• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC '08

DrewJW    9

Nar, seems it's private this one :(

funciona    0
But they can't see you then. The whole point of video calling is that you see each other. Without a front camera, thats impossible.

The whole point of video calling is to see. Not to see each other. If you want to see each other, call up, set up a time and date, and in person you can feel, hear, see, smell, and taste them.

Thats gotta be the most stupid idea I've heard in ages. Seriously.

Why? Because all 3G phones support this and the iPhone doesnt? Yep. Its a stupid idea :rolleyes:

Wannes    38
But they can't see you then. The whole point of video calling is that you see each other. Without a front camera, thats impossible.

Mirror? :laugh: No, it's a pity that there is no front camera for video phoning.

@funciona: The "turn the phone around-idea" was a stupid idea.

crazzyyfool    29
The whole point of video calling is to see. Not to see each other. If you want to see each other, call up, set up a time and date, and in person you can feel, hear, see, smell, and taste them.

Why? Because all 3G phones support this and the iPhone doesnt? Yep. Its a stupid idea :rolleyes:

No. The idea of not having a front-mounted camera yet having a video-conferencing app. You've got to keep turning your phone around. I mean, imagine if you had to do that with MSN video chat. LOL.

haefft    0

Why on Earth would Apple, "hit the pause button on new features," maybe because they don't have anymore ideas? Man I am really disappointed in WWDC, although my predicts were all right on the money.

funciona    0

@funciona: The "turn the phone around-idea" was a stupid idea.

It may be for you but for some reason all 3G phone have it except the iPhone.

No. The idea of not having a front-mounted camera yet having a video-conferencing app. You've got to keep turning your phone around. I mean, imagine if you had to do that with MSN video chat. LOL.

Im sorry but I consider a worse idea having a camera on a phone that supports 3G and not having a video-conferencing application. Thats stupid.

Cara    0
Why on Earth would Apple, "hit the pause button on new features," maybe because they don't have anymore ideas? Man I am really disappointed in WWDC, although my predicts were all right on the money.

Given the fact this is a DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE and NOT MacWorld, I think it was pretty good.

crazzyyfool    29
It may be for you but for some reason all 3G phone have it except the iPhone.

Im sorry but I consider a worse idea having a camera on a phone that supports 3G and not having a video-conferencing application. Thats stupid.

Not when there is no front-mounted camera.

funciona    0
Not when there is no front-mounted camera.

Yes :) iPhone users dont have the option to video conference while the rest do.

Again its stupid idea that a 3G phone has a camera but can't video conference. Its like a phone that can't call. Same thing.

BTW, just to clear it up: At 127? I think the iPhone is a GREAT phone with its features. My Nokia E70 is better yet it costs more so Id understand anyone that would get a iPhone at 127?

haefft    0
Given the fact this is a DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE and NOT MacWorld, I think it was pretty good.

Thanks for pointing it out with caps as I didn't already know WWDC was a developers conference. :rolleyes:

ynnoj    23
Thanks for pointing it out with caps as I didn't already know WWDC was a developers conference. :rolleyes:

Well, why were you disappointed with the keynote? I thought the products and services announced were great.

mattmatik    74

Not all 3G phone can video conference? I had a BlackJack II, which is 3G, and I don't remember it having video conferencing. Of course, having the camera on the OPPOSITE side of the unit to screen is just retarded and I could never be bothered having to flip my phone around constantly. Can you imagine the people that would get motion sickness? You are watching your screen while the moron on the other end of the line is having to fidget with their phone turning it around and such. Absolutely priceless!

And I have a question: Engadget mentions a new charging connector and it being super small. The one I have for my iPhone now is REALLY small, so what are they on? I think that's something totally insignificant. It's not like the current iPhone chargers are the size of an Airport Express or something!

Damian    119
And I have a question: Engadget mentions a new charging connector and it being super small. The one I have for my iPhone now is REALLY small, so what are they on? I think that's something totally insignificant. It's not like the current iPhone chargers are the size of an Airport Express or something!

It's Apple... They always find some way to make things smaller.

prod-inthebox.png

funciona    0
Not all 3G phone can video conference? I had a BlackJack II, which is 3G, and I don't remember it having video conferencing.

