New Macbook in August?

The Mac Pros you can upgrade everything easily, the mini macs and can upgrade easily, macbook pros and macbooks both can be upgraded.... I don't know about imacs.

So i really don't know what your on about, and also upgrading these days is almost useless anyways and a waste of money.

if your going to bring the air into it then why don't we talk about Asus eeepc?

How do you easily upgrade the Mac mini? Opening it up voids the warranty. And it's not very easy getting to the MacBook Pro's hard drive.

Just for the record, the Dell E-Series (Next line after the Latitude D-Series) is Brushed, Dyed, Anodized Aluminum so obviously they thought something of Aluminum. ;)

I found it oddly entertaining you picked the Air to compare given it's specialty nature...

1. Why do Mac people assume that all Windows users buy computers from OEMs?

2. You don't dye and anodize something.

3. You're dripping smug on your keyboard... ;)

When dual-core Pentiums came out a 4-5 years back, I bought case, power supply, a Pentium D 830. (3GHz) I got an Intel motherboard, a gig of RAM, an 80 gig hard drive, an nVidia 6600, and a CD burner. The motherboard died, so I got a newer one. (Still Intel - $80) I swapped out the CD burner for a DVD burner. (Pioneer - $40) More memory? 1G - $40. Upgrade to a GeForce 8600? $75. 2 more gigs of RAM last month? $45. Runs Vista? Like a champ. Could I have done that with a Mac? Not a chance in hell. I've kept my computer upgraded for YEARS for $280. What's the TCO of the Mac that I would have bought 4-5 years ago?

Edited by GreyWolfSC

^It all depends.

A 4-5 year old laptop wouldn't be upgradeable, just like a MacBook. But if I'm not mistaken a MacPro can be upgraded as easily as a PC. Also, I *think* that Apple computers don't lose their value as fast as "normal" computers so that one can easily sell it for a good price. And then that opens up possibilities for a newer Mac :)

Oh my, I'm starting to defend Apple although I never actually owned a Mac myself ^^

MacBook's are still somewhat upgradeable though. In terms of RAM and HDD space. The rest is pretty hard to upgrade.

MrFuji: That's nothing, I've successfully convinced others to buy a Mac, even though I've never owned one.

1. Why do Mac people assume that all Windows users buy computers from OEMs?

2. You don't dye and anodize something.

3. You're dripping smug on your keyboard... ;)

When dual-core Pentiums came out a 4-5 years back, I bought case, power supply, a Pentium D 830. (3GHz) I got an Intel motherboard, a gig of RAM, an 80 gig hard drive, an nVidia 6600, and a CD burner. The motherboard died, so I got a newer one. (Still Intel - $80) I swapped out the CD burner for a DVD burner. (Pioneer - $40) More memory? 1G - $40. Upgrade to a GeForce 8600? $75. 2 more gigs of RAM last month? $45. Runs Vista? Like a champ. Could I have done that with a Mac? Not a chance in hell. I've kept my computer upgraded for YEARS for $280. What's the TCO of the Mac that I would have bought 4-5 years ago?

1. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of Windows users buy OEM computers, perhaps not power users but Dell/HP didn't gain their market-share with homebuilders. :)

2. No, but it is easier to use that as a description rather than the technical process of changing the metal's color, I admit it was far from technically accurate however the concept itself got across that Dell is now using a aluminum case that is virtually the same as Apple's except for the coloring.

3. Hardly, when I saw the new Dell i was quite impressed by it, it felt like an Apple and a Lenovo were mixed together to form the new Dell Enclosure.

Actually when you consider that an Apple system from 4-5 years ago will (most likely) still be running OS X 10.4 or 10.5 with more than sufficient performance stock I'd say that is a $0 cost of upgrade... However, for the sake of discussion...

I'll even go a bit further for you, PowerMac G4 Mirrored Drive Doors from 2003.

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory Model KVR333X64C25/1G - Retail x2 (2GB) - $69.98

SAMSUNG 20X DVD?R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S202J - OEM - $22.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJB 320GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM - $69.99

Total $162.96>

Given the original GeForce Ti-400 is more than capable of handling todays applications on the Mac, no need to even try to upgrade it. Keep in mind, this is on a machine from 2003 so it's 5 years old and after those upgrades would be a wonderful system that would handle as well as any PPC Mac out there.:))

How do you easily upgrade the Mac mini? Opening it up voids the warranty. And it's not very easy getting to the MacBook Pro's hard drive.

and opening a dell or hp machine is not voiding the warranty?

as for the mac pros, hard or not you still can.

• 2 weeks later...
The Mac Pros you can upgrade everything easily, the mini macs and can upgrade easily, macbook pros and macbooks both can be upgraded.... I don't know about imacs.

Oh yeah? Try to change the HD in a MBP see how easy it really is...

Oh yeah? Try to change the HD in a MBP see how easy it really is...

With a little know-how and some patience, it's really not that hard, I have done it at the shop before in 20 minutes. As long as you remember which screws go where and you are gentle with the casing, you won't have a problem.

With that being said, Cara is right about the longevity of a Mac vs a PC. I used to upgrade every 6 months to keep "on top" of performance, however with my MacBook Pro, it's still as fast as the day I bought it and I have no intentions of upgrading it in the near future (sans AppleCare extended warranty in December).

Also, as far as pitting, I have never encountered it, and I use my MacBook Pro in a variety of environments every day for hours on end (at home on the sofa and in my office, at work, etc.) and it still looks brand new, no scratches or scuffs on the entire computer (I use iKlear Apple Polish on it every now and then to keep it clean and to help remove any oil from contact with skin... my MacBook Pro thanks me for it).

