WWDC '08

I just looked it up. Says it doesn't have video call conferencing.

dscn0077cv9.jpg

You fail very very very much.

No front camera either? How the hell do you video conference without a front facing camera. (don't tell me to use a mirror)

Simple: Turn the camera around and your contact can see you, if thats what you want. Otherwise, show your contact the surroundings.

Fixed.

Another epic fail :rolleyes: Staff is on a roll today!

The E70 can do video conference without a front facing camera.

Every S60 3rd 3G phone can.

Thanks, the only phone that seems to be 3G and can't do a video conference is a iPhone. But hey it can't send MMS either so...

..why? Seems to defeat the point when having to switch the phone over.

The point of video calling is to show someone something. If you want to show them your face, set up a meeting with a time and date and meet so you can smell, touch, hear, taste and see the person.

Where does is say the iPhone 3G has video conferencing? How often do you even video conference anyways? It's useless.

I agree. And imagine the drain on the battery video conferencing would have on the iPhone.

I agree. And imagine the drain on the battery video conferencing would have on the iPhone.

And, honestly, it's just one more thing to go wrong on the phone.

Where does is say the iPhone 3G has video conferencing? How often do you even video conference anyways? It's useless.

Not often I agree but the option is avaliable at least :)

Oh come on.....invent better excuses for Apple than "its a drain on battery"

Thats just low and sad. :( It really doesnt matter than it doesnt have MMS or video calling because at 129? with its features its great. But please dont put excuses for not having x feature...

You fail very very very much.

Simple: Turn the camera around and your contact can see you, if thats what you want. Otherwise, show your contact the surroundings.

Another epic fail :rolleyes: Staff is on a roll today!

Thanks, the only phone that seems to be 3G and can't do a video conference is a iPhone. But hey it can't send MMS either so...

The point of video calling is to show someone something. If you want to show them your face, set up a meeting with a time and date and meet so you can smell, touch, hear, taste and see the person.

No--the point of video conferencing is to make it more personal and to see each other. (to emulate that meeting)

Not really practical to set up a meeting when someone is across the country. Time and money have to be spent for short meetings and thats mainly where it comes into play. Video conferencing with a back camera is pretty damn stupid if you ask me.

But hey, if you like that--I'm sure someone can develop an app for the iPhone for that.

I've never done video conferencing calls, mainly because of their price, secondly because most of my calls last less than a minute for quick stuff. It would be a blow if they suddenly released super cheap video calls. But since they prices are still high, I'm not missing on anything. Not only that, MMS prices were increased about a year or two ago in spain for no apparent reason. I don't use those either.

Now, I'm not sure about MMS, but Im sure that none of the people I know use video calls.

No--the point of video conferencing is to make it more personal and to see each other. (to emulate that meeting)

If you say so and it helps you sleep at night....

Not really practical to set up a meeting when someone is across the country.

I rather see another part of a country that Ive never seen than another human being

Video conferencing with a back camera is pretty damn stupid if you ask me.

Yet noone has asked you.

But hey, if you like that--I'm sure someone can develop an app for the iPhone for that.

Im sure of it :) Im surprised (if im not mistaken) that someone hasnt developed a MMS application yet.

Not often I agree but the option is avaliable at least :)

Oh come on.....invent better excuses for Apple than "its a drain on battery"

Thats just low and sad. :( It really doesnt matter than it doesnt have MMS or video calling because at 129? with its features its great. But please dont put excuses for not having x feature...

Well think about it. How is inoti> a huge drain on the battery? And of course there has to be an excuse for it not having x feature. Apple isn't going to create a device and put features in it if it drains the battery.

There's no winning for some people. If they had the video conferencing, but poor batter life you'd complain about that too.

With a join date of a month ago, and 300 posts, you certainly have quite an ego.

Just because YOUR phone has it, doesn't mean all 3G phones do.

You said all, so lets get some more phones that have it, bud, or shut up.

