• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New Macbook in August?

Xero    15

Apples prices aren't that bad, especially when you consider what Cara said about them upgrading the specs at the same cost. Apple does occasionally lower the cost of their products even as they upgrade them (iPods, iPhones) but computers are a different business and they don't sell nearly as many compared to iPods/iPhones. I really like knowing that I will be able to get new hardware sometimes drastically different for the same price as the cheaper hardware, and those who don't care will be able to get the older hardware much cheaper because the new hardware costs the same as it did prior to upgrade. Apple does lower prices though, for example the high end iMac is cheaper than it was before they upgraded it with the 3.06ghz processor.

Sure you can get a cheaper computer with similar specs or hell maybe even exactly the same part for part (aside from the case) Look at it as a chair, sure a regular kitchen chair will get the job done, but a fancy La-Z-Boy will do the same job but be a hell of a lot more enjoyable to use. Thats why people buy Macs, because its more enjoyable to use, and it certain cases, it actually works, unlike some others. :ninja:

Like stated at the start of the thread Apples school promo ends in September so I doubt you will see a revision until after, like Cara said (i think) its a great way for them to clear out stock for the new models. If your not in a rush rush, I'd wait. If you are, the current ones are still really good.

sn00pie    2

Darn, so when you say mid-September, you really mean mid-September. I could wait until then, but that would mean 2 weeks of no laptop and no time to get familiar with OS X.

Those are the reasons why I want to purchase in August. :/

Edit: Isn't there some sort of promotion from Apple; if you buy there product and it gets updated with xx number of days, or is it a price change, that they work it out for you. By that I mean a refund or give you the extra money back? I remember hearing about a similar policy.

Edited by Game

Cara    0
Darn, so when you say mid-September, you really mean mid-September. I could wait until then, but that would mean 2 weeks of no laptop and no time to get familiar with OS X.

Those are the reasons why I want to purchase in August. :/

If you need the machine now, get the machine now...or when you need it, waiting doesn't always produce the results you are hoping for. For all you know the new revision MacBook's could simply be a 200MHz boost to speed. :)

NeoXY    7

Plus you have 14 days to take it back to get a refund right? Beside, doesn't Apple offer users a new revision free of charge if the user bought the old model right before it new one came out?

Cara    0
Plus you have 14 days to take it back to get a refund right? Beside, doesn't Apple offer users a new revision free of charge if the user bought the old model right before it new one came out?

Only if purchased within 14 days, at which time the unit can be returned (minus restocking fee) and then the new model purchased.

sn00pie    2

In that case, couldn't I buy it, return it in 13 days, buy it again and return it in 13 days, continue that until the new ones came out? :D

NeoXY    7
In that case, couldn't I buy it, return it in 13 days, buy it again and return it in 13 days, continue that until the new ones came out? :D

While I'm sure there is some kind of policy against that, if you feel like loading on your settings, files and all every 13 days, by all means?

Cara    0

You are limited to a certain number of returns, per person, per product to limit abuse. So...No.

sn00pie    2

I was just joking around about the returning thing. ;)

But I've been researching on a few Apple forums and saw an interesting thread on MacInsider Forums, it's pretty good discussion on a new MacBook or MB Pro.

As you can see I'm just convincing myself that a updated model will come before September. :(

Cara    0
I was just joking around about the returning thing. ;)

But I've been researching on a few Apple forums and saw an interesting thread on MacInsider Forums, it's pretty good discussion on a new MacBook or MB Pro.

As you can see I'm just convincing myself that a updated model will come before September. :(

Never buy into rumors.

Cadium    1
Never buy into rumors.

I always go with the "buy it when you need it" rule, it's not as if an update is going to render your computer defunct. :)

crazzy88ss    65
If you need the machine now, get the machine now...or when you need it, waiting doesn't always produce the results you are hoping for. For all you know the new revision MacBook's could simply be a 200MHz boost to speed. :)

Not this time; it's much more than a new processor.

Cara    0

Oh? ;)

crazzy88ss    65

According to that, 6 hours of battery life would be GODLY.

Cadium    1
According to that, 6 hours of battery life would be GODLY.

I get between 5 and 6 hours of battery life on my MacBook Pro, which is close to 7 months old.

