• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[OSx86] I Hope Apple stops these OSX86 installs

Cormier6083    0
I hope this thread dies...

You should not care what people do in their homes specifically something as insignificant as a software install

your lives are jokes if you think this hard about something so simple

boohoo grow up

It's good to think about things.... meditation about the simplest things can bring joy and peace to your life...

or so I read in a book. :D

Lee G.    234
If it helps to stop these freeloaders? Bring it on.

It wouldn't help, as like Windows, it'll easily be cracked. And it may dissuade some people from using Mac. One of the attractions of Mac is that it doesn't have the activation measures that Windows has.

ring0    0

gee golly gosh, i agree. also, everybody knows that osx86 supporters are terrorists.

some people worry about the dumbest crap. seriously.

Davie    0

I did install OSX86 on my PC to try out Leopard about a month ago. I was quite lucky...all my hardware was supported and ran fine out of the box.

All I can say is that I wouldn't be using this new 20" iMac if that never happened =D

xp1ode    5

I've tried OSx86 before, kept it for about 3 months or so, played around with the OS and some free apps that are OSX exclusive. I had been wanting to try OSX for while and when i finally got it running i decided to ditch my Linux box for the time that i used it, and i must say the only thing i liked about the OS for simple stuff such as surfing, day to day things, pictures, music and other simple stuff, was the look of it and some of the apps they have exclusive. I ended up getting rid of it because it just didn't do things the way i wanted it to, i felt like Linux is just better for home use, and for anything else i throw at it. Of course like i said i only use OS X for basic surfing and small things so in that perspective i didn't find anything special about it. I see sometimes people talk about the OS as if is something out of this world, well i can honestly say that i tried it (it worked flawlessly on my hardware btw) and didn't find it that great. I think my Linux box is just as powerful if not better, and i can custimize linux to anything i want it to do.

Now don't take this as a bashing post about OS X, this if course is my opinion, i didn't really like the OS so i got rid of it and have gone back to linux. I had been a Windows user for about 7 years, but now that i have linux everything is just so much better, the support the community, the OS i mean just everything is way better than Windows and OS X. But for those that want to try out OS X and is in a legal way go ahead and do so, as we have already seen there have been alot of converts, and while you are at it, give Linux a try you won't be dissapointed with any of the distro you may try now-a-days...

gnuman    14

I agree I hope this thread dies already I'm tired of hearing people bitch and complain about this. BTW it is much easier for me to test out stuff running in VMware so if I did have hackintosh running I can switch between the guest OSes I have.

DigitalE    10
I Hope Apple stops these OSX86 installs

And I hope Nintendo stops people from playing NES games via emulator :p

briangw    121
People that are installing OSX on unsupported platforms are going to have alot of issues, then turn around and blame the OS

i can see alot of " OSX sux because it keeps crashing on my AMD64 w/512 DDR "

only saying this because there are already what 3 or 4 threads of people not beign able to get stuff installed properly or askign how to work the OSX86 project ( even though there are probably tutorials on the site

Maybe so, but the majority of hackintosh users know where they can get support from these hackintosh sites. Just looking at the OSX86 Project site yields thousands of posts for help/support.

S550    97

I cant figure out why so many people care.

Death Blade    0

i can't imagine myself touching a mac in the near future unless i'm paid millions. so now windows being installed on mac is ok, but OSX on PCs are not allowed?

Edited by bmaher

offroadaaron    230

lol this is funny, mac people bitching. I for one think its a great idea to do this if you can. Why wouldn't you!!??!!?!

People have been doing this before neowin allowed it, they just werent allow to talk about it here.

PyX    140
i can't imagine myself touching a mac in the near future unless i'm paid millions. so now windows being installed on mac is ok, but OSX on PCs are not allowed? get a life.

They don't want to make 10 0000 0000 drivers and then lose control, so they simply add "not allowed to be installed on non-apple hardware" and it's fine. I call this intelligent more than anything else actually.

Cara    0
lol this is funny, mac people bitching. I for one think its a great idea to do this if you can. Why wouldn't you!!??!!?!

People have been doing this before neowin allowed it, they just werent allow to talk about it here.