So, will there be a new MacBook in August? I'd love to know because I plan on purchasing one for university.

Don't you void AppleCare if you change parts like that? Or if you remove the screws and everything?

Theoretically and morally speaking, yes, changing parts or disassembling the computer would void the AppleCare warranty, with some exceptions, which I believe includes upgrading memory and hard disks inside of a Mac Pro, memory in a MacBook Pro, memory and hard disk in a MacBook, and memory in an iMac. However, if you are careful enough and do not leave any tool marks during the process then you should not have an issue; if an issue does arise you could always swap in the original parts if you still have them.

Your best bet though to avoid any chances of voiding your AppleCare warranty would be to take the computer into an Apple Authorized Service Provider or an Apple Store and get them to perform the upgrade, if you're nice about it. and sometimes depending on the store (more so with Authorized Service Providers/Repair Technicians) they won't charge you any labor fees.

So, will there be a new MacBook in August? I'd love to know because I plan on purchasing one for university.

My personal opinion is highly unlikely.

I have a feeling we will see an updated MacBook model in mid to late August. That's why I will probably wait until around mid-August myself before making the purchase.

Do you guys suggest buying it in person, or online?

I have a feeling we will see an updated MacBook model in mid to late August. That's why I will probably wait until around mid-August myself before making the purchase.

Do you guys suggest buying it in person, or online?

Mid-September. :)

I always buy (new) at the store, but thats just because I have 4 in close range to me. ;) Now for most other people, Online is great since you have the refurb store.

Mid-September. :)

I always buy (new) at the store, but thats just because I have 4 in close range to me. ;) Now for most other people, Online is great since you have the refurb store.

I won't be buying refurbished for sure. But I'm not sure whether I will buy it online or in the Apple store. The Apple Store is a good 45 minute drive from where I live, but then again I could pop into my local London Drugs (authorized Apple reseller) and pick one up.

However, I don't think London Drugs would honour my student discount right? In that case it'd be worth the drive to goto the actual store.

I won't be buying refurbished for sure. But I'm not sure whether I will buy it online or in the Apple store. The Apple Store is a good 45 minute drive from where I live, but then again I could pop into my local London Drugs (authorized Apple reseller) and pick one up.

However, I don't think London Drugs would honour my student discount right? In that case it'd be worth the drive to goto the actual store.

That is a huge grey area. Authorized Resellers are supposed to honor discounts, however not all do. :p

Make the Drive, have the experience of buying it from a Retail Site... :)

Yeah, I don't think they will honour the student discount. I know for a fact that Future Shop/Best Buy doesn't. I'll probably make the drive. :yes:

BTW: I was wondering if the MacBook has like a built-in Mic or anything? Something to record lectures. If not I guess I could buy an adaptor for my iPod Nano and use it to record lectures.

BTW: I was wondering if the MacBook has like a built-in Mic or anything? Something to record lectures. If not I guess I could buy an adaptor for my iPod Nano and use it to record lectures.

I'm pretty sure it has... yeah:

Built-in omnidirectional microphone

Source

It does, and a very high quality one at that. Lectures should sound great with it.

I don't have a problem with Apple updating their product lines every couple months but one problem I do have is the pricing. For example, and iMac can come out and there can be no revisions at all for almost a year but the price never changes. There is no reason, especially with a computer, why the price can't go down during that time period. Even if it was a minuscule amount like $5-10 a month. Then, when the new revision comes out make it the same base price again. If Apple did something like this then I bet a lot more people would buy their products more evenly throughout the year because there would be very little reason to wait for a new revision.

I don't have a problem with Apple updating their product lines every couple months but one problem I do have is the pricing. For example, and iMac can come out and there can be no revisions at all for almost a year but the price never changes. There is no reason, especially with a computer, why the price can't go down during that time period. Even if it was a minuscule amount like $5-10 a month. Then, when the new revision comes out make it the same base price again. If Apple did something like this then I bet a lot more people would buy their products more evenly throughout the year because there would be very little reason to wait for a new revision.

There is actually a very simple reason behind this.

Apple keeps their pricing the same even when they upgrade a product, if prices were lowered as they got older each upgraded product would have a perceived price hike which would be more likely to affect a consumer's thinking that Apple is more expensive. That being said, if they look at a MacBook at $1299 that has a 2.0GHz processor, then the next day they see it's a 2.4GHz processor STILL for $1299 they view it as getting the upgrade at no extra cost.

It's all in perception. :)

As for people waiting to buy a product at some point in the year? This is typically limited to enthusiasts, the day before an upgrade drop in your local Apple Store and watch, in an hour they will sell 5/10 computers to people who don't know or care that an upgrade is right around the corner. :)

There is actually a very simple reason behind this.

Apple keeps their pricing the same even when they upgrade a product, if prices were lowered as they got older each upgraded product would have a perceived price hike which would be more likely to affect a consumer's thinking that Apple is more expensive. That being said, if they look at a MacBook at $1299 that has a 2.0GHz processor, then the next day they see it's a 2.4GHz processor STILL for $1299 they view it as getting the upgrade at no extra cost.

I just view it as the people who bought it 3 weeks before a new release got ripped off. The only time an Apple product is worth what you paid for it is right at it's launch. If you buy an Apple product 6 months into it's life cycle you basically paid way too much for it.

I just view it as the people who bought it 3 weeks before a new release got ripped off. The only time an Apple product is worth what you paid for it is right at it's launch.

Perception. :) Though I might agree with you, and have even advised family members and friends to wait when I knew an upgrade was near, most average users will use their Mac 3-5 years so they don't care that they missed out on a 200MHz bump and will love their machine for its life.