• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Barclays Premier League

Barclays Premier League 2008/09  

375 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kralik    3
Could be out of their hands now in a way...they will need to win but other results I think could go against them.

I was thinking the same.. but they must win to give themselves a chance.. and will need some favourable results..

Pompey play Sunderland tomorrow.. Toon needs Pompey to win.. that will save Pompey and Sunderland will be on the verge of elimination coz they play Chelsea last while Pompey play Wigan..

Hull might pull off a draw again United next Sunday coz United will play a weakened squad due to UCL final in a couple of days time so thats not good news for Newcastle either and top of that they must beat Villa on their turf which will be tough.. and ofcourse Westham should beat or get a draw against Boro.. I however feel Toon won't beat Villa and will go down.. Owen, Martins and many others will be up for grabs.. any Newcastle players you would like to be in your squad next year? Anyone wants Barton??

NEWCASTLE UNITED SQUAD LIST

Goalkeeper:

13 Steve Harper 34 Fraser Forster 40 Tim Krul

Defender:

2 Fabricio Coloccini 3 Jose Enrique 6 Claudio Cacapa 12 Sebastien Bassong 16 Ryan Taylor 21 Habib Beye 27 Steven Taylor 28 Tamas Kadar 30 David Edgar 35 Ben Tozer

Midfielder:

4 Kevin Nolan 7 Joey Barton 8 Danny Guthrie 15 Nacho Gonzalez 20 Geremi 22 Nicky Butt

Attacking Midfielder:

11 Damien Duff 18 Jonas Gutierrez 24 Peter Lovenkrands 38 Kazenga LuaLua

Striker:

9 Obafemi Martins 10 Michael Owen 17 Alan Smith 19 Francisco Tejeda "Xisco" 23 Shola Ameobi 31 Frank Wiafe Danquah 36 Mark Viduka 39 Andrew Carroll 42 Ryan Donaldson 46 Nile Ranger

Edited by Kralik

Austen Boshtin    3

11 league titles for giggsy, surely worth a knighthood? Get that sword out lizzie!

Toon & Boro goin down with the baggies for me, I jus think Hull have a bit more in them to dig out a result against United next week. Although another great escape is on for west brom, depending on todays result

Subject Delta    108

Barring an unlikely combination of results, 2nd should be in the bag for Liverpool now, and only a goal away from beating the prem record of most consecutive games in which a team has scored 3 or more. Still a pretty decent season and positives to build upon for next year.

Subject Delta    108

Why the heck should Benitez be respectful? Alex Ferguson is (probably second only to Mourinho) one of the most arrogant and unsporting managers in existance. Not to mention the fact that United managed to win the title without being the best team over the course of the season.

Ferguson has spent the whole season mouthing off at benitez, playing his usual childish mind games. Really fergie deserves a good hard kick in the nuts from rafa, not a handshake.

Oh, and just for the hell of it i'm gonna 'do a mail' and introduce a picture :D

14273599.jpg

Choke on that

smashguy    6

I vote N. Anelka! :D

Crazysah    7
I vote N. Anelka! :D

Now you vote?

gregb0b    11

Stay classy Benitez!

Subject Delta    108

Jibes about class from a supporter of a team that has a player facing disciplinary over swearing at match officials? Irony overload :laugh:

gregb0b    11

I knew that one would tickle your fancy, he's still a disgrace.

mail    10
I knew that one would tickle your fancy, he's still a disgrace.

It's too easy :p

Subject Delta    108

Isn't it time that the pair of you grew up?

Also gregb0b ever heard the saying "those in greenhouses shouldn't throw stones" amazing that you are quick to criticize others yet where strangely silent about drogba's offense (a lot worse than anything Rafa has ever done)

gregb0b    11
Isn't it time that the pair of you grew up?

Also gregb0b ever heard the saying "those in greenhouses shouldn't throw stones" amazing that you are quick to criticize others yet where strangely silent about drogba's offense (a lot worse than anything Rafa has ever done)

Silent? I suggest you go back a few pages on the uefa thread. I clearly stated I don't support what he did as well as ballack. We were robbed and anyone who thinks Chelsea wasn't should open their eyes. There is a different sense of respect when it comes to managers and players and their actions. I personally think from a managerial perspective one shouldn't act that way. It's bitter sweet that we knocked Liverpool out of the CL two years in a row though :). At least we have a chance at a piece of silverware this year.

Kralik    3
Silent? I suggest you go back a few pages on the uefa thread. I clearly stated I don't support what he did as well as ballack. We were robbed and anyone who thinks Chelsea wasn't should open their eyes. There is a different sense of respect when it comes to managers and players and their actions. I personally think from a managerial perspective one shouldn't act that way. It's bitter sweet that we knocked Liverpool out of the CL two years in a row though :). At least we have a chance at a piece of silverware this year.

