[Football] Summer Transfers 2008

Here's what's happening at Emirates this summer:

Arsenal To Trial Greek Teen Karelis:

Ergotelis' teenage striker Nikos Karelis is thrilled with the opportunity of a trial with Arsene Wenger's Arsenal.

Arsenal Line-up Lille's Makoun To Replace Milan-Bound Flamini ? Gunners Face Competition From Tottenham: Agent

b>Lille midfielder Jean II Makoun's agent has claimed that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger wants to take his client to the Emirates Stadium if Mathieu Flamini leaves for AC Milan in the summer. Arsenal Boss Wenger Certain Flamini & Lehmann Are The Only Departures, Claims 220 Players Want To Join The Gunners

b>According to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, there will not be any more departures from north London following midfielder Mathieu Flamini agreeing move to AC Milan and goalkeeper Jens Lehmann also ending his contract at the end of the season. Olympique Lyon's Hatem Ben Arfa Admits Arsenal Talksb>

Hatem Ben Arfa, the Lyon midfielder has admitted that he has held talks with Arsenal to discuss a possible summer move to the Emirates... Arsenal Boss Arsene Wenger Applies For Work Permit For Mexican Striker Carlos Vela

b>Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger claimed that he has sent an application to gain a work permit for Mexican striker Carlos Vela, who has played for clubs like Salamanca and Osasuna in Spain while on-loan from the Gunners...

Apart from this I heard in a news programme on ESPN that Yaya Toure might be heading over to Arsena:woot:t: . According to reports.. he is "delighted" that he might get a chance to play alongside his brother at Arsenal! So I hope bye-bye Eboye..:devil:l:

The other changes I'd like to see are:

Walcott should be given more time on the pitch!

Gallas should be stripped of captaincy and it should be handed to Cesc or Gilberto Silva

Arsene should look to bye an experienced defender like Kompany, Mexes or Ayala

I hope they finally come to their senses and get rid of Adebeyor (Mr wasteful!!) and get Eto'o or Berbatov! (Drogba also a possibility) -- but I guess this is wishful thinkin:p:p

and get a good keeper like Brad Fridel, Oscar Cordoba or Hilderbrand

I dont think Cesc or Rosicky will leave us and with Eduardo coming back and some exciting signings we can give everyone a run for their money!

'Cmon Gunner!!!!!

Good news I doubt Arsene Wenger would buy an experienced defender!

It just goes to show the difference between the financial muscle of Chelsea and tight arses that are G&H. Chelsea buy a right back in Bosingwa for ?17 million, and Liverpool get a right back Degan on a free.

Liverpool are most likely going to have to sell to buy this summer. I can see us giving Villa Scott Carson and little bit of ? for Gareth Barry. Riise, Pennant and Crouch will be leaving that will generate some more funds for a left back and a backup striker.

In a dream world we would get Alves, Hamsik, and Quaresma/Silva for our problem positions.

Sometimes the freebies are the best signings.

Like Flamini :whistle:

Yeah the little sh*t.

We gave him everything he could ever want and his little feet decided to go play Uefa Cup football for a team inferior to Arsenal.

He even went on a free, bustard he is.

Hope he enjoys his time in Italy and I would like to thank him for his time at Arsenal.

He will join the long line of flops and those that beg to come back to Arsenal, like Henry.

Never go back and treat them like ex girl friends, they are an ex for a reason.

I hope Hleb does leave, Arsenal have enough play-makers and not enough goal scorers.

To be benched:

Eboue 'Absolute useless'.

Hleb 'If he doesn't go'.

Robin Van Persie 'Atleast till he gets himself back together, have him on as a sub for a while. The future is Theo!'.

To be given more first team:

Theo Walcott 'This lad will deliver, that is a fact. He puts Eboue to shame.'

Nicolas Bentner 'Well he isn't the best player, but after him saving us..He deserves it.'

Denilson 'Flamini has gone, he deserves some more plays.

Abou Diaby 'He's waited enough, once he's fit he is a very strong player.'

Traore 'Maybe!'.

