• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New Macbook in August?

Cara    0
Some people take things so seriously...

I don't. ;) 4 out of 5 people tell me I'm very laid back, the 5th one I killed and fed to hungry Dogs but he wasn't right anyway.

Wannes    38
Some people take things so seriously...

Don't take it as "too serious" but rather as a clarification. Not in name of Cara but a personal opinion. :)

PyX    140

I know you didn't Cara. I was talking about Couch Potato

Shadrack    601
There will always be new Macs right around the corner (well except for the mini) if you can wait for a month or two and see what happens then do it.

It seems like Apple is updating their Mac line-up on quite the regular basis these days. Back in the early part of this decade, one could say that an Apple Computer retains its value better than a PC....I can't help but wonder how much this statement has been diminished in recent years due to Apple releasing new Mac's every quarter (or so it seems).

Wannes    38
I know you didn't Cara. I was talking about Couch Potato

I'm one serious fella. ( No, see PM )

careless_monkey    6
It seems like Apple is updating their Mac line-up on quite the regular basis these days. Back in the early part of this decade, one could say that an Apple Computer retains its value better than a PC....I can't help but wonder how much this statement has been diminished in recent years due to Apple releasing new Mac's every quarter (or so it seems).

Yes that is what it is.. Apple always puts the Intel chips in earlier than other PC Manufacturers.

New chips being shipped in July what made me think of new Macbooks being released before the 'Back to school' offer.

The Laughing Man    442
Yes that is what it is.. Apple always puts the Intel chips in earlier than other PC Manufacturers.

New chips being shipped in July what made me think of new Macbooks being released before the 'Back to school' offer.

Imo this is getting out of hand, kind of annoys me as well, to me when i purchased my Powerbook G4 17" back in the day it was a top of the line mac for over 4 years. Now I purchased a Macbook Pro 15"" in December, and I think its 3 revisions old now, What gives, I bought this mac so it wouldnt be out dated every 4 months I am disappointed. Stupid crumbling cookie.

PyX    140
Imo this is getting out of hand, kind of annoys me as well, to me when i purchased my Powerbook G4 17" back in the day it was a top of the line mac for over 4 years. Now I purchased a Macbook Pro 15"" in December, and I think its 3 revisions old now, What gives, I bought this mac so it wouldnt be out dated every 4 months I am disappointed. Stupid crumbling cookie.

That's the punishment we get for the Grand Switch to Intel.

.Neo    1,834

I'm glad the iMac already got its Centrino 2-like upgrade. I know it's a modified Santa Rosa chipsets but speed-wise it matches the official Centrino 2 specs (1066 MHZ FSB, 3.06 GHz CPU).

Blackice    0

New MacBooks would be awesome. I bought one a couple of months ago, and I love it (it's the black one). Only issue is the screen hinge, which seems a little wobbly. I've got AppleCare, so I'll send it in for repairs when the new ones come in (fingers crossed...)

What I'd really like to see, though, are updated desktop keyboards. The current ones are great, but how much sexier would a backlit one be?

joyntkid    0

When I bought my first MBP a couple years ago, they intro'd new ones a few weeks later.

I bought it refurb to begin with to save money, and i also got i think $250 back when I called about the new models.

So if you just wanna save some money like i did, buy one right before they intro the new ones.

But foreal, who doesn't want the newest model?

Cara    0

Now my question to you is, does your MacBook Pro still perform good? Honestly how much different is it than the version that I'm using today?

I know the price of innovation is that someone will always be left feeling their purchase is no longer top of the line, however would you rather have a product line that is stagnant or a product line that continues to evolve, produce newer and more powerful equipment to insure the continuation of the line?

In the rapidly changing world of technology, quarterly updates are the price we pay...if we didn't have updates I feel there would be more people (than there already are) asking why they have to pay so much for an 'Out of Date' MacBook Pro.

Ashiaveli    0

I have the base model of the latest MPB. If they updated it to be 2.6C2D I wouldn't be upset really. I'm upset that this MBP didn't come with the Apple Remote since I'm paying 2 grand for laptop and they can't include a $20 remote?

In any case, there is always something new on the horizon. It's not like each revision doubles the overall speed of the computers. Stuff like an LED screen is what I consider a real hardware upgrade.

amcl    0
I have the base model of the latest MPB. If they updated it to be 2.6C2D I wouldn't be upset really. I'm upset that this MBP didn't come with the Apple Remote since I'm paying 2 grand for laptop and they can't include a $20 remote?

In any case, there is always something new on the horizon. It's not like each revision doubles the overall speed of the computers. Stuff like an LED screen is what I consider a real hardware upgrade.

I'm really hoping for exactly that in the next mb refresh, LED screens. The X4500 integrated graphics boost for Montevina certainly will not hurt either. The better integrated graphics should future proof a bit in terms of smoother desktop acceleration across future OS X revisions. If they do put the 2nd gen of Penryn in there aswell, then a tad more battery life and hopefully some reduced heat is always a good thing from the more power efficient chip/chipset.

Laura    146

So you just want top of the line for the elite status? I wouldn't call your machine outdated when I'm sure that compared to the general market it still holds its own. Other people getting fancier machines isn't going to impact on what my particular computer can/can't do - or yours. Be happy with what you have, it's still a much better computer than many people can hope to afford :)

At the end of the day, Apple would look pretty stupid if they didn't make these regular revisions and upgrades, especially if they seriously want to compete with the Windows market. I wouldn't have wanted to buy a brand new laptop for ?800 using last years technology, nevermind four year old technology, and I'm sure many people feel the same.

sn00pie    2

The problem is if you buy one month early and they come out with a .2 ghz faster model that looks the same no big deal, if its a total redesign then bummer. :(

Cara    0
The problem is if you buy one month early and they come out with a .2 ghz faster model that looks the same no big deal, if its a total redesign then bummer. :(

However what if you put off buying a new machine to catch the new redesign and then when it hits you find out that you hate the way a black border looks on everything, or the way that dyed aluminum looks by comparison to the formerly clean lines, or what if you find yourself sacrificing previously used components such as an optical drive to an external device to make things look cleaner?

Buy what you want, what you need, when you want it and can afford it for tomorrow no one knows what might happen to those products. :)

MrFuji    2
However what if you put off buying a new machine to catch the new redesign and then when it hits you find out that you hate the way a black border looks on everything, or the way that dyed aluminum looks by comparison to the formerly clean lines, or what if you find yourself sacrificing previously used components such as an optical drive to an external device to make things look cleaner?

To be honest, imo Apple is one of those rare companies that don't disimprove their products in function or design (based on what I know, i.e. iPods / Mac's). I guess I would always wait a week or so if I know that new Apple product's are on their way :)

Oh well, I just realized that my 3rd Gen Nano has the glossy back of the 1st Gen... weakened my own argument :pinch:

Edited by MrFuji

wase4711    0

Buy what you want, what you need, when you want it and can afford it for tomorrow no one knows what might happen to those products. :)

AMEN BROTHER!!

For most of my adult life, I was one of those fools that bought a new PC every year, wanting to be at the "top of the heap" so to speak, but, I always felt like a chump, since everything WINTEL changes constantly..

One of the MAJOR reasons I switched to Mac was that the machines I bought are upgradeable, and, they do everything I could possibly want for the next few years...

Design changes are nice, but a black laptop doesn't run any faster than a white one, and if you want more performance from an Mac, its easy to add a hard drive, or throw more memory in.

couldn't agree with Cara more on this one, get what you want, when you want it, and when you can afford it...

Quillz    1,011
One of the MAJOR reasons I switched to Mac was that the machines I bought are upgradeable, and, they do everything I could possibly want for the next few years...

PCs are just as easily upgradeable and also last for the next few years...

offroadaaron    230
PCs are just as easily upgradeable and also last for the next few years...

This is a lie, because you can put the newest OS on a PPC mac that has 888mhz (is that right?). Now how would that fair up against Vista. Yes Apple upgrade to stay up to date, but they don't disown or look over the older systems. I have had my laptop for a year now MBP ATI x1600 model and it is still in perfect condition, like new, and works soooooo quick. And it still looks new, most laptops start looking old and shotty after a year.

careless_monkey    6
This is a lie, because you can put the newest OS on a PPC mac that has 888mhz (is that right?). Now how would that fair up against Vista. Yes Apple upgrade to stay up to date, but they don't disown or look over the older systems. I have had my laptop for a year now MBP ATI x1600 model and it is still in perfect condition, like new, and works soooooo quick. And it still looks new, most laptops start looking old and shotty after a year.

Very true...

I tried installing Vista Basic on my 4yr old Compaq Laptop. It did not giving some ridiculous errors.

But then i tried installing Leopard on the same laptop.. and it just works like a charm. Although, I can't disagree on a few applications crashin.. but still the way it works on this thing only amazes me.

Stayin up-to-date ,even after 3-4 years, is what made me choose apple over PC. :)

Quillz    1,011

I've put Vista on a 2005 laptop. I've also put it on a 2004 desktop. Also, with a PC, I can get into the innards and swap out any hardware I want. You can't do that very easily with a Mac, and some, such as the Air, literally cannot be upgraded at all. You can't even change the battery. There's more to a computer than just the OS, and to say that upgrading PCs "is a lie" is just ignorant.

Also, my 2006 Dell Inspiron E1405 looks brand new. Unlike some, I tend to take care of my expensive hardware. I also prefer the durable polycarbonate of the Dell and MacBook to the pitted aluminum of the MacBook Pro. Aluminum gets pitted very quickly and can look old and shotty after a year.

Cara    0
I've put Vista on a 2005 laptop. I've also put it on a 2004 desktop. Also, with a PC, I can get into the innards and swap out any hardware I want. You can't do that very easily with a Mac, and some, such as the Air, literally cannot be upgraded at all. You can't even change the battery. There's more to a computer than just the OS, and to say that upgrading PCs "is a lie" is just ignorant.

Also, my 2006 Dell Inspiron E1405 looks brand new. Unlike some, I tend to take care of my expensive hardware. I also prefer the durable polycarbonate of the Dell and MacBook to the pitted aluminum of the MacBook Pro. Aluminum gets pitted very quickly and can look old and shotty after a year.

Just for the record, the Dell E-Series (Next line after the Latitude D-Series) is Brushed, Dyed, Anodized Aluminum so obviously they thought something of Aluminum. ;)

I found it oddly entertaining you picked the Air to compare given it's specialty nature...

offroadaaron    230

The Mac Pros you can upgrade everything easily, the mini macs and can upgrade easily, macbook pros and macbooks both can be upgraded.... I don't know about imacs.

So i really don't know what your on about, and also upgrading these days is almost useless anyways and a waste of money.

if your going to bring the air into it then why don't we talk about Asus eeepc?

Edited by offroadaaron