Robbed shmobbed.. You missed so many chances.. Drogba missed a sitter and him lashing out at the end was a vague attempt to cover that up.. he didn't want ppl to blame him again so he tried to divert attention by staging an act.. I agree with Frank Drogba is like Ade.. brilliant or useless.. but he is more controversial than Ade coz of his antics on the ground.. Barca were 1 man down and showed their class by needing just 1 shot on target.. if your opponents are a man down and you have more shots on goals and still can't win then you have no right to say you were robbed.. Ballack is actually lucky UEFA are not punishing him for almost hitting the referee.. and all this the year 'Respect' campaign is launched.. guess who as a 'disgrace' that night?

Edited by Kralik

Martyn    5

Chelsea were hardly robbed, and in my opinion the team who demonstrated the best football over the two legs went through.

If Chelsea were 'robbed', then they must be the first team in history to have been with such little possession. You horrible lot averaged 25% over the two legs didn't you?

Too much is also being made over the penalty decisions. None of them were clear cut penalities in my opinion, but I like to think it is karma for the huge rub of the green Chelsea have had in the past. The fact that the referee has received death threats and had to be smuggled out of the country under armed protection says a lot about Chelsea fans.

I like the way you convieniantly produced the argument that managers should be more respectful than players to suit you. Do you not remember Jose Mourinho? As much as I like the guy he was the least respectful manager English football has ever seen. Drogba, Ballack, Malouda, Kalou etc have almost as little class as Chelsea.

Well done for knocking us out for two years in a row, it seems to be all you really care about. It is nice to know you have a European Cup or two or five to show for your troubles like we do. Oh wait.

JoeC    107

Handbags at ten paces, ladies :p

On a more positive note, can't wait for the final, just over a week to go :D Should be a great match.

Martyn    5
Handbags at ten paces, ladies :p

This is lukewarm for this thread ;)

+Audioboxer    2,876
Why the heck should Benitez be respectful? Alex Ferguson is (probably second only to Mourinho) one of the most arrogant and unsporting managers in existance. Not to mention the fact that United managed to win the title without being the best team over the course of the season.

Ferguson has spent the whole season mouthing off at benitez, playing his usual childish mind games. Really fergie deserves a good hard kick in the nuts from rafa, not a handshake.

Oh, and just for the hell of it i'm gonna 'do a mail' and introduce a picture :D

14273599.jpg

Choke on that

2681395450_88fdc6f1d7.jpg

Oh what the heck, I'm joining in.

deuz    2
I remember you saying you where planning on coming over to Liverpool. Did you enjoy yourself? Where did you go?

Kick those Chelsea fans in the **** mate ;)

I think the title was lost in January, when we failed to win a single league game.

nah i didnt go to liverpool, went to london but there was a liverpool arsenal game on at that time....but stupidly i thought i could get a ticket off the street. next time i come ill try n figure out a way to get tix for a game.

if liverpool dont buy a striker (cough tevez) in the mid season i think next season will end up the same as this season.

Subject Delta    108
Chelsea were hardly robbed, and in my opinion the team who demonstrated the best football over the two legs went through.

If Chelsea were 'robbed', then they must be the first team in history to have been with such little possession. You horrible lot averaged 25% over the two legs didn't you?

Too much is also being made over the penalty decisions. None of them were clear cut penalities in my opinion, but I like to think it is karma for the huge rub of the green Chelsea have had in the past. The fact that the referee has received death threats and had to be smuggled out of the country under armed protection says a lot about Chelsea fans.

I like the way you convieniantly produced the argument that managers should be more respectful than players to suit you. Do you not remember Jose Mourinho? As much as I like the guy he was the least respectful manager English football has ever seen. Drogba, Ballack, Malouda, Kalou etc have almost as little class as Chelsea.

Well done for knocking us out for two years in a row, it seems to be all you really care about. It is nice to know you have a European Cup or two or five to show for your troubles like we do. Oh wait.

LIVERPOOL_682x400_473550a.jpg

When you see that, feel free to gloat. Till then the last laugh is on us :D

Also... Robbed my butt. I can only echo what Martyn has said about Chelsea's past luck, and add to that that I feel they got what they deserved for trying (and inevitably failing) to play 2 legs of defensive football. Liverpool have been criticised for doing it, but the overriding difference is that when we do it, we almost always do it properly.

Chelsea should have gone for the game, and I feel they would have won had they done so. They didn't kill the game off and paid the price. No team should have to rely on being given penalties to win a football match.

And yeah, arguments of respect of any nature coming from chelsea fans... amusing

mail    10

O dear ... must be the "not cracking under pressure" they are demonstrating here :p

deuz    2

mail which team do you support....btw

i cbf going back pages. i hope its not who i think it is.

Martyn    5

O dear ... must be the "not cracking under pressure" they are demonstrating here :p

Well considering Man Utd had already won the league at that point, there was no pressure to crack over.

That argument was down to Carra's annoyance at our poor defending, whilst we were trying to help Pepe get a clean sheet so he can win his 4th successive golden glove.

mail which team do you support....btw

i cbf going back pages. i hope its not who i think it is.

He is a Man Utd fan from Reading. He probably never even watches 'his team', let alone go and see them play.

Subject Delta    108

If you want to talk about cracking under pressure

:laugh:

deuz    2

figures.... troll

LOL at the commentator 'he's trying to get the ball back quickly so they can take the penalty' what a dumbass.