• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[OSx86] I Hope Apple stops these OSX86 installs

Euphoria    2,006

If people want to install OsX on their hardware I would let them do it. I dont see one reason for Apple to "stop" or "forbid" people to install their OS on other hardware. Will it work out of the box as on Mac hardware? Most likely not, but some people do it as a challenge, a side project. I've install multiple OS's over different hardware and I dont see a reason not to do it with Apple's OS, if that is what I want to do.

And If I make it work good for me.

These kind of requests from people are just so irritating and obnoxious. Let people do what they want to do, after all they've paid for the OS. As long as I am concerned they can microwave their disk if they want, and it wont hurt my feelings.

+Fahim S.    1,087
Then simply move into the Windows style online activation - since every Mac has a distinct serial number making a database should be a trivial task. then the little pirates could no longer hide behind the "EULA" as they would be forced to reverse engineer and patch the activation system.

I find it humorous how people come and tell me "Yeah I run hackintosh i bought leopard yayayaya" only to see them brag on another thread how they warezed it from Mininova or Piratebay. Yeah I bet you guys all bought it. I believe that, completely. I bet you also have 5 macbook pros and a few mac pros at your desk, you're just running hackintosh "for fun".

Seriously you want WGA style functionality in OS/X?

CelticWhisper    6
I suggest a much more drastic measure - take the TPM chip that is being used in every Mac into good use - when a pirated copy is detected, format all the drives.

**** the pirates.

Bad, bad idea.

The legality of EULA's is questionable, especially outside the United States. Formatting someone's disks, however, is much more universally frowned-upon (can be classified as anything from vandalism on up to malicious unauthorized intrusion, which carries up to a life sentence in the US) and could hurt Apple badly if it destroyed the wrong kind of data or even just the wrong person's data.

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

personally i dont mind activation in windows ( when it actually is able to contact the servers/works)

and i think the Psudo-Activation is already in OSX through the register function when first installing OSX

Miuku.    364

If it helps to stop these freeloaders? Bring it on.

Darran    0

I don't think Apple sue even companies like Psystar because they are curious as to what could happen with OSX86. It could be a viral revolution against Windows. You never know.

Julius Caro    55
as far as its legalese, i dont think any EULA has ever held up in court

because they suck, everybody knows nobody reads them, and prosecuting your potential customers it's something companies usually dont do. except for the music industry, but we all know how deep that ship will sink :D

+Fahim S.    1,087

I have no issues with WGA (and never have I), but I thought the number of people complaining about this in the Windows world would dissuade the Apple crowd....

true, but making OSX support the vast array ( i wont deny it ) of hardware that windows supports, it will ( highly probable ) lead the the same issues of windows as far as stability, unless apple makes all the drivers themselves instead of the windows route of hardware vendors making the drivers. ( i think apple makes the drivers for the hardware in their machines, not fully shure )

I don't think Apple sue even companies like Psystar because they are curious as to what could happen with OSX86. It could be a viral revolution against Windows. You never know.

Miuku.    364
As I mentioned in our announcement, Apple does not even remove discussions from their own servers: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1282871

You forgot to notice that: This topic is locked - replies are not allowed.

It was locked even if it wasn't deleted.

they barely go in there as it is

As I mentioned in our announcement, Apple does not even remove discussions from their own servers: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1282871

I'll fix that.

Joe User    491

They really don't have a legal leg to stand on to sue Psystar and hope to win. The best they can do is keep suing until they run out of cash.

Wait until people start putting the EFI code in firmware so that Apple can't tell the difference between an OSX86 and Mac. Now that will be entertaining.

Also, on a side note, could the people that "know everyone is pirating OSX" please use their amazing psychic powers and email me next week's lottery numbers? I'll buy a mac with the winnings.

CelticWhisper    6

Except it won't. WGA has been cracked six ways 'til Sunday and it doesn't stop anyone anymore.

I have my G5 and OS X runs beautifully on it, but I don't have a problem with someone going into an Apple store, buying a retail copy of Leopard off the shelf, and running it on whatever hardware they want. EULAs never meant anything to me personally and as far as I'm concerned, so long as the software has been paid for and the hardware has been paid for, if someone can get them working together then more power to 'em. Apple's been paid for the software, the hardware manufacturer's been paid for the hardware, and making them work together is the same kind of feat that made geeks legends in the '80s - a hack, by the original definition.