To be brought:

Ashley younge

Gabriel Agbonlahor

Matthew Upson

Stuart Downing

Gareth Barry

Joe Hart

Strip Gallas from the captain band, hand it Cesc or Kolo.

This is one of the worst posts I have ever read, in terms of your suggestions particularly, who you say we should buy and who to be given more first team action and who we should bench.

You cannot be serious especially with benching "Hleb" and saying Wenger should leave Van Persie on the bench when he's fit.

Eto'o to Utd...that is a pretty good shout actually. I could see it happening.

In an idea world though he would come to Liverpool, he has a world class goal scoring record, and would be a nice backup to El Nino ;)

Eto'o is not a backup player. You need a second striker in that department - thats all.

Here's what's happening at Emirates this summer:

Arsenal To Trial Greek Teen Karelis:

Ergotelis' teenage striker Nikos Karelis is thrilled with the opportunity of a trial with Arsene Wenger's Arsenal.

Arsenal Line-up Lille's Makoun To Replace Milan-Bound Flamini – Gunners Face Competition From Tottenham: Agent

Lille midfielder Jean II Makoun's agent has claimed that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger wants to take his client to the Emirates Stadium if Mathieu Flamini leaves for AC Milan in the summer.

Arsenal Boss Wenger Certain Flamini & Lehmann Are The Only Departures, Claims 220 Players Want To Join The Gunners

According to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, there will not be any more departures from north London following midfielder Mathieu Flamini agreeing move to AC Milan and goalkeeper Jens Lehmann also ending his contract at the end of the season.

Olympique Lyon's Hatem Ben Arfa Admits Arsenal Talks

Hatem Ben Arfa, the Lyon midfielder has admitted that he has held talks with Arsenal to discuss a possible summer move to the Emirates...

Arsenal Boss Arsene Wenger Applies For Work Permit For Mexican Striker Carlos Vela

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger claimed that he has sent an application to gain a work permit for Mexican striker Carlos Vela, who has played for clubs like Salamanca and Osasuna in Spain while on-loan from the Gunners...

Apart from this I heard in a news programme on ESPN that Yaya Toure might be heading over to Arsenal :woot: . According to reports.. he is "delighted" that he might get a chance to play alongside his brother at Arsenal! So I hope bye-bye Eboye... :devil:

The other changes I'd like to see are:

Walcott should be given more time on the pitch!

Gallas should be stripped of captaincy and it should be handed to Cesc or Gilberto Silva

Arsene should look to bye an experienced defender like Kompany, Mexes or Ayala

I hope they finally come to their senses and get rid of Adebeyor (Mr wasteful!!) and get Eto'o or Berbatov! (Drogba also a possibility) -- but I guess this is wishful thinking :p

and get a good keeper like Brad Fridel, Oscar Cordoba or Hilderbrand

I dont think Cesc or Rosicky will leave us and with Eduardo coming back and some exciting signings we can give everyone a run for their money!

'Cmon Gunner!!!!!

Nice copy and paste, Flamini already left.

It seems to me that so far we have been strongly linked with Hatem Ben Arfa & Samir Nasri, it definitely looks like we'll at least be getting one of them.

In terms of Flamini's replacement we've been linked with Makoun, Keita (Seville), Aquilani & Veleso. Aquilani seems to be the one who looks like we'll be getting as we tried to sign him last year.

Eboue 'Absolute useless'.<---- Is great on his day, however he is a frustrating dirty player.

Hleb 'If he doesn't go'.<---- Will go soon enough

Robin Van Persie 'Atleast till he gets himself back together, have him on as a sub for a while. The future is Theo!'.<---- Van Persie is going to Barca.

If he does, well at least we can replace him with a player not injured two seasons running.

Ashley younge

Gabriel Agbonlahor

Matthew Upson<---- Used to play for Arsenal, so he went for a reason.

Stuart Downing

Gareth Barry <---- He will goto Liverpool

Joe Hart

Birmingham's on-loan striker Mauro Zarate is having discussions with Portsmouth over a possible move to Fratton Park, BBC Sport understands.

However, the FA Cup winners have yet to agree a fee with the 21-year-old's parent club, Al-Saad of Qatar.

