The Big Wrestling Thread!

Daily Sports in Japan reports that WWE has offered a contract to Pro Wrestling Noah star KENTA and that Noah will be doing a farewell show for him but that's likely a premature report. We noted before that KENTA was at the WWE Performance Center for a tryout this week.

Could be good (Y)

WWE has been working on concepts for Sting t-shirts pushing the theme of calling him ?A Man Called Sting? since WCW trademarked the phrase and WWE owns the intellectual property rights to it. A memo came in to WWE?s merchandise department last week to start working on the ideas for Sting.

Daily Sports in Japan reports that WWE has offered a contract to Pro Wrestling Noah star KENTA and that Noah will be doing a farewell show for him but that's likely a premature report. We noted before that KENTA was at the WWE Performance Center for a tryout this week.

Could be good (Y)

Seems they're still looking at signing Prince Devitt too.

Sky Sports this morning announced securing six long-term rights agreements, including a deal to extend their coverage of WWE programming on a five year deal starting in 2015. The statement in full read:

The new agreement with WWE, the worldwide leader in sports entertainment, includes the popular weekly programmes RAW?, SmackDown?, WWE Main Event?, and WWE Experience?, which is due to feature all the WWE superstars, including John Cena, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Big Show and Daniel Bryan.

Sky will also offer 12 special events a year on a pay-per-view basis, including WrestleMania?, Royal Rumble?, SummerSlam?, Survivor Series? and Money in the Bank?.

It is unclear, at this stage, whether this will impact on the WWE Network as and when it arrives in the UK. It should be said that there is no guarantee that any UK version of the network would carry pay per view events as will be the case in the US. Also, Sky usually offer a few select pay-per-view events "free" each year (to people who subscribe to Sky Sports) that statement suggests that from next year all shows might be exclusive to Sky Box Office.

Oh boy, that's gonna **** off a lot of people if Sky end up moving all the WWE events over to PPV.

Ooh, and for the fellow Brits on here, don't forget Impact Wrestling's live tonight from Glasgow on Challenge! 9pm-11pm. Should be a good'un. ;)

Wait, Sky offered certain PPV's for free?

Why have i never heard of this? I thought they were all Box Office.

Yeah, they used to show half of them on Sky Sports for "free" (obviously you still have to subscribe to Sky Sports to see them) and the other half on Sky Box Office. This year, it's now just three free PPVs. And if the statement is to be believed, it's all going over to Box Office next year. :/

I was hoping BT Sport would come in and buy WWE rights :p

Would have been a good move. They already do a good job with the UFC events; get to see every single one and they're not PPV here. :)

Yeah, they used to show half of them on Sky Sports for "free" (obviously you still have to subscribe to Sky Sports to see them) and the other half on Sky Box Office. This year, it's now just three free PPVs. And if the statement is to be believed, it's all going over to Box Office next year. :/

Would have been a good move. They already do a good job with the UFC events; get to see every single one and they're not PPV here. :)

Yeah I would like one day maybe BT to have a combat channel where they can show Boxing, MMA, Wrestling etc!

• Like 1

That is interesting. I've been a Sky sports subscriber for about 10 years. Never once did i know some of the PPV's were "free".

I remember the days when channel 4 had the rights to some of the PPV's. I still got those PPV's recorded on VHS in the attic.