For instance, the BJ1 and 2 both don't have it, and both are 3G. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing it on any Windows Mobile based phone, which is what the iphone competes with, not Symbian.

I rather see another part of a country that Ive never seen than another human being

I think you might have missed it, but you do know that the word "conferencing" is in "Video Conferencing" right?

You're trying to argue for a point of cell phones with recording video. That's fine--but be aware that the discussion was originally stemmed for video conferencing--a back facing camera defeats the point of the whole "conference".

Im sure of it :) Im surprised (if im not mistaken) that someone hasnt developed a MMS application yet.

Thats because the app store isn't available yet. It will be there.

No, thats the point of a video.

The point of a video conference is to see the other PERSON. With a back camera, you can't see each other at the same time, and thus are not video conferencing, you are just showing each other the walls of the building you are in.

I don't know about you but I find video conferencing very useful. For example, my brother has a problem with his notebook. Now before you say I should use remote desktop or whatever program that does something similar, he does not have internet in his area. And explaining complex configurations and settings will only result in confusion. So we video call each other and it certainly does help, especially when I can see what window is on his desktop or what setting he has to choose.

Another example is if I'm stuck in traffic and I need to get to a meeting but I don't think I will make it, I just use my phone to make a video call and just conference away. Most people think that video calls is expensive but to me it isn't. My network has a plan where you're most active 10 numbers can result in savings, so most of the time my video calls costs a few cents per minute. At one point before, video calls were free in that select number but they decided to remove it.

So I find it stupid and idiotic of Apple not to include a front camera in the iPhone 3G. I don't mind not having a good camera on a phone, that's the reason why I have a digital camera. Anyway, my camera phone is only used for taking pictures of pricetags, shopping items or important landmarks. But 3G network is first and foremost all about video calls. The iPhone already has WiFi so there is no need to use 3G speeds for the internet. I can't think of a reason why they simply omitted the camera, just like some of the Nokia business phones, such as the Nokia E65.

On a last note, funciona, you need to calm down and show others some respect. I understand you want to share your views but there is no need to be rude about it. The point of a forum is to discuss issues in a mature and civilised way, there is no need to resort to petty retorts and remarks. Read what you write before you post it, as it can help you in making sure your words do not cause any pointless remarks.

Scirwode

Well think about it. How is it not a huge drain on the battery? And of course there has to be an excuse for it not having x feature. Apple isn't going to create a device and put features in it if it drains the battery.

Wi-Fi, touchscreen, color screen, etc is all a drain on the battery so that argument is invalid.

There's no winning for some people. If they had the video conferencing, but poor batter life you'd complain about that too.

The E70 has video conferencing and great battery life....Whats your point?

With a join date of a month ago, and 300 posts, you certainly have quite an ego.

This is OT and I dont know what it has to do but Ive been here since Neowin was around problably. I fail to see what this has to do with the topic but oh well

Just because YOUR phone has it, doesn't mean all 3G phones do.

You said all, so lets get some more phones that have it, bud, or shut up.

For instance, the BJ1 and 2 both don't have it, and both are 3G. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing it on any Windows Mobile based phone, which is what the iphone competes with, not Symbian.

Why iPhone competes with Symbian

1: Symbian has its own SDK which you can develop applications with just like iPhone and Windows Mobile

2: Symbian has the most mobile marketshare. WM doesnt even come near.

Well if you dont recall seeing it on WM (which I have no idea), maybe thats one of the many reasons thats WM sucks and Symbian has more market share :)

I think you might have missed it, but you do know that the word "conferencing" is in "Video Conferencing" right?

Yes.

I fail to see your point

You're trying to argue for a point of cell phones with recording video. That's fine--but be aware that the discussion was originally stemmed for video conferencing--a back facing camera defeats the point of the whole "conference".

A example:

Im in a theme park on another side of the world. I ride a ride while video conferencing this shows the whole ride and my face after the experience. Way better LIVE than prerecorded...

No, thats the point of a video.