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp is believed to be "very keen" to land Zarate who scored four goals for relegated Blues.

The Argentine, who joined on loan in January until the end of the season, scored four goals for relegated Blues.

Last week, Birmingham boss Alex McLeish paid tribute to the striker.

"Mauro's going to be an attractive proposition to Premier League clubs, in fact I know he is," he told the Birmingham Mail.

"I would like to thank him for his spell here, and he made an impact, which was never going to be easy.

"It was a little bit of a risk bringing him in from a league where you can get away with things, be lazy and still look like a world class star, coming into the hurly-burly of the Premier League.

"So I applaud his spirit, his heart and he will be a good asset to one of the big clubs, if not here then abroad."

Sometimes the freebies are the best signings.

Yeah, Voronin was a belter of a free signing :rolleyes:.

More than often you get what you pay for. See, Torres for ?20 million and Voronin for free.

Eto'o is not a backup player. You need a second striker in that department - thats all.

Did you not read the rest of the thread? I said I was joking, and hence the wink in my original post.

Udinese defender Andrea Dossena is close to agreeing a move to Liverpool, according to reports in Italy.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is on the lookout for a left-back to bolster his squad as it is expected John Arne Riise is set to leave Anfield this summer.

Tottenham are also chasing ?9million-rated Dossena's signature and it is understood that the North London club had a bid rejected in the January transfer window.

However, it is rumoured that Udinese sporting director Pietro Leonardi recently flew to England to discuss a possible transfer with Liverpool.

The Reds, though, would face a battle to land 26-year-old Dossena as Serie A giants Juventus are also seeking close-season reinforcements.

Dossena, who has made one appearance for Italy, has played 63 games for Udinese since joining from Treviso in 2006 and he has scored two goals in that time.

--

Real Madrid have reportedly joined the race to prise Alexander Helb away from Arsenal after making tentative contact with the player's represenatives.

The Spanish giants are set to compete with Internazionale and Barcelona, who have already expressed their interest following Hleb's reported willingness to quit Emirates Stadium.

Hleb is thought to be prepared to break his contract with Arsenal and buy out his current deal in order to enjoy one last major pay day at one of the continent's elite.

According to a report in Spain, the Gunners are prepared to offer the 27-year-old ?75,000-a-week (?60,000) to try and persuade him to stay, but that would be eclipsed by the ?125,000-a-week (?100,000) on offer from Inter.

Madrid are also prepared to meet that amount after sporting director Predrag Mijatovic joined the Hleb fan club and is keen to see him bolster the right side of Madrid's midfield.

According to AS, if Hleb were to leave then that would cause Cesc Fabregas to become concerned about the direction that the north London outfit are heading in.

Along with Mathieu Flamini, the Catalan midfielder and Hleb were close friends and if it appears that Arsenal are taking a step back then he could well consider his own future at Emirates Stadium next year.

Barcelona have also made their intentions clear by informing the player's agents that they would meet his demands as the club look to continue their summer rebuilding programme.

Camp Nou technical secretary, Txiki Begiristain, has been tracking Hleb for some time and the Catalan press believe that an official approach will be made as soon as Inter make their move.

--

Arsenal are closing in on a triple French swoop with Samir Nasri, Clement Chantome and Francis Coquelin all understood to be on the verge of moving to North London.

The biggest of the three deals is that of Nasri - who only recently signed a new long-term contract with Marseille.

But l'OM have agreed to let him leave as they hope to sign Hatem Ben Arfa from Lyon as a replacement.

Arsenal, who also have an interest in Ben Arfa, have agreed a deal for Nasri believed to be worth 15million euros (?11.9million).

Nasri is expected in the English capital on Wednesday for a medical before signing a four-year deal.

Ben Arfa's move looks closer after Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas confirmed he could leave and admitted he would rather he joined l'OM than a foreign club.

"I am not opposed to Hatem's transfer to l'OM. My idea is very clear, with the same offers, I will prefer my player to join a French club than a foreign club.

"French Football has to get more and more competitive teams for both Le Championnat and European Cups."

Aulas then admitted that Arsenal are one of two Premier League clubs to make contact with him about Ben Arfa.