Now, I completely agree that Apple should not be forced to provide service for unofficial/Hackintosh installs if they don't want to. I also agree that the negative reviews from people who run OSX86 should be ignored or treated with lesser regard than those reviews given by people running Apple hardware. However, Apple (or any other company for that matter) has no business telling people how to use the product they paid for once they pay for it. Call it a "license," call it whatever you want, I don't care. I bought the product, it's now mine, gityergoddamnhandsoff.

its 4 8 15 16 23 42

buy me a MacPro to go with my Macbook Pro please :)

Also, on a side note, could the people that "know everyone is pirating OSX" please use their amazing psychic powers and email me next week's lottery numbers? I'll buy a mac with the winnings.

1WayJonny    26

I hope this thread dies...

You should not care what people do in their homes specifically something as insignificant as a software install

your lives are jokes if you think this hard about something so simple

boohoo grow up

Edited by 1Way Jonny

Joe User    491
its 4 8 15 16 23 42

buy me a MacPro to go with my Macbook Pro please :)

No problemo. I'll use the rest of the money to buy my local Mr. Cluck's Chicken Shack franchise.

Nickyyy    0
If people want to install OsX on their hardware I would let them do it. I dont see one reason for Apple to "stop" or "forbid" people to install their OS on other hardware. Will it work out of the box as on Mac hardware? Most likely not, but some people do it as a challenge, a side project. I've install multiple OS's over different hardware and I dont see a reason not to do it with Apple's OS, if that is what I want to do.

And If I make it work good for me.

These kind of requests from people are just so irritating and obnoxious. Let people do what they want to do, after all they've paid for the OS. As long as I am concerned they can microwave their disk if they want, and it wont hurt my feelings.

+1

Seriously who gives a flying f**k what people do with the software and hardware they purchase? How the HELL will it effect anyone other than themselves. Seriously grow brains people and stop getting worked up over this, who cares? If you don't like it, don't read the threads, SIMPLE!

osirisX    2

I hope Apple keeps ignoring Hackintosh installs so I don't have to deal with bull**** like WGA.

kalkal    558

"then turn around and blame the OS"

Utter rubbish, most people know exactly what they're getting into when they decide to try installing osx86.

1759    1

Like MS, Apple would fail at OSX anti-piracy measures...it does nothing, but bug legit users.

alxz.310    0

Nothing's going to be 100% compatible with OSX86 so its a waste of time.

The only reason I see apple allowing such things to happen is maybe because they want people to look at the OS, try it out, see it doesnt work with their windows laptop and then buy a mac... but it could also make "other people" say osx sucks... which is just stupid, because you're hacking it to work on a computer which isnt a mac

funciona    0
Nothing's going to be 100% compatible with OSX86 so its a waste of time.

And nothing made for Windows is going to be 100% compatible on a Windows on a Mac machine.

See? Its the same thing.

bryonhowley    11
I suggest a much more drastic measure - take the TPM chip that is being used in every Mac into good use - when a pirated copy is detected, format all the drives.

**** the pirates.

Give the fact the the Mac Pro's and new Macbook Pro's doe not even have a TPM chip that would not do much good. The new rips are based off of the Mac Pro DVD. Even at that a lot of new motherboard have the same TPM chip on board. Hell my Hackintosh works better that my real IMac.

Borbus    1

It should be illegal for Apple to be able to sell a product then make somebody agree to a contract that does not let them use the product before they can use the product...

I don't think people are that stupid, though. Installing OSX on non-Apple hardware is clearly a hack and is never going to work perfectly. If anything it is doing Apple a favour because people can see the potential of the OS but it doesn't work properly, so they are more likely to open their wallet for Apple hardware (which is where they really make their money).

I personally think Apple know this which is why they won't make a huge effort to stop it. Same reason they recently took the activation crap out of their expensive software Logic Pro.

**** the pirates.

For a start, nobody is talking about pirates so your last sentence is unnecessary. If they put such a capability in the software there would be an uproar. Does anybody remember when cracked copies of Stardock's Windowblinds suddenly stopped working one day (rendering the whole machine inoperable for some people)? There was an uproar, and not just from the people with cracked copies.