New Macbook in August?

Anyone else thinking MacBook and MacBook Pro? :D

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/21/app...osts.1b.profit/

I'm thinking something a bit more, of course I'm sure MacBook and MacBook Pro (Maybe even MacBook Air?) should be seeing an update in the quarter.

Cara, Apple currently has an issue of perception. Most people do believe that Macs cost more than PC's for the same hardware (and for the most part, it is true).

I personally know some people who were turned off to Macs because of their flat-pricing and lack of frequent upgrades. When Apple first announces the upgrades, it's great. At that time, you are getting the state of the art hardware that you really can't get elsewhere for a similar price. However, 5 to 6 months later, the situation is different. Dell and HP have notebooks that not only match the MBP in terms of hardware, but surpass it while costing hundreds less.

As I mentioned in another thread, you can get a Dell notebook with the same CPU as the MPB, an LED-backlit display with the same resolution, the same GPU, twice the memory (same speed), 120GB more HDD space @ 7200 RPM, and still come out paying $200 less. That was actually why a friend of mine got the Dell over the MBP (he called them, and they gave him a super deal where they also threw in a BD-ROM drive. It was still cheaper than the MPB.)

IMO, Apple should do more upgrades more frequently if they are going to do the flat-pricing scheme. That way, they are always ahead of the game.

I'm still not sold on the more common updates, I really feel that would devalue the existing Mac's on the market which is something that I know many users have cherished for years. Right now I could take the Mac I'm using right now, and have been for many months, and sell it for near what I paid for it even on what most people consider to be the eve of updates. Why? Because Apple is well known to maintain their value, price, and performance. If you start doing fast updates you start to cheapen the existing products each time you update for a minor change in technology.

Keeping things to major updates, which I will admit we are being in several areas for the moment (BluRay), is the best plan for the (near) future. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Mac Notebook and iPod Updates in September?

AppleInsider claims that Apple resellers have received notice that MacBook, MacBook Pro and iPod supplies will become constrained in the coming weeks. Apple expects to decrease production of these models and, as a result, Apple is recommending that resellers stock up on supplies now to last them through August.

"Based on past experiences and knowledge of their own inventory sell-through, those resellers who received the bulletin believe the notice is a strong indicator that Apple will begin introducing its holiday consumer electronics and Mac offerings sometime in early to mid-September."

Apple has refreshed their iPod lineup in September for the past 2 years and is widely expected to do the same again this year. Apple's free iPod Touch Back to School promotion coincidentally ends on September 15th.

Source: MacRumors

Any bets on September 16th? Coincidentally a Tuesday...

I'm tempted to purchase a MacBook Pro before school starts. I'd hate to be in my classes without a laptop. Apple should release a new MacBook or MacBook Pro as soon as possible.

Im waiting until well after that, the last thing i want to do is a leo laporte and buy a MacBook right before they upgrade.

I'd say a lot more than Educational rates IMO.
That's what I thought.

They aked you not to tell anyone Cara? Because I think we would understand if you had a 25% discount on everything or something like that.

Non-retail (although, I think it's the same for retail employees, too) apple employees get 25% off apple hardware (when ordered through apple's internal website), 50% off apple software, and 10% off any purchases made within an apple store.

I'm not an employee, so I can freely dish out the info :p

Hmmm, good rebates.... very good in fact.

I almost wish Apple will need industrial engineers in 4 years? :p

Well if they estbalished something in my province (QC) I would be seriously interested, but this is not going to happen... because I'm quite happy here :(

Yea, I don't know of any other apple facilities outside of Cupertino, CA. They just bought an old HP facility about 2 years ago? And they're slowly moving people over there. It's only a few miles from their main HQ.