I think this is a topic where Apple users and OSX86 users will end up having to agree to disagree on as many feel that there are more problems and potential harms to OSX86 than benefits and I highly doubt anyone from one side will convince the other that they are wrong. This is just one of those issues that everyone will have a viewpoint on. :)

Clete2    0
yes im fully aware of that thread and still won't condone to individuals who seek to force OSX to work on non-Apple Hardware.

get a bloody mac or stay away from OSX, the EULA is set in place for specific reasons.

Not that I am saying that it's right to do it illegally, but:

The same people who complain about that are the ones who breach EULAs (like Windows' EULA. One license, one computer. Non-transferable even if it is removed from that one computer).

Scirwode    18

I doubt people who install OS X on their PC's have very zero knowledge of how to use their computer :p . I'm sure they at least have a basic knowledge of what they're doing before making the plunge. So I think it's a mute point, really.

And I hope Nintendo stops people from playing NES games via emulator :p

Now that would be a tragedy :laugh: !

Scirwode

Windam    0

While I can see the good in the OSx86 project; in the end

You are just degrading the experience a Mac would bring you if your system doesn't fully support the OS(examples: drivers and IO parameters for sleep mode)

I mean I'm building a new setup and I can't help but think putting Leopard on that baby. Cause the money I'll spend on it will be equivalent to a Mac(spec wise) @ the same time I don't want to buy a Mac desktop because it's not fun buying a computer you can't put together or upgrade significant parts (gpu and cpu for example).

However I have my eye on the MBP down the road

The_Decryptor    1,105
gee golly gosh, i agree. also, everybody knows that osx86 supporters are terrorists.

some people worry about the dumbest crap. seriously.

This.

I think it comes down to "But, It's my OS, you shouldn't have it, whaaa!". And just saying everybody using it is a pirate is silly.

NEVER85    248
i can't imagine myself touching a mac in the near future unless i'm paid millions. so now windows being installed on mac is ok, but OSX on PCs are not allowed?

I've seen you make the same posts about Vista. What DO you like? Seriously.

While I can see the good in the OSx86 project; in the end

You are just degrading the experience a Mac would bring you if your system doesn't fully support the OS(examples: drivers and IO parameters for sleep mode)

But if it does fully support the OS, and you can run it on a PC that costs half that of a Mac, I don't see the problem.

Mr. Gibs    3,865

This is sad.

If you guys get so worked up over someone installing OSX on a windows PC...maybe it's time you got a life?

I mean honestly. Does like Apple pay your bills, your taxes, your insurance policy etc, that you guys worship everything apple to death? And seem to think OSX86 is some sort of a satanic thing?

Unless you work for apple, or like i said above ^...quit acting like some sort of cult.

---

Regarding what you said about people who will claim that mac is bad just because they installed OSX86 and it didn't turn out well....you are a complete and utter idiot. Most people know what they are getting into, and are willing to accept it. There are also a lot of people who have computers in which everything works fine.

Typhon    0
People that are installing OSX on unsupported platforms are going to have alot of issues, then turn around and blame the OS

i can see alot of " OSX sux because it keeps crashing on my AMD64 w/512 DDR "

only saying this because there are already what 3 or 4 threads of people not beign able to get stuff installed properly or askign how to work the OSX86 project ( even though there are probably tutorials on the site

Now you know why Windows is bashed.

Cormier6083    0

Because it will become crap just like Windows!!??!!?!

Unless you work for apple, or like i said above ^...quit acting like some sort of cult.

A lot of people are Apple stockholders. Just selling OS X hurts business. Imagine all the complaint calls, returns, the floods at Apple Stores. This is not whether or not we are a cult, this is business. Apple's reputation can't be hurt by 13 year old obese kids and teenagers who think that MySpace and their cell phone is their life who are tottaly clueless about computers. This whole OSX86 project causes nothing but confusion.

Imran Hussain    0

And I hope Apple makes OS X available legally for all computers! Amen to that! :D

crazzyyfool    29

I personally think Neowin should not have changed the rules on generic OSX86 installs and kept those discussions for the likes of http://www.insanelymac.com/

darkz    12

if anyone wants it, let them

what are you a ****ing facist?

only way os x can "become crap like windows" is when apple will make it that crappy. you can't ruin an os by installing it on an unsupported platform, sure it will be more unstable than one on supported plat., but what the hell else you could expect

Cormier6083    0
only way os x can "become crap like windows" is when apple will make it that crappy. you can't ruin an os by installing it on an unsupported platform, sure it will be more unstable than one on supported plat., but what the hell else you could expect

Why are there viruses on Windows?