining, i.e. opening threads, asking questions, sending out PMs?

don't get me wrong, personally i can't understand this whole change idea at all.

i never quoted myself, but actually nobody provided any answer to my question :)

(especially the complaining even more thought comes to my mind since people will of course try to discuss decisions in public then)

Farstrider
I'd probably just ask why the person feels everything Audioboxer posts is worth 1 star to him?

IF the person replies to your question and tells you why he rated it as crap or otherwise how can you refute his answer? The answer, quite simply, is that you cannot!

Its quite futile to debate about this because as is evident Audioboxer gets singled out therefore if we saw who was doing all the ratings for his threads a pattern would come to light and the person responsible have his rating rights taken away.

Who are you to say that it is futile to debate this? By the sheer nature of your comment you are basically telling me that there will be no debate! You assume, by said statement, that you are the sole judge and jury? I think not! It most definitely is a subjective point of view (Regardless of how skewed it may be!) and if anyone who reads these posts feels the need to rate it in that manner there is precious little you can do about it.

Yes, but you can always look at a trend. You could argue that needless and non contributory rating is either trolling or spam?

So basically when it becomes a trend to use say, Firefox, is everyone who uses IE7 an idiot! Once again the answer is no!

Why would you be subjective in a rating system? You can be but you don't have to be. I, for one, rate threads based on the content and not because of the author.

To answer as succinctly as possible, people inherently ARE subjective beings and will not always see things that way you or I do! Sorry that's the way of the world, nothing you can do will change that.

Wannes

That's true but 3/4 of the names on Neowin are unknown for us therefore we can not really be subjective all of the time. We don't know the person and I'm not rating threads on the originality of the names. Anyway, this topic is not about thread rating so we'll let it go. ;)

Farstrider
That's true but 3/4 of the names on Neowin are unknown for us therefore we can not really be subjective all of the time. We don't know the person and I'm not rating threads on the originality of the names. Anyway, this topic is not about thread rating so we'll let it go. ;)

OK, if you say so................. ;)

Lt-DavidW

Changes I would like to see to the rating system to prevent abuse:

1. You cannot rate your own thread.

2. A thread rating is not visible until at least 2 people rate it. (A single member's rating cannot be representative of the average opinion.)

+StevoFC

It's funny as hell that even a thread specifically about moderation gets completely off topic.