The Big Wrestling Thread!

Ok, so some good AEW news came outta that ticket event they held last night:

Kenny Omega officially signed with them, and during his little speech was attacked by Jericho so they are probably setting up the rematch for these two at Double or Nothing or building to a big rematch at a show in the future once they are established more.

AEW announced they are partnering with Lucha Libre AAA

There are some confirmed matches now and some others which were teased, such as:

PAC vs. Hangman Page is now official after a via satellite confrontation.

SoCal Uncensored vs. CIMA &  two more OWE names is now official.

The Young Bucks vs. Rey Fenix & Pentagon Jr was heavily teased

Nyla Rose vs. Kylie Rae was also teased

Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho was teased with their altercation

This is all via Wrestlezone by way of Twitter and the Double or Nothing ticket event last night.

• Like 1

I'm really happy for Pentagon (Jr now?) the dude is mega talanted and has been working his butt off for years to hit it big. So between the Impact stuff (which I haven't seen much of sadly) and now AEW I really am excited to see more people freak out over his in ring work. Also he's scary af on the mix, I never realized a dude just speaking Spanish (with some weird filter on it....) could be so threatening 😛

• Like 1

RVD I can see still kinda going in the ring. But I thought Sabu was so messed up these days that he could barely walk anymore let alone wrestle against guys probably 20 years or so younger than he is. Not to mention Pentagon could probably kill Sabu by looking at him funny :D

17 minutes ago, LOC said:

RVD I can see still kinda going in the ring. But I thought Sabu was so messed up these days that he could barely walk anymore let alone wrestle against guys probably 20 years or so younger than he is. Not to mention Pentagon could probably kill Sabu by looking at him funny :D

He did have a hip replacement two years ago, so maybe it won't be a complete trainwreck.

Yeah but even with a hip replacement how could he possibly move as fast as he used to 15-20 years ago? I'd imagine scar tissue and further damage to other joints/parts of his legs and what not would limit him even more. But I digress, maybe he can pull out a good/great match now. I hope he can anyways.

34 minutes ago, LOC said:

Yeah but even with a hip replacement how could he possibly move as fast as he used to 15-20 years ago? I'd imagine scar tissue and further damage to other joints/parts of his legs and what not would limit him even more. But I digress, maybe he can pull out a good/great match now. I hope he can anyways.

Indeed, which is probably why it's a tag team match; RVD can pick up the slack when needed.

RIP Pedro, another great of the wrestling world gone. He truly was an incredible talent in the ring, I still remember going to a show one time and he was wrestling Tito Santana I believe. Amazing match between two amazing professional wrestlers. He retired in 1987 or so, but being that match I saw him in was one of the first wrestling shows I ever saw live - I'll never forget it.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms to acquire the rights and trademarks for the Wargames match from Major League Wrestling, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple WWE sources.

The Wargames concept, featuring two rings and a double steel cage encased in a roof with staggered entrances leading into "The Match Beyond" that could only end in submission was originally created by Dusty Rhodes in 1987, debuting in July of that year for Jim Crockett Promotions.  It was brilliant for its time.  The dramatic, violent match became a beloved staple for the NWA and later, World Championship Wrestling after Turner Broadcasting purchased that promotion in late 1988.  Wargames was utilized regularly by WCW, which branded the Fall Brawl PPV around it, until it shut down in March 2001, purchased by World Wrestling Entertainment at the end of the Monday Night War.

While WWE eventually released a "Best of War Games" DVD set, they did not keep the Wargames match concept active.  That left the Wargames sitting, unofficially, in the public domain, as WWE never actually claimed its rights.  Indeed, a pitch to revive the match concept eventually evolved into what is now known as the Elimination Chamber.

Enter Major League Wrestling.  During the promotion's initial run, MLW used the Wargames name and concept in 2003 featuring Terry Funk leading a team against Steve Corino's team in Fort Lauderdale.  When MLW relaunched in 2007, they filed a trademark for War Games name, as they could lay claim to using it back in 2003 and there was no active trademark for it.  The plan was to use the match once a year as a major gimmick event, as they did in September 2018, back in Fort Lauderdale.

When WWE opted to revive the old concept for the NXT brand in November 2017, they learned they could not actually trademark the name, as MLW had already done so.  This led to WWE scrambling and filing trademarks on a number of old WCW TV and PPV titles, including Monday Nitro, WCW Saturday Night and Fall Brawl, among others.  With WWE using the Wargames name for the second time late last year for NXT, we are told by several WWE sources that they reached out to MLW and worked out a deal, acquiring it several months back.

As part of the deal, we are told MLW will not be using the concept or name going forward.     

PWInsider.com first learned of WWE acquiring the Wargames rights a week ago and reached out to MLW's Court Bauer at that time.  Bauer has not returned a request for comment.  However, after being told of WWE acquiring the rights from a third WWE source this evening, PWInsider.com is going forward with our story.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=124181

Anybody see EC yet? So I thought most of the show was certainly OK - nothing great but certainly acceptable. The women's and men's EC matches were awesome imo, as was the Rousey/Flair/Lynch angle they did. I really, really loved the tag title match (and by loved I mean was dumb founded by it). Oh and Kofi Kingston should really get a run at the top of the company. The dude is an incredible in ring performer and he's proven himself time and again in that regard - not to mention he's also good on the mic and has tons of charisma. He's totally a company guy and does whatever he's told to do (as far as we know) and never says a bad word about anyone apparently. He's SO good and so underused. As with many talents in the past (and currently) I fear he's just going to be passed by until he retires or moves on. :(