"But I have not been contacted by l'OM officials yet," he said. "There is also interest from two English clubs, notably Arsenal."

While Wenger is a fan of both Nasri and Ben Arfa - the l'OM man has always been his preference and it appears he is now close to capturing him.

PSG bid

Nasri's signing is likely to be followed by the arrivals of Clement Chantome and Francis Coquelin.

Chantome was one of the few Paris Saint Germain players to come out of last season with any plaudits after a string of impressive displays in central midfield.

The 22-year-old has been likened to Mathieu Flamini and Wenger is reported to have met with the French Under 21 international in the last week.

Coquelin - who is with third division Laval, has been on trial with Arsenal and although he picked up an injury during training - the 17-year-old seems to have done enough to earn a deal.

It is believed Coquelin is currently in London undergoing a medical ahead of a deal.

Meanwhile, Arsenal have also handed a trial to Ghanaian starlet Tawrick Jibril.

The 16-year-old is currently with Hearts of Oak and has been linked with Atletico Madrid.

Jibril will link-up with Arsenal in July and will hope to make an impression on Wenger.

Arsenal only have a new stadium debt surrounding them. Maybe around ?262,000,000

We can make back that money and even out our finances as Alisher Usmanov is interested in buying a huge stake in Arsenal, then add upon that David Dein

is working with American billionaire Stan Kroenke also wanting to max up his stake in Arsenal.

We still have the sale of players, the sale of the property built at the Highbury site and Arsenal are starting to crack into the Indian market, the Chinese market and other areas

of Asia to which Manchester United were the main players.

So the future is bright.

Ronaldo is going to Madrid, Lampard to Internationale.

Ronaldo can only do his stuff against poorer teams and Lampard is not as good as his dad was.

Hleb I am resigned to see go soon, he has to buy out his contract and we should make a packet on that.

Carlos Vela has received clearance to begin his belated Arsenal career and will be with the squad for pre-season training.

The Mexican international signed a five-year contract with the Gunners in November 2005, but was barred from joining up with his new team-mates by Fifa legislation.

As a result, he has been forced to spend the last few years on loan in Spain with Celta Vigo, Salamanca and Osasuna.

However, with Arsene Wenger keen to bring the teenager into the first-team fold at Emirates Stadium, he has finally been grated a work permit to play in England.

"Despite the critics that we have received for making Carlos play at Celta Vigo, Salamanca and Osasuna, these spells have been very important for preparing for life in the Premier League," said Vela's agent Eduardo Hernandez.

Yeah I won't be posting here now because Martyn had a hissy fit last night over a certain red team (not liverpool) winning ;)

Yeah I won't be posting here now because Martyn had a hissy fit last night over a certain red team (not liverpool) winning ;)

Good.

Bloody John Terry :p

I just don't see the point in posting every small link.

If people where interested in all the transfer links in the footballing world surely they would choose someplace other than Neowin to find them? Sure, if it is a big link and deserves discussion then that is great...

Well what is classed as a big link?

Might as well scrap the post all together, tell you the truth, I don't go looking at other clubs transfer targets I'd rather come here and have a bit of a chat.

Well what is classed as a big link?

Might as well scrap the post all together, tell you the truth, I don't go looking at other clubs transfer targets I'd rather come here and have a bit of a chat.

Yeah I post other clubs because there are some members on here that don't support the big 4 so it would be nice to see what they think when rumours are released and such, we'll keep this going chatting about whats news like Drogba leaving wait that hasn't happened....yet :p

The Telegraph reported yesterday..

"Arsenal's ?12 million bid for Marseille playmaker Samir Nasri could be derailed at the last minute after the attacking midfielder's agent disclosed that he was also considering other offers, one of which is believed to be from Lyon.

Reports in France last night indicated that the 20-year-old would be signing for Arsenal "within hours", but his agent, Jean-Pierre Bernes, said: "No agreement has been finalised. It's true we are looking into a bid by Arsenal that interests Nasri in sporting terms, but it's also true that other offers have entered my office.""

I think he would be better off at Arsenal they could give him the style of football he knows.