Acid 3 - The Web Browsers Test

what exactly does the acid test mean for real browsing?

Not much, to be quite honest.

IE barely complies to any web standards and look how little real-world effect it has had on people.

Web standards, Acid, etc. are only going to matter once IE, the most dominant browser, fully complies with them.

I'm getting "only" 92 in 3.6 Beta 4, and I have only the Adblock Plus extension installed.

Well (it's working fine for me at least) I'm getting a 94 in 3.6 Beta 4 and the only

extension i have is DownloadHelper 4.6.5

Not much, to be quite honest.

IE barely complies to any web standards and look how little real-world effect it has had on people.

Web standards, Acid, etc. are only going to matter once IE, the most dominant browser, fully complies with them.

The reason IEs lack of web standards has little effect on real-world websites is because as you mention it is the most dominant browser due to it being included by default in Windows, 90% of Windows users do not know better and (crappy) web developers code to IE standards not web standards.

That being said I agree that web standards will only matter to a majority of web developers when their largest userbase is using a browser that complies with all those standards, otherwise their site is going to look like crap and people aren't going to visit it. Its sad really, the most dominant browser has the least web standards support, most developers sadly develop for the majority, whether it supports proper standards or not.....we either need to get MS to get IE up to speed on web standards or we need to get IE out of the hands of the majority so developers will start following web standards.....the latter would probably be the better idea as if it could be done quickly the industry will not be following IE standards, instead MS will actually get to work and improve IE to meet the web standards, making it a better browser.

MS have been improving IE, IE6 sucks, IE7 and 8 not so much, and IE9's going to start supporting CSS3 features.

Yes, they are, but much more slowly than any other major browser out there.

Look at FF, Chrome, Opera, Safari and any other big-name browser, they ALL have better web standards support than even IE8 (overall), why is MS moving so slowly in getting proper web standard support? They still have one of the most-used browsers, they shouldn't be ignoring web standard support simply because they have the largest market share without supporting most/all of the web standards....