The point of a video conference is to see the other PERSON. With a back camera, you can't see each other at the same time, and thus are not video conferencing, you are just showing each other the walls of the building you are in.

Why isnt video conferencing also that: showing your surroundings live? Because you say so?

Wi-Fi, touchscreen, color screen, etc is all a drain on the battery so that argument is invalid.

The E70 has video conferencing and great battery life....Whats your point?

That's the point of not having video conferencing. E70 doesn't have the feature set the iPhone already has. Video playback drains the battery enough as it is, video conferencing would be useless if all you get to use it for was a few minutes before a recharge was needed when the user uses all of the other features on the phone.

I have a feel the vast majority of the people who have a cell phone with video conferencing capabilities don't actually use it, simply because it is pointless. Video conferencing really doesn't add that much to a users experience to warrant it.

:rofl: I think you honestly need to get your definitions straight as to what a conference or meeting is.

The whole point of it is to have a face to face discussion with someone else LIVE. Not to "take turns" into seeing the scene and then your face again--that's not real video conferencing. (again--don't tell me to make a personal meeting where I can lick or taste someone--that's beside the point)

E70 doesn't have the feature set the iPhone already has.

It has everything the iPhone has except:

-Screen size/resolution

-Touchscreen

-A accelerometer

:rofl: I think you honestly need to get your definitions straight as to what a conference or meeting is.

The whole point of it is to have a face to face discussion with someone else LIVE. Not to "take turns" into seeing the scene and then your face again--that's not real video conferencing. (again--don't tell me to make a personal meeting where I can lick or taste someone--that's beside the point)

Its not real video conferencing just because YOU say so? I fail again to see your point.

Also I personally perfer one back 2.0MP camera used for video calls than two cameras, one back 2.0MP camera and another 0.3MP ****ty front camera.

My friend has the E65 and it's a laugh seeing him try to do a video conference with his girlfriend. Let's just say he turns it around very quickly again and again just to catch her reaction at key moments :rofl: ! Oh, as for the argument on battery life, when I leave my phone on 3G network, the battery life is usually just about the same as the normal network. So either way, the most you would be saving is a an hour or so. Besides, most of us probably recharge our phones when we reach home so I don't think it's a big deal. Another way is to turn it on when you only need to, such as calling a person to turn on his 3G network and then video call him when he does.

I still think Apple should have put a front facing camera.

Scirwode

If you know Apple, you know they don't put extras into their products if it's not going to be used and it doesn't work seamlessly. Video calls are expensive, and it takes longer that a traditional call or even a text. When video calls become more mainstream, then I see Apple putting a frontside camera.

-Screen size/resolution

-Touchscreen

-A accelerometer

I would disagree, it has very small memory, is rather heavy and the biggest point, the design and looks does not even compare with iPhone.

Its not real video conferencing just because YOU say so? I fail again to see your point.

Also I personally perfer one back 2.0MP camera used for video calls than two cameras, one back 2.0MP camera and another 0.3MP ****ty front camera.

You must be joking :blink: .

Scirwode

If you know Apple, you know they don't put extras into their products if it's not going to be used and it doesn't work seamlessly. Video calls are expensive, and it takes longer that a traditional call or even a text. When video calls become more mainstream, then I see Apple putting a frontside camera.

My thoughts exactly.

-Screen size/resolution

-Touchscreen

-A accelerometer

And the looks, and the storage capacity (64megs vs 8gigs and you think thats the same?) and much more. Not to mention the app store.

And lets not even acknowledge how much better surfing the net is on the iphone compared to every other phone out there.

No, its not video conferencing because the definition of a conference says it isn't.

It is a call that also does video, sure. But lets try this.

A normal (audio) conference call is done so multiple parties can hear everyone else at the same time. So why wouldn't a (video) conference call be the same way?

Hint: It is.

It would be completely asinine for an audio conference call to have to be turned off, or around or anything of that sort for it to work. And the way your beloved phone does video calls is equally as asinine.

Yes, you are making a video call. However, it is not a video CONFERENCE.