Did you try? On my E70, I have to go in Call->Video call.

mattmatik    74
Did you try? On my E70, I have to go in Call->Video call.

I don't have it anymore but I vaguely remember trying but then I remember none of my friends had 3G phones and if they did, wouldn't give a damn about video calls.

Honestly, I didn't see the point because of the camera location.

funciona    0

Yep it has video calling:

Using In-call options

During a call, you can access various options by pressing the Menu soft key.

For a voice call, the following options are available:

- Hold/Unhold: places the call on hold to place another call or to answer another

incoming call.

- Video Share: allows you to share video, both live and pre-recorded, with another

phone that has the video share option- Mute/Unmute: turns off the microphone so that the person with whom you are

speaking cannot hear you, or turns it back on.

- Speakerphone On/Off: turns on/off the speakerphone mode to talk and listen to the

phone a short distance away

betasp    56

Notice that no where it says you can purchas online. Only available in stores... which probably means you will be forced into an on-the-spot contract. Oh well, counts me out for an upgrade.

funciona    0
Honestly, I didn't see the point because of the camera location.

:blink:

...Im on vacation and I want to show someone where Im at.

Besides I think its better having one 2MP camera for video conferencing than having 2 cameras one 2MP and another front 0.3MP for video conferencing.

mattmatik    74
Yep it has video calling:

Ah that's right. You know what, I remember now reading through the manual and reading about Video Share. I don't think it was video conferencing in the way we all are talking about it. Video Share is so you can share videos - like recording something and send it to a recipient. I suppose you could use it for a video call but that would be so backwards to what video conferencing is all about.

It's apparent very few people here use video conferencing either at home or work. The whole point is to see the other person 100% of the time. Same as iChat. You don't see Apple putting iSight cameras on the back of the computers. That's my point and argument. If the camera isn't next to the screen, it's a gimmick. Same as Video Share.

:blink:

...Im on vacation and I want to show someone where Im at.

Besides I think its better having one 2MP camera for video conferencing than having 2 cameras one 2MP and another front 0.3MP for video conferencing.

EXACLTY! Video Share is for just that...sharing videos. It's not for video calling! It's probably fantastic to use if I want to send a video to you of my cat sleeping but not for holding a conversation. Hell, video sharing has been around for a long time, before 3G. On the RAZR you can do it. Any phone with MMS can send video.

funciona    0
Ah that's right. You know what, I remember now reading through the manual and reading about Video Share. I don't think it was video conferencing in the way we all are talking about it. Video Share is so you can share videos - like recording something and send it to a recipient. I suppose you could use it for a video call but that would be so backwards to what video conferencing is all about.

It's apparent very few people here use video conferencing either at home or work. The whole point is to see the other person 100% of the time. Same as iChat. You don't see Apple putting iSight cameras on the back of the computers. That's my point and argument. If the camera isn't next to the screen, it's a gimmick. Same as Video Share.

If you read 100%, it says it supports LIVE video too....

The point and argument is not the placement of the camera: Its having a camera on a 3G phone that does not support video calling.

osirisX    2

A good keynote if you ask me. My opinions:

iPhone3G: Very nice. GPS and such is awesome. The price is much better now. The plastic back looks a little cheap though.

iPod touch software upgrade: You get more for less this time round. Also doesn't feel like you were supposed to have all this from the start.

MobileMe: Awesome! What .Mac should have been.

Snow Leopard: Yes, I said they wouldn't do it. I also said they wouldn't release a WiFi enabled iPod and they wouldn't call the slim MacBook the MacBook Air. If it's coming out a year from now. That means it's almost 2 years after Leopard's release date. That is a much more stomachable timeframe if they are going to charge for it. Would be nice if Leopard users got some form of discount though.

Cara, where's the Mac Tablet?! :p

Cara    0
Cara, where's the Mac Tablet?! :p

In R&D Still, made a wonderful toss out though. ;)

funciona    0

Its too bad the iPod didnt get a revision.

IMO:

-WiFi

-Alot better quality in the audio section

-Larger storage or flash/HDD versions.

osirisX    2

I'd like to give a Hell Yeah! to multiple calendars in MobileCalendar.app