WWDC '08

Some of those features will be possible following the 2.0 firmware release in early July. That's when the iPhone show's it's real potential.

Exactly what I've been thinking. These are the features that are possible via software update:

- MMS

- Video recording

- Bluetooth protocols

- More camera features e.g. zoom

Ah I hate O2, their actual tariffs are so damn expensive! I really want an iphone but at the same time i know for a phone like that ill need to get insurance ie theft etc so it will bring my bill upto ?40 for 18 months plus ?100 for the iphone. Damnit. I can always go with 3 again they offer me viewty plus 1100 mix match minutes plus unlimited skype for ?25 18 months!! I just dont know....

I'll set myself a business trip to the US on July 11. That price is insane, I'm becoming unwell. :p

Its impossible that the price is going to be $199 worldwide.

Thats 127.26?. With 3G, GPS, Camera, Touchscreen, Bluetooth and Wifi? I dont believe it.

^which might be the reason why he/she said "NO video calling". ;)

if its really going to be 199 worldwide, just in theory now, and its really the MAX price you have to pay... im off to italy as soon as it comes out, even if it was 199€, its unlocked out of the box there afaik...

so i dont think thats really possible. but it indeed would be... AWESOME... sorry for the capital letters but man...

Errm, isn't the camera on the back? Kinda makes it hard to do a video call. :s

All phones (except the iPhone) support 3G video calling even if it only has one back camera (for example the Nokia E70)

All phones (except the iPhone) support 3G video calling even if it only has one back camera (for example the Nokia E70)

How does it work with just a camera on the back, though?

How on earth are you meant to video call with only a back-mounted camera?

The person sees you thru your back camera.

You see the person using their camera.

Maybe I didnt understand your question.

You need to purchase an unreleased addon called the iMirror. Basically, you stand in front of the iMirror, which is like a regular mirror but is specifically designed for 3G calls. You then point your iPhone at your iReflection in the iMirror and BINGO. :)

The person sees you thru your back camera.

You see the person using their camera.

Maybe I didnt understand your question.

How can you see the other person when you've got the screen facing away from you?

Sorry, we don't have pictures but Apple took us into a dramatically lit back-room to check out the new iPhone 3G. Here's what you need to know:

We did a quick data test -- at our location we went from 104Kbps on the EDGE iPhone to 215Kbps on the 3G model. 2x ain't bad, yo.

The enable/disable 3G setting is real, and buried a few menus deep. There is no automatic switching, Apple just assumes you'll leave 3G on, and that the iPhone has the juice to support that usage.

WiFi is still 802.11b/g, no support for n yet.

Yes, that GPS is A-GPS, just as we mentioned.

Geotagging photos is a thumbs-up. We were deep indoors though, so native GPS wasn't working and we couldn't get a clear idea of satellite acquisition time.

The screen looks exactly the same -- maybe a tiny bit brighter, but the unit was new, so it'd be negligible.

The camera is identical to the first -- 2 megapixels. No front-facing camera (of course).

It's certainly thicker feeling, but they rocked it Treo-style and really tapered those edges, so it just doesn't feel that different. But because of that curved back, it'll dance around on your table a little more than your completely-flat original iPhone.

The plastic back didn't feel too cheap. In fact, it felt pretty solid. It's very clossy, so it'll pick up fingerprints just as well as the glass up front (yay).

It comes with a ridiculously, absurdly small power adapter. It basically looks like a tiny square with a USB port on one side, and power prongs on the other. It will power any other iDevice (iPod touch, 1st gen iPhone, etc.), and sell separately for those that want a smaller adapter.

The dock (now sold separately) and adapter (if you want an extra) will both go for something like $29, although that price is not yet confirmed.

No mention was made of copy/paste, MMS, etc.

It doesn't look like this thing is going to fit in your old dock. The new dock does look smaller and more sculpted to the new iPhone's curves.

The headphone jack is flush, as mentioned. It's still 3.5mm, so if you don't like the out of box phones (which won't stay in our ears), bring your own, no problem -- and no adapter needed!

Yes, original iPhones are totally gone, you won't be seeing those made anymore. Long live the aluminum back!

It looks like they took an amazing device and made it significantly better. If the battery life is as good as they claim, we think this will steamroll the competition in the enterprise space. And even if it doesn't, at $199 it's going to be extremely hard for people to resist.

Via Engadget.

You turn the phone around. :huh:

But they can't see you then. The whole point of video calling is that you see each other. Without a front camera, thats impossible.

You turn the phone around. :huh:

Thats gotta be the most stupid idea I've heard in ages. Seriously.

The Lunch has ended and the Conference resumed...20 minutes ago.

Supposedly Snow Leopard will be discussed. Any info/ pics on this yet ?

Exactly what I've been thinking. These are the features that are possible via software update:

- MMS

- Video recording

- Bluetooth protocols

- More camera features e.g. zoom

Good point actually, what do you think they will charge tho - lol

On that point does anyone see Apple charging for app updates via app store? Y'know buy the app in the first instance - a new update for it comes out - do they allow the creators to make you pay for the update or will that be free (ala firmware updates etc)

Malc

Good point actually, what do you think they will charge tho - lol

On that point does anyone see Apple charging for app updates via app store? Y'know buy the app in the first instance - a new update for it comes out - do they allow the creators to make you pay for the update or will that be free (ala firmware updates etc)

Malc

The developers decide on the price of their own applications. I imagine updates to already purchased products will be free, just like how it works on OS X.