Neowin reshuffles its forums!

After a long debate with co-staff members and MVC's we have decided to make a few changes to the forum order.

We removed 64bit discussion topics into Software Discussion in the Help and Discussion Center

Web browser discussion was moved as a sub forum of Software Discussion

Removed Switchers and emptied the posts into their respective forums

The above were all low performing forums that didn't move too well.

"Off topic" forums such as General Discussion were moved back to the top of the forum (under the Announcements category)

Jokes and Funny Stuff, Neowinian Milestones and the Poll Station were moved to top level in that category (all good performing forums)

The forums that Guests can't see, such as Members Metropolis, NeoBay, Subscription Support and a hidden Subscriber discussion area were moved into their own category at the bottom, where General Discussion forums used to be.

The Programming forums were merged into the Help and Discussion Center and the web programming forums were changed to a more friendly name (Web Client and Server side help).

We also created a new area right at the bottom called Archive & Trash (this is where our trash can is, an IPB forum for deleted threads) that remains hidden for members, but there is the read only Archive of past Windows Betas and the Vanishing Point forum you can still access.

Back Page News, is now called Breaking News (BPN) and The Daily Hum was merged into "Real World News" with the sub sections Area 51 and Science Section.

This means we have a news category with 2 very clear objectives, Tech news in Breaking News (BPN) and everything else in Real World News.

I hope these changes are welcomed, but its been a long time coming!

excellent stuff. Nice to have GD back at the top.

I remember when General Discussion got moved down there; I kept on finding myself in a *totally* unexpected sub-forum! :)

This is weird, not quite sure on some of the relocation, but I think its probably more me than anything, been using the old layout for 4 years and just takes a bit of getting used to.

edit: Also, why was area 51 put into real world news? wouldn't it be more suitable under MM where it was, as most of it wasn't news but rumour and 'out there' discussion?

Edited by Coldgunner

personally i don't think NFN and RWI shouldn't of merged because RWI was more the controversial issues where as NWI was just the "standard" news topics.

Edit: fixed mistake.

personally i don't think NFN and RWI should of merged because RWI was more the controversial issues where as NWI was just the "standard" news topics.

Well RWI was a forum most staff wanted to get rid of, so changing it to just current non tech news still allows political news and debate just as much as a dog saving a mans life type news.

I think the changes are for the best, it will take me at least a day to adapt to this habitat though, other then that its all good.

:p

This looks cool. Good work Neowin staff/devs! :cool:

It will take a while to adapt, but I think it's more sensibly (?) laid out now. :yes:

Removed Switchers and emptied the posts into their respective forums

Yea! :)

When I was staff here, I never much cared for that very separate "switchers" area. And it was nearly impossible to tell whether a new Linux user's question should be in the regular forum or the switchers one. :ermm:

Good moves all-around, and on this one in particular. :yes:

Good job tidying up there! :D

I was just a bit sad to see The Daily Hum go as I thought it was a cool way to honour Hum's work, plus it was a reliable place to go for just that sort of news.

I noticed the changes this morning when I tried to go to the Programming subforum and it wasn't there.....found it in a second though

I like the new layout :yes: