New Macbook in August?

Well Montevina has been released today, maybe we will hear something from Apple in the next few days? :D

Haha, one can only hope. I don't think it's gonna be this month though; maybe MBP in August and MB in September or at least that's what I hope for :p

I just got my Macbook a week ago, following the "need it, get it now" mantra and I have to say.. i just love it. I won't really be saddened even if apple releases new series of machines before the BtS offer ends.

In my opinion, go buy one if u need it now.. or wait for a refresh if u can :D

I spent some time using a MacBook today, and I really fell in love with OS X instantly. But my only gripe was the perspective I was standing at above the MacBook made it really hard to see the screen clearly, like the colours were off and it just wasn't great.

However when I stood infront of the 24" iMac and used it, it was a whole different experience. :p

I spent some time using a MacBook today, and I really fell in love with OS X instantly. But my only gripe was the perspective I was standing at above the MacBook made it really hard to see the screen clearly, like the colours were off and it just wasn't great.

However when I stood infront of the 24" iMac and used it, it was a whole different experience. :p

You know, while at an Apple Store this morning, had to swap an iPhone for a friend, I noticed that too... I made the suggestion they move them to the higher side benches and the manager, who was kind enough to show up 3 hours early, said he'd talk to his regional and so on and so forth.

I think the laptops are placed to low since they don't have chairs...

Yeah, definitely. It gives the illusion that something is wrong with the screens. The 24" iMac screen is out of this world though. So crisp and clear. :D

Yeah, definitely. It gives the illusion that something is wrong with the screens. The 24" iMac screen is out of this world though. So crisp and clear. :D

...and then you look at a 30-inch cinema display and can't seem to remember what the 24-inch screen looked like... ;)

Well if you buy a cinema display the only thing your gonna see is the immense whole burning through your pocket. :rofl:

I told my Husband I wanted Dual 30-inchers...I'll spare you the joke he made in return. ;)

Lovely screens though.

I told my Husband I wanted Dual 30-inchers...I'll spare you the joke he made in return. ;)

Lovely screens though.

ROFL

But as an Apple Employee, do you have special rebates? The same thing as Educational rebates maybe, or a little better?

ROFL

But as an Apple Employee, do you have special rebates? The same thing as Educational rebates maybe, or a little better?

I'd say a lot more than Educational rates IMO.

I'd say a lot more than Educational rates IMO.

That's what I thought.

They aked you not to tell anyone Cara? Because I think we would understand if you had a 25% discount on everything or something like that.

That's what I thought.

They aked you not to tell anyone Cara? Because I think we would understand if you had a 25% discount on everything or something like that.

It's one of those things that isn't supposed to be discussed, kinda like salary. From my understanding different division (Retail/Corporate) get different discounts but I'm not entirely sure.

How much does a company like Best Buy pay per MacBook (or Apple charge companies for MacBook)? Best Buy employees get what Best Buy pays + 10% off and from what I've heard they also get 55% of the Best Buy Product Service Plans. :|

Companies like Best Buy and Futureshop really go cheap on accessories. I asked one my friends working in Futureshop to pick up an adapter to connect my ipod to my car's input. I was shocked on hearing that with the original price tag of 100$, he got his staff discount and paid just 20$ :p for it.

great deal there ;)

Apple Prepping for Notebook Refresh?

Signs are starting to appear that Apple may be prepping for a revision of their Mac laptops in the near future. Following up a previous Commercial Times report that pointed to a Q3 (July-September) order for MacBook displays, the paper now reports that Apple has increased its order of "notebook-use printed circuit boards" by 20% this quarter.

Meanwhile, Apple has notified Best Buy that they would have limited MacBook shipments over the next two weeks. While retail inventories alone aren't typically an accurate predictor of Apple product refreshes, combined with these other reports it may be more suggestive.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/18/apple-...tebook-refresh/

Hold your horses! I think August may be true! :D :D

Apple Prepping for Notebook Refresh?

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/18/apple-...tebook-refresh/

Hold your horses! I think August may be true! :D :D

Or it could be due to a shortage of LCD Panels causing a slow down in MacBook / MacBook Pro productions thus Apple reallocating more to their own Higher Education sales to make sure they have enough available for Back to School purchases. ;)

Check Apple's own shipping time which indicates the local stock level.

Not saying it won't happen, but how many times have there been 'Stock Level Drops' and still product refreshes didn't happen? Quite a few.

post-14112-1216404335.png

post-14112-1216404341.png

^Hm, why are memory and processor switched around in the base MBP specs? :p

Or it could be due to a shortage of LCD Panels causing a slow down in MacBook / MacBook Pro productions thus Apple reallocating more to their own Higher Education sales to make sure they have enough available for Back to School purchases.

And I'm just thinking... if the Back to School offer is used to clear out stock, would they still increase the production of the 'old' model?

edit: nice new avatar cara :)

Edited by MrFuji

And I'm just thinking... if the Back to School offer is used to clear out stock, would they still increase the production of the 'old' model?

But you have to ask yourself the question : is the back to school offer used to clear out Macs or iTouches? It wouldn't make sense to clear out every line of Mac, so obviously they want to clear the iTouches for a new revision in September or October.

But I still think a notebook refresh is due very soon, the same goes for the Mini, because the mini is supposed to be a good POS for switchers, but right now it's worthless. Apple cannot accumulate lateness if the new processor is out since before yesterday. I mean... they can't wait a month or two, other companies will take advantage of Apple's lateness otherwise. Think different, but also think 'marketing' ;)

(is that you on the avatar, Cara?)

"We're proud to report the best June quarter for both revenue and earnings in Apple's history," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We set a new record for Mac sales, we think we have a real winner with our new iPhone 3G, and we're busy finishing several more wonderful new products to launch in the coming months."

Anyone else thinking MacBook and MacBook Pro? :D

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/21/app...osts.1b.profit/

There is actually a very simple reason behind this.

Apple keeps their pricing the same even when they upgrade a product, if prices were lowered as they got older each upgraded product would have a perceived price hike which would be more likely to affect a consumer's thinking that Apple is more expensive. That being said, if they look at a MacBook at $1299 that has a 2.0GHz processor, then the next day they see it's a 2.4GHz processor STILL for $1299 they view it as getting the upgrade at no extra cost.

It's all in perception. :)

As for people waiting to buy a product at some point in the year? This is typically limited to enthusiasts, the day before an upgrade drop in your local Apple Store and watch, in an hour they will sell 5/10 computers to people who don't know or care that an upgrade is right around the corner. :)

Cara, Apple currently has an issue of perception. Most people do believe that Macs cost more than PC's for the same hardware (and for the most part, it is true).

I personally know some people who were turned off to Macs because of their flat-pricing and lack of frequent upgrades. When Apple first announces the upgrades, it's great. At that time, you are getting the state of the art hardware that you really can't get elsewhere for a similar price. However, 5 to 6 months later, the situation is different. Dell and HP have notebooks that not only match the MBP in terms of hardware, but surpass it while costing hundreds less.

As I mentioned in another thread, you can get a Dell notebook with the same CPU as the MPB, an LED-backlit display with the same resolution, the same GPU, twice the memory (same speed), 120GB more HDD space @ 7200 RPM, and still come out paying $200 less. That was actually why a friend of mine got the Dell over the MBP (he called them, and they gave him a super deal where they also threw in a BD-ROM drive. It was still cheaper than the MPB.)

IMO, Apple should do more upgrades more frequently if they are going to do the flat-pricing scheme. That way, they are always ahead of the game.

As for people waiting to buy a product at some point in the year? This is typically limited to enthusiasts, the day before an upgrade drop in your local Apple Store and watch, in an hour they will sell 5/10 computers to people who don't know or care that an upgrade is right around the corner.

If you tell me which day they change their MacBooks, I'll go the day before in an Apple store to watch how well they still sell :p

(that was just an (already failed) attempt to know the release date of new MacBooks)