Wall-E (2008)

Copied? Not in a plagiarism type sense. I just think the creation of the robot was very bland and that it could have been a bit more "modern" to the tune of something like I Robot for instance, that's all.

Think about it for a second in the "top secret" video that the auto pilot showed the captain it said that the cleanup project had failed, which leads me to assume a whole bunch of Wall-e were trying to clean up the earth, you see a few of them while wall-e is travelling. They are now their 250odd thousandth day since the 5 year mission which is 702 years of technological progress, its like you going back 700 years and complaining things arent as modern as today, thats the only reason wall-e was a basic robot since we cant create robots with AI that are anywhere near as advanced as the i robot robots.

Anyone know where some nice widescreen (big) wallpapers can be found from this movie? There were some beautiful scenes that would make gorgeous backgrounds :)

1680x1050 would be wonderful.

Great film! I also agree with Napalm Frog's analysis of the movie's theme.

Wow what a cute and original movie that was. I had some doubt that the movie would be too childish but it has so much humor in it and a good story. I can confidently say it was a 10/10. Also the Mac guys will like the Apple start up sound WALL-E dose when he is done charging up. Like me if you do not think you would like it I would say 9 out of 10 will and the movie looked so cool. Take the kids they will love it and everyone else.

Not just that, but he manages to use a 700 year old iPod? Well with Apple's head honcho still behind Pixar the Apple product placement is not surprising at all. Also note that his name shows up first in the 'Special Thanks' credits. ;)

The bunny mini-cartoon at the begining was pretty epic too.

That cartoon was epic! Anyone know if they include those shorts on their DVDs?

edit: It's on ITMS.

Edited by rm20010

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Wall-E. The beginning is so engrossing that you dont even notice the lack of dialog. I definately rate it as one of the best movies I've seen, and better than any of the other Pixar movies. But thats just my $0.0199999.

And seriously...couldn't they be more original and not copy short circuit
Man I thought I was the only one who made that connection. It looks like a modernized movie for kids or something. I wont be rushing out to see it but if I happen to come across it on tv when it makes it there, I might watch it.

To those who are comparing it to short circuit.. well it's nothing like it. Wall-E is basically a traveling trash-compacting robot, and his form matches his function. I honestly don't see that many similarities in the two, aside from the fact that they both have triangular shaped tracks. I'm sure if you did a search you would find many robots which feature a similar design, and most likely some that pre-date Short Circuit.

Comparisons aside.. I thought this was an outstanding movie. When the credits rolled everyone in the theatre remained seated, and mind you I only noticed one child in the audience. Pixar did an amazing job with the animation. The story sealed the deal for me though. It was relevant considering the current global environmental crisis that we are currently facing. I'm not sure how that would turn someone off, as a previous poster mentioned, but to each his own. This was much more than a children's movie to me, and I'll certainly be buying it whenever it comes out on DVD. I wouldn't mind finding a clip of the rabbit/magician short movie from the beginning either. Does anyone know if it is available for download?

Wow. Pixar has set the bar pretty high. WALL-E himself was an incredible achievement in character animation, the visuals on earth were perfect, the story was great....

There's really nothing bad that can be said about this movie.

I don't think the message was about really about environmentalism, but more about the dangerous of Corporatism.

Buy 'n' Large, is your superstore. We've got all you need, and so much more. Happiness is what we sell. That's why everyone loves BNL.

I saw it and loved it! Even with the lack of dialog for like the first half, it was great. You can relate with a lot of the feelings Wall-E has and it's a very well developed character!

The one thing that really got me though was how they put a bunch of environmentalist crap into a movie centered on kids! Don't we get enough of that bull about how we are all going to die from climate issues if we don't change our bad habits on the news, let alone showing (what I assume), are supposed to be its affects after time in a kids movie? It just gets old, but it seems like a lot of people who are into creative stuff like graphic design, and animation are generally pretty liberal, so I'm not super surprised. This is not meant to be flamebait, but is just my opinion.

Even with that issue, I would still rate a 9/10.

For those that didn't know this, there is even a Buy N large web site. Looks like it is a legit one until you peel it away. Very funny indeed.

LINK

I liked EVE the most, her voice was sooo cute. (Wall-e!?)

:yes:

I loooooooved the movie. Best Pixar film to date imo. The story was absolutely beautiful. And I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with such lovable characters.

I heard this movie was pretty good, so I resisted downloading a copy and actually paying to see it properly, and I can tell you it's worth every penny. (For once!)

I spent the whole time watching with my jaw open in amazement, this is an outstanding movie - from the introductory skit you are 100% engaged until the credits. Most films have some boring scenes offset with great ones - but Wall-E is a perfect balance, I didn't want to take my eyes off the screen for a second; I felt completely immersed in the movie.

The trailer does not do the movie justice. When I first saw it I too thought "blah", I wasn't going to bother watching it until I read about the great reviews its gotten. You should not watch the trailer and think that this is a Short-Circuit re-hash or Environmental propaganda - it's not. This is Pixar's finest work, I have no idea how they can top this.

great movie :)

very different from the normal pixar stuff, but still great and groundbreaking

also i want a sony AIBO, bring them back!!!! and make a Wall-E clone!

I went to see the film yesterday and I absolutely loved it.

Especially when he charges his battery and the Mac boot-up sound when it's full :rofl:

So many awesome easter eggs in the film and the auto pilot just screams GLaDOS in resemblance :D

Loved it, lived up to my expectations, glad I went and saw it :D It has a very Pixar-ey feel to it, and I thought the post-apocalyptic setting really helped make it a good film.

I like how everyone thinks it's sweet that Eve got together with Wall-E, but he was the last man on earth for crying out loud! :p

Especially when he charges his battery and the Mac boot-up sound when it's full :rofl:

Yes, I had a major nerdgasm there :laugh:. I was like "Uhh, did everyone just miss that or something?!"

The best movie I've seen in a while. I was amazed that they didn't need dialog. A lot of people criticize that, but I find it amazing; you can only do a minimal-dialog film if you can keep it interesting, and they did that perfectly.

^I agree. A real testament to their story telling, without dialog! It was the small maneurisms of him that won me over.

Brilliant film.

Very funny.

And what about the short film that preceeded it? Oh man, that was histerical. So funny, when the rabbit had the magicians hand through the hat and put it in the draw and slammed it shut.