The Big Wrestling Thread!

Really sad news in the wrestling world today, as Mean Gene Okerlund passed away. I'll always associate backstage interviews (and some pretty good in ring interviews for that matter) with Mean Gene, not to mention his amazing interactions with Bobby Heenan and other WWE personalities. RIP Mean Gene Okerlund, you were one of a kind in the wrestling business and you'll always be remembered as an integral part of any wrestling show. I mean you can't have a wrestling show without Mean Gene. RIP :(

WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Gene Okerlund, the most recognizable interviewer in sports-entertainment history, has passed away at age 76.

In his early days, “Mean Gene”, as he was named by fellow Minnesotan, Jesse “The Body” Ventura first came to prominence by interviewing the greatest stars of the AWA, including Ventura, Bobby “The Brain” Heenan and Hulk Hogan. In 1984, Okerlund made the move to WWE where he became a staple on national cable television by continuing to interview the biggest names in sports-entertainment like Hogan, “Macho Man” Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior and many more.

Okerlund branched out from interviewing by providing ringside commentary and hosting several shows, including All-American Wrestling, Tuesday Night Titans, Wrestling Challenge and Prime Time Wrestling. Announcing wasn’t all that Okerlund could do with a microphone, as his distinct voice sung the National Anthem at the first WrestleMania in 1985. Later that year, Okerlund would sing “Tutti Frutti” on WWE’s The Wrestling Album.

In 1993, Okerlund joined WCW as lead interviewer where he continued to interview many of the legends he had worked with in the AWA and WWE as well as WCW stalwarts, Sting, Diamond Dallas Page, Goldberg and others.

In 2001, Okerlund returned to WWE to call the Gimmick Battle Royal at WrestleMania 17 along with Bobby “The Brain” Heenan and continued to appear on WWE television programming, including being a cast member on WWE Network’s Legends’ House.

WWE extends its condolences to Okerlund’s family, friends and fans.

Wrestlezone

• Sad 2

Nice little mini-doc on some indie wrestlers (I believe one of them is Bayley's husband?) with a nice appearance by The Undertaker! Out of character of course, cuz he's doing that more and more these days :D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Calacicus said:

Anyone watch Wrestle Kingdom 13?

I'm watching it now; been at work all day.

5 hours ago, Calacicus said:

Hide contents

ALOT OF TITLE CHANGES!

You weren't kidding, that's for sure.

Spoiler

They all changed hands this time; all 8 of them!

7 hours ago, LOC said:

Let the speculation over certain wrestlers going to WWE (or ROH, or even Impact lulz) go into overdrive now!

Kenny Omega has been offered big money for WWE but I think he will go to AEW

9 hours ago, LOC said:

Let the speculation over certain wrestlers going to WWE (or ROH, or even Impact lulz) go into overdrive now!

We can already rule out a few...

55 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

We can already rule out a few...

Surprised Britt did, think she was on the Edge and Christian show a few weeks back.

The weekend continues tonight over in America with the NWA's Pop Up Event; no live PPV this time, but it's going up on demand within a week.

This is probably the most intriguing match on the card...

Then it's Impact's turn in Tennessee tomorrow...

Was using a cinder block in a match after that horrible match had that literal attempted murder in it in Puerto Rico a few weeks ago a smart thing to do? Probably not. Also I don't think that sentence made any sense but I'm kinda out of it right now from some medication so I'm just correcting misspelled words at this point :D

Tomorrow night, IMPACT wrestling returns to the Asylum in Nashville, Tennessee for Homecoming. Below is the final updated card which begins at 8pm

1. IMPACT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

-Johnny Impact (c) vs. Brian Cage

2. KNOCKOUTS CHAMPIONSHIP

-Tessa Blanchard (c) vs. Taya Valkryrie 
(Special guest referee Gail Kim)

3. IMPACT WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS

-LAX (c) vs. Lucha Bros (Pentagon Jr. and Rey Fenix)

4. X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP - ULTIMATE X

-Jake Crist versus Ethan Page versus Rich Swann versus Trey Miguel

5. MONSTERS' BALL

-Eli Drake versus Abyss

6. FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE

-Moose versus. Eddie Edwards

-Sami Callihan versus Willie Mack

-Allie & Su Yung vs. Kiera Hogan & Jordynne Grace

• Like 2

I think Cage is gonna win the title tomorrow night. Johnny Whatever's run hasn't exactly been mind blowing and Cage is way better since he's a heel. Also, I hope Sami Callihan doesn't kill Willie Mack.

9 hours ago, LOC said:

I hope Sami Callihan doesn't kill Willie Mack.

Ask Mil Muertes, he'd swap the names around.

23 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

I remember that!  I thought it was Awesome that Mankind won the belt.  Then they had to do the "back-and-forth" bit for a while, which got boring fast.