Xero    15

I'd have to agree with him Cara, we've already confirmed the new enclosures. Plus a new keyboard layout for both macbook pro and macbook that match the airs. That alone would be reason enough to wait for me. I dislike the current mbp keyboard. I doubt the specs will change too much, but I think we are looking at a significant redesign.

sn00pie    2

What your saying is pretty much bang on Xero. I've been on a few Mac enthusiast websites in the past few days figuring out whether or not I should wait or not.

From what I've seen it is going to be definitely worth waiting for if I can. I would prefer to have a laptop in my hands at least a week before school starts, because I'm not used to the OS X system and I will need a few days to get used to it. That new aluminum enclosure is going to be very sexy compared to the plastic on the current MacBook. I'm willing to pay the extra hundred bucks if I'm getting the latest from Apple. :)

From what I've seen and read it wouldn't be that nice of Apple to sell thousands of MacBooks to students only to replace them with a model a few weeks later. Besides they did update the iMac during the back to school promo last year. (I think it was last year?)

But the problem is Cara knows more than anyone else, and what she says regarding Apple is usually right. :(

+StevoFC    21
I'd have to agree with him Cara, we've already confirmed the new enclosures. Plus a new keyboard layout for both macbook pro and macbook that match the airs. That alone would be reason enough to wait for me. I dislike the current mbp keyboard. I doubt the specs will change too much, but I think we are looking at a significant redesign.

for all we know the macbook keyboard could be backlit also ;)

sn00pie    2

Update: Well the Paris Expo starts on September 17th, and with the back to school promo ending on the 15th, it could be a perfect setting for old MacBooks to be gone and new ones to roll in... :(

But I also found an article saying Apple pulled out of the Expo.

Cara    0
Update: Well the Paris Expo starts on September 17th, and with the back to school promo ending on the 15th, it could be a perfect setting for old MacBooks to be gone and new ones to roll in... :(

But I also found an article saying Apple pulled out of the Expo.

My information is just going off previous promotions / update cycles. :)

PyX    140

Hah. I think I am finally ready to buy a Macbook. I'll have the money in the current of August, so I hope they'll have their new lines refreshed at this time. I'd really like to sell the iPod that comes with it :)

+primortal    14,139
Apples prices aren't that bad, especially when you consider what Cara said about them upgrading the specs at the same cost. Apple does occasionally lower the cost of their products even as they upgrade them (iPods, iPhones) but computers are a different business and they don't sell nearly as many compared to iPods/iPhones. I really like knowing that I will be able to get new hardware sometimes drastically different for the same price as the cheaper hardware, and those who don't care will be able to get the older hardware much cheaper because the new hardware costs the same as it did prior to upgrade. Apple does lower prices though, for example the high end iMac is cheaper than it was before they upgraded it with the 3.06ghz processor.

Sure you can get a cheaper computer with similar specs or hell maybe even exactly the same part for part (aside from the case) Look at it as a chair, sure a regular kitchen chair will get the job done, but a fancy La-Z-Boy will do the same job but be a hell of a lot more enjoyable to use. Thats why people buy Macs, because its more enjoyable to use, and it certain cases, it actually works, unlike some others. :ninja:

Like stated at the start of the thread Apples school promo ends in September so I doubt you will see a revision until after, like Cara said (i think) its a great way for them to clear out stock for the new models. If your not in a rush rush, I'd wait. If you are, the current ones are still really good.

I wonder if Apple would lower the prices of their laptops (they can't be that expensive to make) to compete with Dell/HP/Gateway would they see a boost in purchases? I can't see spending almost double for apple laptop, I can get a Dell XPS laptop $1000 cheaper with more features than an 17" MacBook Pro :(

I buy one in a heart beat if the prices were comparitive....

PyX    140

It'd be nice if they did constant drops of 0.1% on their computers every 24 hour :p

Say a line takes 200 days to be refreshed, at the end you get a 20% rebate. Not bad ?

ynnoj    23
I wonder if Apple would lower the prices of their laptops (they can't be that expensive to make) to compete with Dell/HP/Gateway would they see a boost in purchases? I can't see spending almost double for apple laptop, I can get a Dell XPS laptop $1000 cheaper with more features than an 17" MacBook Pro :(

I buy one in a heart beat if the prices were comparitive....

Not a chance, sales are already on the rise.

+primortal    14,139

Even refurbished are just as expensive....