Acid 3 - The Web Browsers Test

None have passed yet. Browsers must:

(1) pass all 100 tests

(2) pass those tests smoothly at 30fps or higher on each test

(3) present pixel-perfect rendering.

Safari and Opera WinGogi have met criteria (1) and (3). They both fail to meet criteria (2). Safari has performance problems with 2 or 3 of the tests while Opera WinGogi has problems with the same tests but also a few others. Right now, Safari is in the lead.

Most people are very interested in browser compatibility with standards these days, really strange!. I think is just another excuse to support the browser of their preference, more than the fact of the the advantages that brings the support or not support these standards :hmmm:

Standards are important. They make the job of a web developer infinitely easier. When a web developer has to hack around the inability of other rendering engines to do things properly, it creates messy code, extra work, and confusion.

IE8 will fail because its still a beta.

Do you mean it will pass when it gets out of beta? Or IE's been a beta all this time? :blink: Or the test is a beta, and doesn't uses the proper CSS hacks? :p

interesting, FF 3.0 beta5 gives a decent score. Bad score for opera though was expecting much more.

thanks.

Opera 9.27 is pre-Krestrel, WinGogi is post-Kestrel. I doubt Opera will be adding any more Acid3 fix to their pre-Kestrel stable builds since it should be more about usability than passing a fancy artificial test. I'd like to see them fixing their 9.2x compatibility issues with the latest Flash instead of trying to merge stuffs from their highly unstable WinGogi experimental builds into their current stable builds to get a few more scores in Acid3.

interesting, FF 3.0 beta5 gives a decent score. Bad score for opera though was expecting much more.

thanks.

Opera 9.5 beta gives better result than FF 3 beta 5. "Failed 22 tests" for Opera 9.5 build 9864.

Opera 9.5 beta gives better result than FF 3 beta 5. "Failed 22 tests" for Opera 9.5 build 9864.

I think the last Kestrel weekly scores 79/100.

Standards are important. They make the job of a web developer infinitely easier. When a web developer has to hack around the inability of other rendering engines to do things properly, it creates messy code, extra work, and confusion.

However, the Acid3 mainly doesn't test the browser to make sure it can support what features the standards include, but rather to make sure it does NOT support what features the standards exclude...

Safari has performance problems with 2 or 3 of the tests while Opera WinGogi has problems with the same tests but also a few others. Right now, Safari is in the lead.

I don't think so. I think the current WebKit nightly and the Opera WinGogi both have two problems in Acid3, but one of them differs.

WebKit:

snap3vh9.jpg

WinGogi:

snap4ce1.jpg

The difference is that WinGogi has a less than perfect pass of test 69 for taking more than one attempts at it, while WebKit takes more than 0.5s in test 65.

Also somehow WinGogi can consistently achieve a total time of around 1s, less than WebKit's total time of around 3s, when both are loading from cache.

• 4 months later...

Serious?

Acid3 don't mean anythng in real world at present and near future, innovation, security, performance to name just 3 things are far more important.

These test should be for developers only, as at present its mis-guiding the ignorrent to how good browser is.

Acid3 tests a lot of DOM stuff and support for a few standards (including CSS features)

Since IE doesn't have good support for those things, it gets a very low score (Yes, including IE8 B2)

yeah doesn't acid 3 check for things that are really new and as such are implemented in very few sites.

i would expect much better support in 9. however far away that is.....